Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Some important things to note for the not so bright:

* Its in Beta
* The release notes state that HQ satellite imagery is not in place yet
* Apple owners now have very good turn-by-turn navigation
* Google will release Google maps on the app store so we can have both
* As far as I am aware the Android marketplace will not be getting Apple Maps

So with all that in mind Im struggling to see the problem :confused:

Corection:
Some Apple owners now have very good turn-by-turn navigation.
:p

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL

* Its in Beta

As someone pointed out earlier, I dont think they fully understand the term "Beta".

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
well then, why don't they keep google maps on there then?

they're selling a £500 phone with two beta features on it.:cool:

Well actually currently Siri is the only feature open to the public that's in beta. Maps is on iOS 6 which is Dev and eager beavers only, not to general public......

Plus they're moving away from google so they don't have to pay google and they have more control...

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I actually rather like their style, I think it's a lot prettier than Google's, and the vectoryness is an improvement.

However, while bugs can be fixed, the disastrous move for me is dropping Streetview. I walk most of the time, and Streetview makes it easy to view my route in advance, and see in advance what my destination looks like. I don't travel by helicopter very often, flyover's not that much use for me, certainly no replacement for Streetview.

So to summarize, I think maps in iOS 6 will be prettier than in 5, but functionally less useful for me.

On a final, brighter note, I'm interested in seeing how it integrates with travel apps though, that has the potential to be very useful, if well implemented...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Well in terms of just Maps for reference use, Google beats them all. But when talking turn by turn navigation, Apple Maps will most likely be just as good or better.

Most of my favorite Navagation apps(like Navigon, Waze & Mapquest) have crappy maps compared to Google, but out perform Google in Navigation.

Having another Navigation/Maps in the game is not a con at all, especially since turn by turn will be much more integrated compared to third party apps.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
This is what a Beta is for.

This isn't even close to Beta. Beta shouldn't have any placeholder data in it. Anyone saying "normal, it's a beta!" doesn't have the first clue about software development stages and it shows.

No seriously, this looks rushed and looks like a vindicative move against Google. Apple seems to not be doing this in the interest of user experience, which is what they should be doing (user experience is key).

Kinda sad to see Apple go down this road. Let's hope unlike their other online services (Ping, iDisk, iWeb hosting), maps doesn't get released then quickly abandonned to rot until Apple gets "tired" of it.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London

* Its in Beta

You are very naieve or you fail to understand what's going on.

The Maps data is not in Beta.
HQ Satellite Imagery probably won't be in place for release, unless new sources come in.
Only iPhone 4S owners have turn-by-turn navigation

The maps (and its data) is simply lacking.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010

* Its in Beta

Just like Google Chrome is in the app store? Just like the fully functional Google+ is in the app store? Right. I don't see Apple or Google letting the iOS equivalent of androids google maps come to the iPhone. Don't hold your breath. Apple Maps will be it.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Just like Google Chrome is in the app store? Just like the fully functional Google+ is in the app store? Right. I don't see Apple or Google letting the iOS equivalent of androids google maps come to the iPhone. Don't hold your breath. Apple Maps will be it.

Google has quite a few apps up on the App Store. :rolleyes:

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I think the term "poor standards" would only apply if this was the final version. It might just be an excuse on their part, but it is also a plausible excuse that you have to accept given the fact Apple themselves warned that not much high res data was available yet. You can't blame somebody for not providing something when they gave you fair warning of that fact in advance.

Fair enough that they did warn about it, but it isn't a flip switch sort of fix that's all.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
This isn't even close to Beta. Beta shouldn't have any placeholder data in it. Anyone saying "normal, it's a beta!" doesn't have the first clue about software development stages and it shows.

No seriously, this looks rushed and looks like a vindicative move against Google. Apple seems to not be doing this in the interest of user experience, which is what they should be doing (user experience is key).

Kinda sad to see Apple go down this road. Let's hope unlike their other online services (Ping, iDisk, iWeb hosting), maps doesn't get released then quickly abandonned to rot until Apple gets "tired" of it.

I think you're misconstruing the difference between a public beta and a closed beta. Things aren't going to be as polished in a closed beta as they are in public.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Google maps is pretty good, but I don't usually need about 80% of the information I'm seeing. I don't need POI's unless I've asked to see them. If I'm on a 20 mile drive to a meeting, why do I need to see a map cluttered with POI's? It would be nice if we could really tailor what info is displayed to us- Google, Apple, whoever.

I'm looking forward to giving Apple maps a try because I like the more minimal look. I don't need to zoom in on a house while I'm driving, so I shouldn't miss too many of the Google features. If I do, well, Google is going to release what will probably be a pretty cool app for their new maps in the near future.

All I ask is accurate directions.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I think you're misconstruing the difference between a public beta and a closed beta. Things aren't going to be as polished in a closed beta as they are in public.

No, I'm not. In a beta test, the datasets are complete and you're looking to stomp out bugs before a release. In this stage, you shouldn't be adding new features (which can introduce bugs and break older features) and you shouldn't be using placeholder data anymore, your Q&A data should be a straight copy from your production environement, or what will eventually become your production environnement.

Seems to me a lot of people here are misconstruing "beta" to mean "work in progress in active development".

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
No, I'm not. In a beta test, the datasets are complete and you're looking to stomp out bugs before a release. In this stage, you shouldn't be adding new features (which can introduce bugs and break older features) and you shouldn't be using placeholder data anymore, your Q&A data should be a straight copy from your production environement, or what will eventually become your production environnement.

Seems to me a lot of people here are misconstruing "beta" to mean "work in progress in active development".

You do realize that Apple Maps will probably be in a perpetual beta for a while, right? What data are you not finding?

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Google has quite a few apps up on the App Store. :rolleyes:

Right, but they're all missing features that are on the android version. I wouldn't be surprised if Google wanted to help Apple upgrade the stock iOS maps these past two years to match google maps on android, but Apple held off so they could unveil their own maps. Now I also wouldn't be surprised if Apple blocked a fully functional Goigle Maps on ios.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
You do realize that Apple Maps will probably be in a perpetual beta for a while, right? What data are you not finding?

The data bit has been discussed to death already, does it need repeating ?

And if Apple is really going to ship it with this dataset, it's really bad form removing Google's complete and mostly accurate data. It hurts user experience.

----------

Right, but they're all missing features that are on the android version. I wouldn't be surprised if Google wanted to help Apple upgrade the stock iOS maps these past two years to match google maps on android, but Apple held off so they could unveil their own maps. Now I also wouldn't be surprised if Apple blocked a fully functional Goigle Maps on ios.

I'd be surprised if they would, since Google Earth is already pretty much it and its up on the app store now.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
The data bit has been discussed to death already, does it need repeating ?

And if Apple is really going to ship it with this dataset, it's really bad form removing Google's complete and mostly accurate data. It hurts user experience.

----------

I'd be surprised if they would, since Google Earth is already pretty much it and its up on the app store now.

Google Earth is not Google Maps...

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Er...

Well, if the version released in iOS 6 is like this and Google releases a standalone app…I know which one I'm going to be using.

cherrybombaz

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
iOS 6 has the most beautiful turn-by-turn directions I've ever seen. And I've tried many different navigation apps including Android's navigation.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Beta doesn't even begin to describe these maps. If they're going to launch in the Autumn (and we're almost at midsummer now) then they should be data complete.

WTF? summer hasn't even started yet....June 20th is when summer begins.

you're just crying. put a pacifier in your mouth and get off the internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.