Wow........Apple totally failed this one

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BlizzardBolt, Oct 4, 2011.

1. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Barely anything for the iPod touch except color white.
    Not even a camera to replace the 0.7MP one :(

its like Apple didnt even try this year, this event was absolutely horrendous :mad:
    As for the other ipods, no updates to classic or click wheel for nano and shuffle remained the same. It may be just be coincidental but since Jobs resigned Apple is starting to look bad.

2. rdowns, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2011

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Please stop, you're embarrassing yourself. The products announced today have been in the works for a year or more. These are Jobs products as are most of what's in their pipeline.

3. BlizzardBolt thread starter macrumors 6502

Really?

It takes a year to have a white option?

It takes a year to drop price to 199$?

Read what you wrote, if you actually think that 1 year is needed for this, you do not work efficiently then.

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Anyone who was thinking about the iPod Touch objectively could see that there wasn't going to be a new model this year. A few of us articulated the reasons a few months ago and were ganged on by those who didn't like to hear what was said.

I hoped that the camera would be updated, but I knew it was unlikely. The current iPod Touch 4G is still a fine device.

5. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Well said. While I'm quite content with my iPad 2, as soon as iOS5 is released, I'll be buying a white and a black iPod Touch for gifts.

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

iOS 5 was the biggest feature for the Touch. I doubt the hardware will upgrade at the same time as the iPhone.

7. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Objectively? Objectively? The iPod Touch is updated every year (for the last 4 YEARS) along side the iPhone so it makes sense that people expected updates for it, especially the general public who doesn't read up on rumor sites.

This is just another ploy to get people to move to the iPhone for recurring charges so Apple can make more money, too bad its not going to work here.

8. Spiterwolf macrumors member

Spiterwolf

It's going to work for the general public, but not for anybody who checks up on rumor sites like this. Apple is starting to slow down and by the end of the year they won't have the best mobile gaming devise because the new psp is coming out. Good luck Apple.:p

9. Neptunes macrumors newbie

I don't know if I should upgrade from my 2g knowing that there's a high chance for a redesign next year. :confused:

10. Baron58 macrumors 6502

When you design and sell millions of a better and more successful product, maybe your opinion will be valid.

11. BlizzardBolt thread starter macrumors 6502

Since when are opinions valid?

We have the choice to release out thoughts, it is subjective as any person could find people's post valid or invalid.

What makes you think that I would want to make a product that would my opinion to YOU valid?

You think I would go through all that so MAYBE my opinion will be valid??

ROFL dude

Stop trying to be helpful as you offer the worst advice.

12. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Oh sorry didn't know consumers that spend hard earned money on apple products aren't allowed to have opinions about them.

13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

iPod touch did not get any update except they announced the white version with 30 dollars price drop on 8GB model. Everything else maintained the same.

Unfortunately, I am so not sold and won't be getting one.

I will use my 199 dollars to get Amazon kindle instead.

I always complained about why iPod touch with 3.5 inch costs 229 dollars, but amazon kindle fire with 7 inch screen costs 199 dollars.

Well, at least apple price matched it. Gj.

14. BlizzardBolt, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2011

BlizzardBolt thread starter macrumors 6502

Check for yourself in this thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=972739&highlight=

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Honestly what did you expect? Technology only moves so fast and what is in the iPod touch is still really good. I doubt Apple wants to make it thicker so I'm sure they are waiting until the components are made small enough to fit inside.

The price drop was nice I thought. Aside from a nicer camera I can't really think what would make the iPod touch more appealing (that is realistic, hoping for the new hardware of the 4S is not realistic as it would cost far too much).

16. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

IPS
    More RAM
    A5
    LED flash
    16GB base model

None of these popped in to your mind?

Many people would rather not have the price drop and have better features instead.

17. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Yes, objectively... not swayed by the emotions of fandom.

The iPod Touch was NOT updated every year for the last four years. The 8GB 2G Touch was not updated during the 3rd gen. It remained at the 2G specs even though the 16 and 32 GB models had newer internals which caused quite a bit of confusion.

There were numerous warning signs that the Touch would not be updated this year... you only had to look for them. Go back a few months and you'll see the reasons... all well described and reasoned.

What recurring charges does Apple receive from the sale of an iPhone?

18. BlizzardBolt thread starter macrumors 6502

The ipod touch was updated EVERY year.
    Not ALL models had updates in each year.

Apple has always updated the touch so that customers from the previous generation could upgrade to the next. Rumors were was that the touch would have MINOR updates, reasoned and well described depends on each person's analysis.

Apple receives recurring iTunes music money and App store money from iPhone users.

19. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm looking at the bright side. My 3rd gen Touch is still working great and now I don't feel like I need an upgrade for another year :D. Think of all the money people will save by not upgrading.

20. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Yes but like I said its not realistic without driving the price through the roof, hence why no updates with these features.

21. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

It doesn't matter if Apple upgrades it or not it will still sell well because of the Apple logo on it. That is what is so great about having such a popular brand. You can really cut back on engineering and manufacturing costs and people will still buy it. The new white color should really help sales.

22. vanzantapple macrumors 6502

vanzantapple

Perfect review.

I can't say this about all of the reviews that I read but with this one, I READ THE ENTIRE THING. It's a must read.

PS. Every Apple fanBOY says that Apple updates products using the Tick Tock method.... OK. Now someone tell me, which one is equal to zero, the Tick or the Tock.

That isn't a complicated question. Is it?

The iPhone got a Tick and a Tock, whatever the f*k that is. The iPod Touch got a Tick and a Fock.

Apple is always pulling little **** like this.

23. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Chill...
    iPod Touch has been updated every year... several months after the iPhone. Why expect anything different this time? No need to get agitated for at least four months (well, IMO, there's actually no reason to get agitated at all.)

24. palpatine macrumors 68040

lol. polish that turd cnn!

i think they wrote the headline to this before they saw the announcement. they led with information about the ipod that describes all of the features the ipod has without mentioning that it is the exact same ipod 4g we all saw one year ago, except that it comes in white. hahaha. yay! they slashed the price on the same product a whopping $30! no mention (of course) that the price just happens to be the same as the kindle fire. interesting coincidence. i kind of feel bad for the reporter who had to bang on the keyboard to produce this drivel.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/05/tech/gaming-gadgets/new-ipods/

anyhow, the ipod 4g is a great device. i love it. but, i think we are seeing the end of an era. the ipod touch is sliding away into irrelevance...