WOW - - Bend Gate is so REAL. [WATCH]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
the question is, will putting it in a case partially prevent this?

I'm starting to worry.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Pretty surprised at the durability of the glass and lcd screen! Unfotrunately that doesn't seem like a real world test. He was putting a lot of pressure on the device.

NeilSpoon

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
*gets popcorn and waits to see what excuses the apologists can come up with*

Seriously though, this is simply down to poor design choices and not understanding how the majority of people use their phone. Ironically, Apple always harps on about "user experience"....... Quite....

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
But Android won't bend!!! :D

Trust me, my Samsung Focus and Galaxy Nexus were the flimsiest pieces of **** I've ever owned. They would bend. Plastic bends easier than aluminuminum.

macher

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2012
There are enough garbage threads about this. Any metal phone will bend with enough force. Read the 9to5mac article above showing that this is nothing new and will not happen under normal use.
I'm glad I didn't get the plus.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
But Android won't bend!!! :D

Trust me, my Samsung Focus and Galaxy Nexus were the flimsiest pieces of **** I've ever owned. They would bend. Plastic bends easier than aluminuminum.
But that's where it's actually an advantage because plastic will try to return to it's original form.

malevolant

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Boston, MA
You can see his hands shaking as he goes to bend the phone. If you are regularly putting that much force on that one point, sure it will bend. Under normal use, there is no way you will hit close to that point load.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
I agree. I don't think a phone would sustain this much pressure in normal, everyday use. Nevertheless, the phone shouldn't bend at all under normal conditions.
you would be surprised how my pressure exists when your phone is up against the curve of your hip when seated.

----------

Nevertheless, iPhoen 6 Plus owners should just not sit with it in your front pocket. Simple solution. Just add it to the list of reasons why the plus just isnt portable but has other attributes.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
This is hilarious. Who knew you could take a millimeter thick piece of metal and bend it when trying.

I'm shocked.

iRobertM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Seattle WA.
You can see his hands shaking as he goes to bend the phone. If you are regularly putting that much force on that one point, sure it will bend. Under normal use, there is no way you will hit close to that point load.
You're missing the point, as he said in the video if you have it in your pocket while wearing tight jeans and sitting could cause a bend.

Side note, I love how he said "For the sake of science" Right, more like for the sake of views :)

VasectomyLove

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
Where is JT and J-fallon's ad for this??? Dunnn - Dunnnnnnn - Dunnnnn - dun dun - BEND-GATE :eek:

It won't matter to me, I will not put in my pocket - no idiot will put a large phone in their pockets, give me a break!

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
This is hilarious. Who knew you could take a millimeter thick piece of metal and bend it when trying.

I'm shocked.
you do realize that your hip bends when sitting right? Do you have any idea of the pressure that can apply to that millimeter piece of metal? Exactly what is shown in the video. Except you and others will be applying that pressure daily.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
It won't matter to me, I will not put in my pocket - no idiot will put a large phone in their pockets, give me a break!
Correct - this is the solution and should be obvious. But many are blaming Apple that they would create a device that might not be best suited for pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.