Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
If everyone could just take their phone out of their pocket when they sit down, especially to drive... am I the only one to whom this is painfully obvious?

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
If everyone could just take their phone out of their pocket when they sit down, especially to drive... am I the only one to whom this is painfully obvious?
It's painfully obvious that nothing is too obvious for many lol.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

That seems like a rather annoying requirement to me. Driving I can see, but just sitting down? Anywhere?

If that is truly a prerequisite of a phone (and I am not saying it is), I think I would rather just not get it. Too many places I simply can't just take the phone out (or am not willing to for various reasons).

born2runak

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
Correct - this is the solution and should be obvious. But many are blaming Apple that they would create a device that might not be best suited for pockets.

Im going to take a wild guess and say that the majority of cell phone users keep their phone in their pocket.

Apple really should have reinforced the phones given the length.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
iphone-5s-plie-tordu-00.jpg

Phones do bend. Yes. Good job.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Im going to take a wild guess and say that the majority of cell phone users keep their phone in their pocket.

Apple really should have reinforced the phones given the length.

Yes, and make them heavier and thicker to cater to the 3 geniuses who apply pressure to their gadgets. Brilliant!

iHeartapple2

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Is this for real?

Does anyone in this world have common sense anymore? This is the thinnest smartphone out there. It's not made out of concrete or solid metal. So guess what? If you stick it in your back pocket and sit on it all day or put it in the front pocket of your skinny jeans it's going to bend!!!!! Please stop with the bend gate. If you are so stupid you can't figure this out then maybe it's best you take a look at alternative phones such as http://www.greatcall.com/products/jitterbug .

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
If you apply a lot of force with your hands and fingers a phone will blend!!!!!

News at 11...

In 3 months everyone will forget it like they did iphone 5/5s bending

iBoost621

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
I drive a sports car with bucket seats. I am not going to give up driving a sports car to own an iphone6 plus. I used to able to drive with my iphone5 in a front pocket back pocket didn't matter.. I guess I thought the iPhone 6 would be just as durable! My mistake !

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
I drive a sports car with bucket seats. I am not going to give up driving a sports car to own an iphone6 plus. I used to able to drive with my iphone5 in a front pocket back pocket didn't matter.. I guess I thought the iPhone 6 would be just as durable! My mistake !

Hot-sale-Free-shipping-car-air-ac-outlet-universal-mobile-font-b-phone-b-font-font.jpg

These things are 10$ and they keep your phone cooled while using gps with the AC blowing on it.

But i personally don't have tight pockets. I can drive with it in my pocket.

but if you have tight fitting pants then this is a smart option

tonedef407

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009
I can understand people complaining if this happens from front pocket use, but I am amazed at the amount of people that say they put it in their back pocket. Really? That seems like a dumb idea.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
know this is mind blowing but here's a tip: Stop wearing tight hipster pants and use a normal fit or using back pockets where the pocket curves due to the butt.
And no I don't have a physics degree just plain old common sense.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
That's actually kind of amazing.

Would be neat to see a machine tell us how much actually force is required.

How do you figure it is amazing that you can bend the Plus. I bet I could fold a Galaxy 5 in half! No that big of a deal.

Aluminum is not steel and will bend. Aplle gave us thin and light and sacrificed structural integrity. The did it with the 5 and now the 6.

Can't believe there is any surprise here.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009

Now I know you are trollibg, your images prove the phone fell and you are blaming the pants

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
That seems like a rather annoying requirement to me. Driving I can see, but just sitting down? Anywhere?

Yes. I've been taking my cell phone out of my jeans pocket when I sit, ever since I destroyed my first Qualcomm QCP-2760 that way. This is definitely not new.

If that is truly a prerequisite of a phone (and I am not saying it is), I think I would rather just not get it.

Okay, don't get a phone then. :)

----------

I drive a sports car with bucket seats. I am not going to give up driving a sports car to own an iphone6 plus.

And you don't have to. Surely your sports car has at least one compartment where you can place your phone while you drive it?

HJ24

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
United States
If you're a dude, stop wearing skinny jeans (i mean come on...). If you're a woman, you could always just slip it in ur purse (we envy this)

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
This actually puts me at ease. I'm sure under normal use my 6+ will be fine. Lets see if Apple responds to this.

LMAO at some people, how dumb can you really be (not you penajmz) I can easily bend/flex almost any smartphone applying this type of pressure on it gurantee.

TheBama

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Remember all those people who broke their phones death-gripping them to prove they would loose signal if they held it tight enough....

More people breaking their toys to prove they are breakable.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
There are enough garbage threads about this. Any metal phone will bend with enough force. Read the 9to5mac article above showing that this is nothing new and will not happen under normal use.

Yup. This is nothing new. The HTC One "bends" like this if you put enough pressure on it.

born2runak

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
Yes, and make them heavier and thicker to cater to the 3 geniuses who apply pressure to their gadgets. Brilliant!

no, it's the Apple apologists like you that are "brilliant". Common sense says that making the device longer and thinner is going to weaken the chassis by lowering the torque needed to strain it. I'm not saying this thing isn't a bit overblown, but it's a real possibility. Again , it's just common sense. As soon as I receive my 6 plus , I'll be slapping a hard case on it to give it better rigidity. No problems with my iPhone 5 in a hard case, and I'm pretty rough on it I must admit.

I also trust that Apple put it through it's paces enough to warrant a release. If not and this becomes a widespread problem , Apple will have a huge problem on its hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.