Wow, the S5 is crap!

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by BearsFan4Life88, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BearsFan4Life88 macrumors member

Decided to try this phone out. Maybe I had a defective one, but when I plug my headphones into the port they don't stay in. The Samsung headphones work fine, they also are nice and snug in my 5S. What gives?

The WiFi also keeps randomly disconnecting. AT&T and Samsung claim its my router. I might add that it works fine with an iPhone 5, 5S, 5C, iPad 4, Air, iMac, MacBook Pro... yeah you get the point.

The S5 also does not like to play songs very loud. This is a pain if you are trying to work out.

The screen sensitivity is way off. Sometimes I have to constantly tap something for it to work. Turning on the touch sensitivity only makes it worse.

Oh yeah, the apps are horrible. Games lag. I'm just surprised that in 2014, the whole Android experience was this bad.

Never again Samsung. Now to eat that $35 AT&T restocking fee. ):

2. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

Why didn't you get the HTC One M8 instead? Much better.

3. BearsFan4Life88 thread starter macrumors member

I don't know. But the S5 is beyond horrible. The user interface is slow, and difficult to navigate through. Several parts look grainy (especially in the menus). The speaker sucks. I can't believe they released a phone that horrible.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So I take it you didn't like it then ? ;)

I don't own one, but I certainly wouldn't describe the handset as crap in anyway from the hour I've had hands-on with it. But as they say 'different boats for different folks'...

5. Mildredop macrumors 68020

My Nexus 5 is great - much better than my past Galaxy S2, S3 and S4. I would argue that it's the Samsung experience you're displeased with here.

6. BearsFan4Life88 thread starter macrumors member

I would have to agree with this. It probably was the Samsung experience. I found it to be absolutely awful. I am not saying Android is bad. It's not. It has a lot of great things. But Samsung just ruins it. That, and their cheap plastic handset.

When the Nexus 5 first came out, I had read that it suffered from several manufacturing defects, e.g., bad radio, loose buttons, screen issues. Don't know if that's still the case. Those are the reasons why I passed on the Nexus.

Guess I'll just stick with my iPhone 5S until the 6 comes out.

7. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I think i would of taken it back and get another. Thats not normal and ive never had a headphone jack not be tight.

Also if you use ART, it runs even faster.

8. sc4rf4c3, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2014

sc4rf4c3 macrumors regular

You are calling the phone crap because you don't like it. You know it is made of 'cheap plastic' and yet you still bought it. You have a problem with the headphone port, so why didn't you exchange it for a new one.

9. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I have a Nexus 5 and like it a lot. Some of those issues are people just being picky.
    The buttons on mine wiggle a bit but i wouldnt call them loose. Its not an issue and the buttons on my GS3 were looser(which i never noticed til some started complaining about the N5 buttons) and didnt bother me. They work and never had an issue with them. The camera was the other issue which has been fixed. I didnt have any of the other ones listed. Mine is a second batch release.

10. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Why not pick up the Moto X today 'unlocked' for $299? A near stock Android experience with some very cool and useful hardware/software built in specific to the MotoX. Seriously, this is one of the best phones I have ever owned and 'it just works!'

11. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

You should've gone for the M8. You definitely would have liked it MUCH more.

12. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Not crap but mark my words it will be towards the bottom of most lists ranking 2014 smartphones by folks on this forum.

Wanna bet? :)

----------

Easily, no contest between the two as far as I am concerned. And they will like others more released in 2014 as well.

13. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

I have one and have experienced none of the problems you had. I would call AT&T and get your restocking fee refunded.

14. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

I had the GS4 last year, and I can definitely see what you're getting at.

The phone had lots of features I liked - the camera was great, and the 5" Full-HD screen as well. TouchWiz was, however, painfully slow. Even my old iPhone 4S was faster for opening apps, navigating menus, et.c. et.c.

Seems Samsung haven't learnt their lesson. As others have said, try the HTC One M8.

15. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I own a Nexus 5 and tinkered with my cousin's Galaxy S5 this weekend. I didn't find any glaring problems with it except for very cluttered home screens and very cluttered menus.

They might be right. Check to see what your wireless security settings are. If you are running a old, or draft protocol then it might not match what the S5 shipped with. My sister had this problem for years with her husband's Apple wireless router and one of her laptops until I noticed it and fixed it.

NOt sure what to say here... small speakers will distort very badly if you try to push them too hard... and this is on top of the already-crappy quality of cell phone speakers.

I didn't have this problem with my cousin's S5. I think the screen sensitivity and accuracy setting is there for people who want to use a stylus. Maybe you got a bad unit? It does happen. Happened to me one.

With all due respect, you got the wrong phone. Samsung has never been about understatement and Touchwiz has as many fans as detractors.

Heh.

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Shame it wasn't right for you but make no mistake it's a fantastic device. Arguably a top 3 device out right now

17. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

As per my sig you can see what I've owned, and I can agree, my S4 was kinda bendy, laggy, and photos had a strange sharpness to them, I much prefer my HTC One (m7). The M7 is a much more Apple like feel and build, and actually goes beyond the build of my iPhone's did in some aspects. :rolleyes:

18. rockitdog Suspended

I think HTC is following Samsung's route and hiring people to flood the internet and talk smack about the S5.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

HTC doesn't have the budget for that ... They have to spend their spare cash on little packets of white stuff for Robert Downey Jr ;)

20. rockitdog, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2014

rockitdog Suspended

On an Apple forum??? Get outta here... never would have guessed that!

21. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

22. bmt134 macrumors 6502

If this thread was titled "Wow the 5S is crap!", this would be in the wasteland. :apple::rolleyes::apple::rolleyes:

23. appledes7 macrumors 6502a

Maybe if it was posted in the iPhone section. Definitely wouldn't be if it was posted in here.

24. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Never owned the S5 but I doubt it's crap like you claim it is. It's fine if you don't like the device, touchwiz isn't for everyone. I think most loyal Apple users gravitate more towards the HTC M8 with its metal chasis. Not really my cup of tea but probably more to your liking. Might want to check it out.

25. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Yeah thats what i did, although the S5 feels better than any other Samsung i have tried, on par with the Note 3 or better. Easily get away without a case especially being able to change the back cover. You can get off the endless perfect case roundabout. Gee i might get one:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.