Wrapsol for iPhone 4- Ultra or regular?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by BBQ BOY, Jun 13, 2010.

1. BBQ BOY macrumors regular

Ok. When the iPhone comes out I plan on putting a protective film on the front and back along with a bumper. Tradionally I use Invisibeshield but thought I'd try something different. I have always had success with invisiblshield.
    My question is will the Ultra work with the bumper? I have no earthly idea what makes it an Ultra but speculate it's thicker than the regular. If this is the case is it so thick that the bumper will not be able to fit?

2. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

How would anyone know. The bumper, the phone and the shield have not been released yet.

patience young one. you will soon know. :)

3. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

The only difference is the Ultra is dry installation and is slightly thicker. The original is wet installation. Your call, really... but even if it's a tighter fit, I'd get the Ultra. ;)

4. weezite macrumors regular

I purchased a Wrapsol Ultra film last night after a lot of research. It looks like Wrapsol makes the best film out there. The only thing that made me not want to try it in the past was the "wet application." Now that it's a dry application, I'm totally in.

So the Wrapsol Ultra claims to be shock resistant. It says that you can drop the phone from up to 6 feet in the air and it'll protect the phone from cracks, dings, scratches, dents, etc. It sounds pretty amazing and then there's YouTube video reviews that show people dropping their phones or even drag their phone out the back of a car at 35 MPH (!!!) and the product being alright. I don't think the film will be too thick for the bumpers. I don't think it's much thicker than the original Wrapsol film

5. Built macrumors 68020

My Wrapsol Ultra is on its way.

While I don't intend to drop my iPhone from 6 feet, it's just peace of mind!

6. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I just preordered mine. They are shipping already? I really hope it comes in on or before the 24th. I use a Wrapsol original on my 3gs and I love it. The matte back looks great and it really fingerprint proofs it, which is what was most important to me.

7. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I really want to get the wrapsol, but I am worried about the front skin it has a slit above the ear speaker:

[​IMG]

I'm planning on getting a black iPhone 4 that doesn't have that grill like the white one. So I'm worried that the opening will look out of place on the black iPhone 4.....

8. weezite macrumors regular

On Wrapsol's twitter account, they say that Wrapsol's Ultra ship on the 24th. They'll ship in order of preorders.

9. ludawg23 macrumors 6502

I just spoke with a representative from Wrapsol.

Here are the differences between the Ultra and Original.

Ultra:
    - Thicker than the original
    - Dry apply
    - Has a glossy finish, clearer than the original but she says fingerprints are a little more noticeable

Original:
    - The back has a matte finish, she says it's better for "grip"
    - Wet apply

I'm still torn here, not sure which one to get. I'm not exactly sure how thicker the Ultra one is from the Original.

What about the difference betwee the glossy and matte finish? Anyone care?

10. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

After seeing this post and hearing good things about Wrapsol I decided to go for it and pre-order the ultra for my iPhone 4.

11. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

That's disappointing. I guess I assumed the Ultra would be the matte finish as well. I might try to switch my preorder to the Original. The matte finish is their best feature IMO.

12. ludawg23 macrumors 6502

I'm confused. Wouldn't someone want a clear finish over the matte finish?

I can't see to make out the difference since I've never seen the Wrapsol before.

13. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

It's personal preference but I prefer the matte finish. Here is an example of what the matte finish looks like on the back.

14. ludawg23 macrumors 6502

Wow, that is beautiful. Looks like I'll be getting the original.

And I assume that the front is just clear right? Thanks STEVESKI07

15. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I'm really not sure. I already had a Best Skins Ever on the front when I ordered the Wrapsol for my 3gs so I never used the front skin that came with the Wrapsol. It looked clear, but then again so did the back before I put it on. Even if it was more of a matte finish for the front, it wouldn't look like it does on the back. It would just serve more as an anti-glare.

16. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

+1 for Wrapsol!

I just ordered the original for the iPhone 4. I have the original matte on my black 3GS and it's worked really well. I like their product alot.

Going with white this time around so it'll be interesting to see how the matte finish looks on the white.

17. ludawg23 macrumors 6502

Any Wrapsol original users here who can comment on what the front looks like?

I assume it's not a matte finish but more clear? Thanks!

18. BBQ BOY thread starter macrumors regular

My only worry with the dry application is fingerprints under the film during application. I you do not wet hour fingers during the application then you run the risk of having permanent fingerprints under the film.

19. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I would not worry about that. You may be right, but dry applications are still easier then wet applications overall. Since it is dry, you do not need to touch the under side of the film to place it on the screen. I've only done it once before, but it was very easy to do and it turned out much better then the first time I tried to do a wet application.

20. ludawg23 macrumors 6502

Man, I'm so OCD about this stuff LOL

Called Wrapsol again and the original has a matte finish back with a glossy front.

Phew, will definitely be pre-ordering the Wrapsol original for the iPhone 4

21. ludawg23 macrumors 6502

Some more info...

Wrapsol for the iPhone 4 is available through pre-order on their website and will ship on the launch date of the phone (June 24th). First come, first serve basis and will ship from their headquarters in MA.

22. Eagle Eye macrumors newbie

Eagle Eye

Shipping to the UK is ridiculous though...

I fancy getting the ultra one as I hate using wet applications, but I would like the matte finish....

23. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

wow that does look pretty nice. I think I will have to go for the original. The wet application is no big deal. Especially with the flat back of the iPhone 4. The 3G/3Gs were only difficult because of the curved back

Now, the question is what are the side pieces that go on the steel....matte?...or clear? You should call back and report back ;)

Even though I probably wont even put the side pieces on

24. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Glad everyone is psyched on Wrapsol. Nothing really compares.

25. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I just cancelled my order for the Ultra and placed my order for the original. I don't need drop protection and if I did, I would use a case over a skin. I was told that the front and sides are glossy and only the back is matte.