Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BBQ BOY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Ok. When the iPhone comes out I plan on putting a protective film on the front and back along with a bumper. Tradionally I use Invisibeshield but thought I'd try something different. I have always had success with invisiblshield.
My question is will the Ultra work with the bumper? I have no earthly idea what makes it an Ultra but speculate it's thicker than the regular. If this is the case is it so thick that the bumper will not be able to fit?

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
California
How would anyone know. The bumper, the phone and the shield have not been released yet.

patience young one. you will soon know. :)

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Ok. When the iPhone comes out I plan on putting a protective film on the front and back along with a bumper. Tradionally I use Invisibeshield but thought I'd try something different. I have always had success with invisiblshield.
My question is will the Ultra work with the bumper? I have no earthly idea what makes it an Ultra but speculate it's thicker than the regular. If this is the case is it so thick that the bumper will not be able to fit?

The only difference is the Ultra is dry installation and is slightly thicker. The original is wet installation. Your call, really... but even if it's a tighter fit, I'd get the Ultra. ;)

weezite

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008

I purchased a Wrapsol Ultra film last night after a lot of research. It looks like Wrapsol makes the best film out there. The only thing that made me not want to try it in the past was the "wet application." Now that it's a dry application, I'm totally in.

So the Wrapsol Ultra claims to be shock resistant. It says that you can drop the phone from up to 6 feet in the air and it'll protect the phone from cracks, dings, scratches, dents, etc. It sounds pretty amazing and then there's YouTube video reviews that show people dropping their phones or even drag their phone out the back of a car at 35 MPH (!!!) and the product being alright. I don't think the film will be too thick for the bumpers. I don't think it's much thicker than the original Wrapsol film

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
My Wrapsol Ultra is on its way.

While I don't intend to drop my iPhone from 6 feet, it's just peace of mind!

I just preordered mine. They are shipping already? I really hope it comes in on or before the 24th. I use a Wrapsol original on my 3gs and I love it. The matte back looks great and it really fingerprint proofs it, which is what was most important to me.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I really want to get the wrapsol, but I am worried about the front skin it has a slit above the ear speaker:

iphone4-pattern_20100611080849_small_thumb_6.jpg

I'm planning on getting a black iPhone 4 that doesn't have that grill like the white one. So I'm worried that the opening will look out of place on the black iPhone 4.....

weezite

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
On Wrapsol's twitter account, they say that Wrapsol's Ultra ship on the 24th. They'll ship in order of preorders.

ludawg23

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
I just spoke with a representative from Wrapsol.

Here are the differences between the Ultra and Original.

Ultra:
- Thicker than the original
- Dry apply
- Has a glossy finish, clearer than the original but she says fingerprints are a little more noticeable

Original:
- The back has a matte finish, she says it's better for "grip"
- Wet apply

I'm still torn here, not sure which one to get. I'm not exactly sure how thicker the Ultra one is from the Original.

What about the difference betwee the glossy and matte finish? Anyone care?

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I just spoke with a representative from Wrapsol.

Here are the differences between the Ultra and Original.

Ultra:
- Thicker than the original
- Dry apply
- Has a glossy finish, clearer than the original but she says fingerprints are a little more noticeable

Original:
- The back has a matte finish, she says it's better for "grip"
- Wet apply

I'm still torn here, not sure which one to get. I'm not exactly sure how thicker the Ultra one is from the Original.

What about the difference betwee the glossy and matte finish? Anyone care?

That's disappointing. I guess I assumed the Ultra would be the matte finish as well. I might try to switch my preorder to the Original. The matte finish is their best feature IMO.

ludawg23

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
That's disappointing. I guess I assumed the Ultra would be the matte finish as well. I might try to switch my preorder to the Original. The matte finish is their best feature IMO.

I'm confused. Wouldn't someone want a clear finish over the matte finish?

I can't see to make out the difference since I've never seen the Wrapsol before.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
Wow, that is beautiful. Looks like I'll be getting the original.

And I assume that the front is just clear right? Thanks STEVESKI07

I'm really not sure. I already had a Best Skins Ever on the front when I ordered the Wrapsol for my 3gs so I never used the front skin that came with the Wrapsol. It looked clear, but then again so did the back before I put it on. Even if it was more of a matte finish for the front, it wouldn't look like it does on the back. It would just serve more as an anti-glare.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
+1 for Wrapsol!

I just ordered the original for the iPhone 4. I have the original matte on my black 3GS and it's worked really well. I like their product alot.

Going with white this time around so it'll be interesting to see how the matte finish looks on the white.

ludawg23

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Any Wrapsol original users here who can comment on what the front looks like?

I assume it's not a matte finish but more clear? Thanks!

BBQ BOY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
My only worry with the dry application is fingerprints under the film during application. I you do not wet hour fingers during the application then you run the risk of having permanent fingerprints under the film.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
My only worry with the dry application is fingerprints under the film during application. I you do not wet hour fingers during the application then you run the risk of having permanent fingerprints under the film.

I would not worry about that. You may be right, but dry applications are still easier then wet applications overall. Since it is dry, you do not need to touch the under side of the film to place it on the screen. I've only done it once before, but it was very easy to do and it turned out much better then the first time I tried to do a wet application.

ludawg23

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Man, I'm so OCD about this stuff LOL

Called Wrapsol again and the original has a matte finish back with a glossy front.

Phew, will definitely be pre-ordering the Wrapsol original for the iPhone 4

ludawg23

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Some more info...

Wrapsol for the iPhone 4 is available through pre-order on their website and will ship on the launch date of the phone (June 24th). First come, first serve basis and will ship from their headquarters in MA.

Eagle Eye

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
Shipping to the UK is ridiculous though...

I fancy getting the ultra one as I hate using wet applications, but I would like the matte finish....

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
It's personal preference but I prefer the matte finish. Here is an example of what the matte finish looks like on the back.

wow that does look pretty nice. I think I will have to go for the original. The wet application is no big deal. Especially with the flat back of the iPhone 4. The 3G/3Gs were only difficult because of the curved back

Man, I'm so OCD about this stuff LOL

Called Wrapsol again and the original has a matte finish back with a glossy front.

Phew, will definitely be pre-ordering the Wrapsol original for the iPhone 4

Now, the question is what are the side pieces that go on the steel....matte?...or clear? You should call back and report back ;)

Even though I probably wont even put the side pieces on

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
wow that does look pretty nice. I think I will have to go for the original. The wet application is no big deal. Especially with the flat back of the iPhone 4. The 3G/3Gs were only difficult because of the curved back

Now, the question is what are the side pieces that go on the steel....matte?...or clear? You should call back and report back ;)

Even though I probably wont even put the side pieces on

I just cancelled my order for the Ultra and placed my order for the original. I don't need drop protection and if I did, I would use a case over a skin. I was told that the front and sides are glossy and only the back is matte.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.