WSJ: Apple Apps Unfairly Dominate App Store Search Results

GuruZac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2015
This is the most insane conversation. Apple hosts the App Store, and allow others to pay them to use their store. It's Apple's App Store, I see no reason why they shouldn't (even if they were) pushing their apps to the top. Sounds like a bunch of whiners.

Seoras

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
Imagine how much easier it would be for the 5i's and other data creeps to install their intrusive malware if Apple was forced to open up iOS to 3rd party app stores and side loaded apps.
As things are is perfectly good as far as Apple doing its best for privacy.
I see articles like this as nothing but a manipulated media attempt to undermine Apple's thwarting of privacy violators - both government spies and tech rivals (Google & Amazon).

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I call BS. Just tried this and Apple Music was way down the list. I got:

Spotify
Spotify for Artists
Soundtrap
Youtify for Spotify Premium
I Feel
Quick Spotsearch
Shazam
Music Player
YouTube
Soundcloud
Unlimited Music Player
Google Play
Youtify again (different version)
Kiss App
Block Puzzle
Apple Music
I searched for "Music app" and Apple Music was 1st (if you exclude the paid ad for Amazon's Prime Video)

1) Apple Music
2) Music Apps (Dylan Companjen)
3) Offline Music Cloud Pop Player (CONG WANG)
4) Spotify
5) iMusic Player (WEI FU)
6) YouTube Music
7) Audiomack
8) SoundCloud
9) Pandora
10) Trending Music

Attachments

ani4ani

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2012
UK
No there aren’t! I’ll try to explain.

It’s like if you’ve got a car and it’s got four wheels. You suddenly get a puncture on one and take it to a garage. The garage said that your spare tyre is also flat, so you buy a new tyre from them.

They fit the new tyre onto your car and advise you buy another to put as a spare. You decline but say you’ll think about it later.

The third party apps are like the alloys on the wheels and Apple is like the garage. The car is the App Store.

The flat spare tyre that you choose to keep is the consumer. The spare tyre that you didn’t buy is the cloud where the App Store is housed.

Does that make more sense?
No...not at all

the APP store works like this....to use your "tyres" analogy. The only place I can buy tyres is from the Apple store. The only way to sell tyres is via the Apple store. The only tyres I can fit to my car can only be sourced from the Apple store....the first tyres advertised are always tyres made by Apple.

realtuner

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
I searched for "Music app" and Apple Music was 1st (if you exclude the paid ad for Amazon's Prime Video)

1) Apple Music
4) Spotify
6) YouTube Music
7) Audiomack
8) SoundCloud
9) Pandora
10) Trending Music

Uh, the poster I replied to said they used the search term "Spotify". You want to try again?

Reactions: FFR

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
HMMM, so the Fox Street Journal says. Let's test it: "Spreadsheet". results:
  1. Google Sheets
  2. Microsoft Excel
  3. iSpreadsheet
  4. Utility Spreadsheet
  5. Simple Spreadsheet
  6. Smartsheet
  7. Google Docs, synch, edit
  8. Office suite
  9. Numbers

Sure sounds like favoritism to me. BTW I love Numbers, won't touch Excel, Google sheets is kind meh! so, My preferences should be Numbers first.

Sounds like Faux News to me
[doublepost=1563913477][/doublepost]

1) Apple Music
4) Spotify
6) YouTube Music
7) Audiomack
8) SoundCloud
9) Pandora
10) Trending Music

Ummmm, so you searched for Music and got Music, Briliant. Didn't it return your precise search term? I am failing to see your so called scandal here. I searched Spreadsheet and Numbers was like number 9 or something. I bet if I search Numbers, I'll get Numbers first. Oh look it worked, I must be so smart.

Reactions: NetMage

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Uh, the poster I replied to said they used the search term "Spotify". You want to try again?
I would expect that a search for a specific app would put said app at the top.

I was merely replicating the WSJ's test where I use a basic search term like "maps," "music," or "books"

For basic searches like "maps," Apple's apps ranked first more than 60 percent of the time in the WSJ's testing. Apps that generate revenue like Music or Books showed up first in 95 percent of related searches.
When searching for "Books" like the WSJ did, I get

1) Apple Books
2) Amazon Kindle
3) Audible audiobooks
4) Nook
5) Wattpad

When searching for "Maps," I get

1) (Apple) Maps
2) Google Maps
3) Waze
4) Maps+
5) AllTrails

[doublepost=1563913596][/doublepost]
How about WSJ puts competitor articles front and center on their website. Then talk.
*facepalm*

Is the WSJ asking other competing news services/publications to write articles for them like Apple wants app developers to write apps for the Apple App Store? No.

Reactions: PC_tech

Guidonculous

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2015
I know a lot of people are attacking these analogies for coke being forced to sell Pepsi, but everyone trying to compare it to a leasing agent makes no sense either. Apple built the device themselves, marketed and sold it themselves, and have created their own marketplace which people consider safe in direct contrast to competing platforms.

The reality is that this trying to construe it as illegal to have direct control over how your own devices work and present information. There is an attempt here to equate the internal functioning of the device to the external market as a whole.

I cannot think of ANY example where a company is forced to accept others into their network outside of their interests except for situations where a company controls a standardized service. Apple devices are not an industry standard.

Trying to define apple devices as a monopoly in smartphones/computers is clearly impossible.

I really hope litigators don’t try and make a new status quo and start demanding that apple itself is a standard platform. One of the primary reasons I like apple stuff is because of how well they curate things. While they don’t always make the exact same choices I would, they often come very close, and as an end result I don’t have to sort through a ton of options I could care less about. In situations where there option isn’t good enough, then I’ll search out another option, but again, I appreciate being able to do so largely free of concerns about personal privacy if I’m downloading a weather app due to all the restrictions and limitations apple places on the process of submitting and maintains apps for their platform.

I think it makes some sense to strip Apple Music, apple news, and and this new apple media producer and say they need to be separate companies. It makes some sense that apple is strong-arming out competition by branching into whole new industries.

But to suddenly say that apple can’t deliver the experience they want to deliver on their device seems asinine, and while it might be a nice kick in the pants to a lot of companies bottom line, it ultimately isn’t a consumer friendly status quo to set.

flygbuss

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
They're not wrong. I searched for Spotify and the first result it gave me before Spotify was Apple Music. I laughed at the notion I'd want to actually pay for that app and then scrolled down to the service with good apps.
Well if I search 'Spotify' it shows me just that. Followed by Spotify for Artists and many other apps like Deezer, Amazon Music, SoundCloud, Youtoube Music etc. Apple Music is ranked 16th.

PNG image 2.png

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Ummmm, so you searched for Music and got Music, Briliant. Didn't it return your precise search term? I am failing to see your so called scandal here.
*facepalm*

Did you read what the WSJ article is about? It's about Apple favoring their own apps (particular apps that Apple makes money with through their subscription services) above other competitors. And as I've shown, the WSJ's findings are true because my search result for "music" favored Apple's Apple Music subscription service over others by listing it 1st.

I searched Spreadsheet and Numbers was like number 9 or something. I bet if I search Numbers, I'll get Numbers first. Oh look it worked, I must be so smart.
Apple gives their spreadsheet app, Numbers, away for free. There is no subscription service with it like there is with Apple Music or Apple News+ which is the 1st/top listed result when I search for "magazine"

Remy149

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2016
Grocery stores often put their brands on shelves at eye level.
Most drug stores I go to literally show the competitors price compared to their store brands on the self
[doublepost=1563914615][/doublepost]
When you buy a toaster at a supermarket they don't ban you from buying bread from any other store.
If having an alternative App Store is important to you buy one of the countless phones running android

flygbuss

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
I would expect that a search for a specific app would put said app at the top.

I was merely replicating the WSJ's test where I use a basic search term like "maps," "music," or "books"

When searching for "Books" like the WSJ did, I get

1) Apple Books
2) Amazon Kindle
3) Audible audiobooks
4) Nook
5) Wattpad

When searching for "Maps," I get

1) (Apple) Maps
2) Google Maps
3) Waze
4) Maps+
5) AllTrails

[doublepost=1563913596][/doublepost]

*facepalm*

Is the WSJ asking other competing news services/publications to write articles for them like Apple wants app developers to write apps for the Apple App Store? No.
Well I get different results, Apple Music is never ranked first.

Attachments

Remy149

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2016
*facepalm*

Did you read what the WSJ article is about? It's about Apple favoring their own apps (particular apps that Apple makes money with through their subscription services) above other competitors. And as I've shown, the WSJ's findings are true because my search result for "music" favored Apple's Apple Music subscription service over others by listing it 1st.

Apple gives their spreadsheet app, Numbers, away for free. There is no subscription service with it like there is with Apple Music or Apple News+ which is the 1st/top listed result when I search for "magazine"
The music app is free for non Apple Music subscribers as well its where you listen to all music synced from iTunes

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Not that I agree with the WSJ assessment... but your analogy. It's terrible and wrong. Walmart does not feature it's own products in store. They feature branded products more prominently. Most stores feature the branded products.
They likely paid for the placement.

MacKarmaTech

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2017
If I owned a store and made products that were sold in it I'd probably put my stuff up front too.
The only problem with this analogy is that if you do not want and/or like a selected stores products, and how they featured them, you could simply go to another store where the selection of products suited your better. In this particular "App Store" case, there is ONLY one store from which you are allowed to go to for whatever your needs or requirements are concerning the iPhone. That is the crux of the dispute, and why the Supreme Court, along with the EU are questioning that you're only allowed to go to the Apple App Store on their devices. No other options (like direct downloads or sideloading..etc.) are practically possible on any Apple mobile device.

If they didn't completely control their devices entire ecosystem, and all access to that ecosystem (iOS), then whatever their official App Store practices and preferential policies are would be moot.

Now, imagine if they had the same exclusive "Apple Store Only" on their desktop macOS - which one day soon, might come to pass as they try to further "integrate" iOS with macOS.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Most drug stores I go to literally show the competitors price compared to their store brands on the self
[doublepost=1563914615][/doublepost]
If having an alternative App Store is important to you buy one of the countless phones running android
He is an android user.