Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abbymtl

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2015
Like my X. Would have liked to see the X Plus last year as I downsized from my 7 Plus.

But really a Series 4 and some updated MBPs are what my radar is scanning for.

I’m good waiting another upgrade cycle on the X.

Put your X over the 7 plus, and the screen is nearly identical not sure how that's downsizing unless you prefer unnecessary bulk.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9SL1MvNzI0MTY4L29yaWdpbmFsL2lwaG9uZS14LTAwNS5qcGc=

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
But... but... the other guys said all models would be OLED..... Even the iPhone Poverty Edition would get all the same stuff the high-end did....

I'd gladly buy the iPhone PE (Poverty Edition) if it's that cheap LCD model w/o 3D Touch. As long as it has FaceID, ergonomics like the X, and sturdy build quality?

I don't need 4gb RAM, dual cameras, 3D Touch, an OLED screen, etc to get a good experience. Not worth the extra $ tbh.

Only reason why I think I would go LCD model over 2017 X on clearance is the Band 71 LTE possibly for T-Mobile.

Reactions: bhodinut

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I'll believe lower price points when I see legitimate lower price points. All the prices of products from Apple these days are up and to the right (way up)

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
RE: "... to ensure customers have an affordable option to choose from. "

Affordable is a RELATIVE term ... any Sept 2018 iPhone priced in the $600-$700 USD range is still OUT of reach for most !

Even here in La Jolla, right next to UCSD, I'd say "affordable" means less than $500 USD.

Apple doesn't have real competition for it's iPhones, but is competing with itself.

Unless / until they start to offer compelling new Features & Capabilities, Users won't be upgrading to anything new.

If it's just FaceID & Animojis in Sept, AAPL is sunk !

Ask yourself, "what was the last Hardware OR Software addition that really impressed you ?" ... for me, it was the register-rich A7 processor in the 5s ... "that addition" was responsible for 50% or so of the success of the iPhone 6 family one year later ... FaceID & Animojis don't cut it !

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Makes sense. The 6.1" is targeted at the huge swath of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners. The 6.1" keeps the single rear camera and implements software 3D Touch.

Many iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners see no compelling reason to upgrade to iPhone 7 or 8. iPhone X was too expensive.

It doesn't cannibalize the iPhone X too much and gives what most consumers want: large display and a new form factor.

Definitely want to get that new form factor and not break the bank. Though not one of the 6 or 6+ owners.

groadyho

Suspended
Apr 26, 2018
Colorado
I'd gladly buy the iPhone PE (Poverty Edition) if it's that cheap LCD model w/o 3D Touch. As long as it has FaceID, ergonomics like the X, and sturdy build quality?

I don't need 4gb RAM, dual cameras, 3D Touch, an OLED screen, etc to get a good experience. Not worth the extra $

Only reason why I think I would go LCD model over 2017 X on clearance is the Band 71 LTE possibly for T-Mobile.
TBH I don't see a whole lot of difference from my old LG g5 that used LCD to my wife's Oled V30, other than brightness. I use my Galaxy s9 plus on FHD instead WQHD anyway. My old eyes can't tell but my battery life sure can.

Reactions: nviz22

Whathappened

Suspended
Mar 15, 2018
RE: "... to ensure customers have an affordable option to choose from. "

Affordable is a RELATIVE term ... any Sept 2018 iPhone priced in the $600-$700 USD range is still OUT of reach for most !

Even here in La Jolla, right next to UCSD, I'd say "affordable" means less than $500 USD.

Apple doesn't have real competition for it's iPhones, but is competing with itself.

Unless / until they start to offer compelling new Features & Capabilities, Users won't be upgrading to anything new.

If it's just FaceID & Animojis in Sept, AAPL is sunk !

Ask yourself, "what was the last Hardware OR Software addition that really impressed you ?" ... for me, it was the register-rich A7 processor in the 5s ... "that addition" was responsible for 50% or so of the success of the iPhone 6 family one year later ... FaceID & Animojis don't cut it !
Why not? My iPhone does everything I want it to really good and really fast.
Animojis and Face ID will be much appreciated by me.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
TBH I don't see a whole lot of difference from my old LG g5 that used LCD to my wife's Oled V30, other than brightness. I use my Galaxy s9 plus on FHD instead WQHD anyway. My old eyes can't tell.

OLED does help with brightness. Deeper blacks do appear too. When I used the iPhone X, it just felt a tad bit better. But not enough make a substantial difference.

Reactions: groadyho

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
I don't know how I will manage without 3D Touch; that fish ass wallpaper won't move anymore.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Put your X over the 7 plus, and the screen is nearly identical not sure how that's downsizing unless you prefer unnecessary bulk.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9SL1MvNzI0MTY4L29yaWdpbmFsL2lwaG9uZS14LTAwNS5qcGc=
It’s already been proven that the x has a smaller screen compared to the plus. Not to mention a smaller battery, so yeah it is downsizing.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005

I liked the wider keyboard. Didn’t feel as cramped. Width of X is closer to non Plus (screen dimensions only).

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
What I still don't understand is why the cheapest one will have a bigger screen than the X.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
No 3D Touch no sale for me.

Amen brother. After using 3D Touch for a year and a half I can’t see myself going back to a phone without it. Whenever I use my spare 6, it just feels like something is missing. I love the shortcuts like being able to go straight to your purchase history in the App Store with one touch instead of digging through updates, avatar, purchased, etc.
[doublepost=1529096600][/doublepost]I just don’t understand why OLED is still expensive on phones when on TV sets the price has really plunged over the past year for 55” and 65” LG sets.

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
[QUOTE="Baymowe335, post: 26156952, member: 1098461
"Yeah, they should rely on your focus group of one to determine what people want and the most profitable and valuable company in the world needs you to “fix” them. LOL[/QUOTE]

Make that..... "of two".

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Hey, Apple is telling you what you want and need so stop being an outlier. Stick to the program. Leave individuality to us Android/PC users.
Well, most android phones are phablets as well. So not much individuality there either.

Squirreladd

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2016
Why does apple have to make the only 900$+ OLED. Other oems have made 600-700 with the technology. It is not that expensive.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Why does apple have to make the only 900$+ OLED. Other oems have made 600-700 with the technology. It is not that expensive.
Um, Apple has iOS? And save the iOS 11 is a disaster and no different than Android. There are plenty of advantages to iOS, Apple support, security, and iOS 11.4 is frankly great now.

Check out how much the Note 8 is lately or the Galaxy S9+? You see what kind of quality you get from Samsung and AR Emoji? FaceID is certainly a differentiation. If you think it's the same as all the other facial recognition copies, check again.

The hardware inside is top of the line...Samsung can attest with their awful facial tracking tech evident in their AR Emoji disaster. Useless features for you or not, Apple has great hardware...including the fantastic A11, also ahead of QCOM Snapdragon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.