Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
What about the SE2?

I want my updated premium compact!

At this point, I’ll be happy just to have iPhone 7 and 8 internals.

And a bigger X?

It’s going to cost nearly as much as an entry level MBP - if not more.

Is there enough people who will pay that amount of money to justify that product?

The LCD ‘X’ is going to fly off the shelves.

Reactions: MacBorn

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
This is line with Ming Chi Kou’s speculation that we wouldn’t see an all OLED lineup until 2019.

I didn’t think I’d care but after using the iPhone X since a few weeks after launch I wouldn’t want to go back to LCD. Everything looks so much better on the iPhone X than on my 9.5” iPad Pro.

I almost never use it now unless I have to crank out a long email or document on the fly and need the Smart Keyboard.

It used to be that I’d come home, put my phone on the charger by my night stand and would grab the iPad for use for the rest of the day.

Now i only do that if my phone battery is low. Otherwise the iPad stays on the nightstand. I wish somebody would’ve told me how much I’d like the X and what a difference the extra screen space would make prior to dropping $700+ on it. I would’ve kept my iPad Air.

#FirstWorldProblems

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The fact that Apple is introducing a relatively low-cost 6.1" model already tells you the iPhone X was too expensive.

Why launch a high volume volume 6.1" model if iPhone X was selling? Isn't Apple strictly high margin?

That is nonsense. If we follow your logic then Apple cannot have two models at different prices.

And what makes you think that a high volume 6.1" model won't be high margin?

hipsheik

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2008
The "LCD is cheaper" reason is a smoke shield by everyone in the media to cover up the fact that many long time users of iPhones simply can not tolerate the flickering PWM of AppleSung OLED X displays. Apple is well aware of this health hazard too, hence LCD will remain until they figure out a new display technology.

I really hope this is the case.

I can't even look at the X for short periods of time. And I just had the same problem with a Pixel 2.

groadyho

Suspended
Apr 26, 2018
Colorado
Um, Apple has iOS? And save the iOS 11 is a disaster and no different than Android. There are plenty of advantages to iOS, Apple support, security, and iOS 11.4 is frankly great now.

Check out how much the Note 8 is lately or the Galaxy S9+? You see what kind of quality you get from Samsung and AR Emoji? FaceID is certainly a differentiation. If you think it's the same as all the other facial recognition copies, check again.

The hardware inside is top of the line...Samsung can attest with their awful facial tracking tech evident in their AR Emoji disaster. Useless features for you or not, Apple has great hardware...including the fantastic A11, also ahead of QCOM Snapdragon.
Just paid $450 for my s9+. But yea I concede Apple AR emojis are sure worth the extra C-notes. I mean Android A.I is superior, oreo iss fast n as stable as any iOS, not to mention other key features iOS doesn't have.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
That is nonsense. If we follow your logic then Apple cannot have two models at different prices.

You don't lower the price of your leading edge Face ID technology by $300 after one year. Not when it's supposed to be 2 years ahead of Android.

And what makes you think that a high volume 6.1" model won't be high margin?

The 6.1" model is expected to start at $600-$700. That's $100 less than iPhone 8 Plus.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
You don't lower the price of your leading edge Face ID technology by $300 after one year. Not when it's supposed to be 2 years ahead of Android.

The 6.1" model is expected to start at $600-$700. That's $100 less than iPhone 8 Plus.

I expect it to start from 700 or 749, and the reg iphone 8 is cheaper, plenty of margin on the 8, so plenty left for this 6.1

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I expect it to start from 700 or 749, and the reg iphone 8 is cheaper, plenty of margin on the 8, so plenty left for this 6.1

Your price expectations are different from Kuo's. The iPhone 8 doesn't have a thin-bezel LCD and nor TrueDepth module.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Just paid $450 for my s9+. But yea I concede Apple AR emojis are sure worth the extra C-notes. I mean Android A.I is superior, oreo iss fast n as stable as any iOS, not to mention other key features iOS doesn't have.
You paid $450 because as usual, no one wants these things 3 months after release. It retails for far more and to be fair, there are 2 for 1 iPhone deals too.

Oreo will be the last update you get so report back how snappy it is after a year or two.

What AI is better? Bixby? Lol. Ok.

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
Man, all I can say is that Apple better be making some sort of compensation to all the loyal customers who dished out $1000 for the original and “inferior” iPhone X if they really are dropping prices that much on the new one. If they don’t, then that’s them openly revealing just how ridiculously wide their margins really are. They’re gonna get bent over and humiliated if that does happen... Next keynote: “Yeah, our margins for last years iPhone X were so outrageous that we’re able to drop the price of this year’s new model by $200 and still make huge amounts of revenue off of it.”

MacBorn

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2016
Want to replace my 5s with a top end SE2.
Not in the market to replace my phone <3 years.
I don't want a phone any larger than it is perfect for my pocket and hand.
Current SE still on sale... don't want to upgrade to a >2 year old phone.
Still patiently waiting...

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Man, all I can say is that Apple better be making some sort of compensation to all the loyal customers who dished out $1000 for the original and “inferior” iPhone X if they really are dropping prices that much on the new one.
Price of early adoption, I'm afraid. As bad as Apple can be in the up-selling department, they didn't twist anybodys arm and force them to buy an overpriced phone.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
Your price expectations are different from Kuo's. The iPhone 8 doesn't have a thin-bezel LCD and nor TrueDepth module.
Kuo, isn’ t always right. And no way apple will sell a 6.1 lcd iphone for $550-650. Perhaps he has things mixed up with the smaller se2.

And after using truedepth for a while now, and that it has been massproduced for a while now, how much more expensive will it be than a touchid sensor, $8, a bigger lcd , $8? Perhaps even cheaper, since lcd producers are in trouble because of the switch to oled.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Man, all I can say is that Apple better be making some sort of compensation to all the loyal customers who dished out $1000 for the original and “inferior” iPhone X if they really are dropping prices that much on the new one. If they don’t, then that’s them openly revealing just how ridiculously wide their margins really are. They’re gonna get bent over and humiliated if that does happen... Next keynote: “Yeah, our margins for last years iPhone X were so outrageous that we’re able to drop the price of this year’s new model by $200 and still make huge amounts of revenue off of it.”

Why? iPhone X customers knowingly paid big bucks to be early adopters.

Reactions: nviz22

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Kuo, isn’ t always right. And no way apple will sell a 6.1 lcd iphone for $550-650. Perhaps he has things mixed up with the smaller se2.

And after using truedepth for a while now, and that it has been massproduced for a while now, how much more expensive will it be than a touchid sensor, $8, a bigger lcd , $8? Perhaps even cheaper, since lcd producers are in trouble because of the switch to oled.

Agreed, I think a ‘cheap’ LCD X is going to be more like $700-750 starting at 64GB capacity. I suspect it’ll be $699 entry level.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Kuo is suggesting $600-$700, not $550.

The TrueDepth components are supplied by a few small companies like Lumentum and Largan. None of the Android phones use it, so I wouldn't consider it mass production.

Apple is using an LCD from JDI with thin-bezel on all four edges. I doubt it's a cheap part.

mscice

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
funny -- while apple goes back to LCD samsung will release flexible oled i next galaxy X

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Apple made some big mistakes with OLED. They should have avoided OLED technology for the first X. Keep the price low and offer OLED as an expensive upgrade.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Why? iPhone X customers knowingly paid big bucks to be early adopters.
I “knowingly paid big bucks” to buy the best phone I’ve ever had. If they drop the price this year, I DON’T CARE. I will have enjoyed using it for a year and will continue for the foreseeable future.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Or we iphone poor edition people prefer a good garden burger to your steak. I don’t like oled. They are beautiful but overpriced and seem to have the potential for the black spot defect.

This. HATE OLED. Will not have OLED ever again if avoidable.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Price of early adoption, I'm afraid. As bad as Apple can be in the up-selling department, they didn't twist anybodys arm and force them to buy an overpriced phone.

No tech manufacturer can ‘twist anyone’s arm’ to purchase anything. It’s all executed through marketing and the consumer makes the decision what they want to buy. It’s Apple’s goal to sell the consumer the best product possible, rather somebody doesn’t like the product, that’s their opinion, but it doesn’t apply as fact to everybody else’s experience with the iPhone X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.