WSJ on 2019 iPhones: Triple-Lens Rear Camera on Next iPhone XS Max and Dual Rear on Next iPhone XR

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2019.

1. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

The iPhone XR switching to OLED screens rumor is insane. Apple invested a ton of resources and engineering into making full screen LCD panels that have the nice rounded corners. No way they’d abandon that investment after one year. Also, a switch to OLED would mean that iPhone XR would no longer be the battery champ it now is. And if it had an LED screen, the XR would no longer be the least expensive option.

This rumor: busted.

2. smulji macrumors 6502a

"Phones have become like PC's" => Yep. If you look at the PC market, they're essentially marketing towards niche use cases ( gaming, creative professionals, developers, enterprise users) to remain relevant. Same concept is happening in smartphones

3. Zenithal macrumors 603

"Siri, play "My Humps" by The Black Eyes Peas."

"Playing Tutti Fruitti by Little Richard."

4. palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

Why would Apple omit 3D Touch?? I use it daily it’s incredibly useful. Whenever I use a non 3D Touch device (Android) it feels foreign.

If some people don’t like it, you can always disable it....

5. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Don't forget the "We have ..." and "For you/your ... with emphasis. ;)

6. mscice macrumors 6502

hahaahh exactly ... too funny ... they will reuse as many parts they can from the unsold phone from this year...

7. alexandr macrumors regular

alexandr

This of the SE though - it didn't have all the features of the flagship. But if they drop it from the next XS, than it is most certainly gone)

8. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

At least she wasn't one of the people they ignore for 1 whole hour till you approach one of them...

9. melancholy macrumors 6502

melancholy

They better change how we interact with iOS if they remove 3D Touch. We constantly use it without even noticing. Constantly holding down isn’t as efficient as 3D Touch.

They’re going to need to come up ways to change or improve the experience without 3D Touch, it should be more efficient, not a downgrade.
    • We use 3D to enter rich notifications or access quick action
    • Quickly access more controls in Control Center
    • Peek and pop in Mail, Messages, Safari, and other apps
    • Being able to preview photos using peek and pop when batch selecting them via import
    • Move the cursor anywhere from the screen (moving the cursor down isn’t efficient from the space bar)
    • Selecting text / highlighting text with one finger
    • Quickly access more menus with songs in Apple Music

10. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

Cosmosent

I picked this up from one of the Guests on CNBC a few days ago.

After some thought on it, I think it is very valid.

He said the Avg iPhone User is willing to give AAPL $1/day ... & he was implying, BEFORE they consider upgrading.

So, e.g., a customer who purchases a $999 USD iPhone, NOT including taxes, would wait 999/365 = 2.74 years BEFORE considering an upgrade.

I think that is Spot On !

If AAPL desires iPhone customers to upgrade every two years, then they need to price their new "Flagship" iPhone (every Sept) less than 365 x 2= $730.

That should be their price target.

BTW, I used to think the threshold was $650 USD.

From this App Devs' perspective, it's definitely NOT a good thing that AAPL moved the iPhone product line so upscale ! ... many fewer potential customers now, compared to the 7+ days.

11. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

Removal of 3D touch would be a massive bummer for me.

12. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Latency.
    Right back at you with a single word response.

13. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

I’m pretty sure they fill the thing up as much as possible every time, space wise. Where is the extra room coming from?

14. mebehere macrumors 6502

There are other sites. Go have fun.

15. PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

Or maybe the mods can more strictly enforce the forum rule against off-topic posts?

16. mebehere macrumors 6502

The topic is 2019 iPhone rumors. A smaller phone could very well be a part of the story. Ain’t no big deal.

17. PickUrPoison, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

OP wasn’t specifically talking about this article. There are articles where talking about an SE2 is appropriate, but many where bringing up one’s personal preference for iPhone size is off topic.

18. kruegdude macrumors 6502

kruegdude

Um, 10 words.

19. unobtainium macrumors 68020

Niche concern.
    There's a two word response for you. Honestly I've never noticed latency on my AirPods.

20. Snownoob macrumors newbie

Snownoob

Seems like a pretty small issue when someone is buying a phone at that price point.

I would be very unhappy if they did this! I love the OLED screen and I don't want a 6.5" phone, it's WAY too big for me to use comfortably.

Exactly! 3D Touch is so useful. I'm constantly using it for pretty much all of this and some more. The delay for long pressing is just annoying.

Same! I use AirPods and Beats Studio 3 and I've never had any latency issues. I use them for music, podcasts, games and TV/Movies - never had any issues with my audio being out of sync either.

21. ksec macrumors 6502

$999 / $1099 - iPhone S - 5.8 / 6.5" - OLED, Triple Lens, Face ID 2.0, 4x4 Antenna, Intel 7660 Modem, A13 SoC
    $649 / $749 - iPhone R. - 5.5 / 6.1" - LCD, Double Lens, Face ID 2.0, 2x2 Antenna, Intel 7660 Modem, A13

May be Apple will have those Phones start at 128GB, so it felt like a better deal than last year.

22. potatoman93 macrumors newbie

My theory for 2019 is they will be differentiating the smaller and larger OLED models to better distribute the pricing, and will also reduce the pricing on some models as it is undeniably an issue in this current market. Not all models though, because they’re stubborn. My guess is as follows:

iPhone 11 Max - $1100 - OLED, stainless steel, improved Face ID, thinner due to removal of 3D Touch and touch layer integrated into OLED panel, 3 cameras for most superior camera (low light, VR and zoom), A13 and 6GB of RAM, Fast charger in the box

iPhone 11 - $900 - OLED, stainless steel, improved Face ID, thinner due to removal of 3D Touch and touch layer integrated into OLED panel, 2 cameras (some upgrades to the XS), Reduced price to make it more affordable/attainable, A13 and 4GB of RAM

iPhone 11R - $700 - LCD and aluminium, same body, iPhone XS camera, Reduced price to match entry level price of iPhone 8 from a few years ago, A13 and 4GB of RAM

An issue with the current lineup is most of the models are over $1000 and premium, and people don’t understand enough about the models to differentiate or justify the price. It’s moved from plastic vs aluminium, and big vs small, and now I think it’ll be cameras and screen tech. And this can also be summarised quite simply for the majority of the market:

- OLED with 3 cameras = most premium
    - OLED with 2 cameras = premium
    - LCD with 2 cameras = least premium

Then for 2020, I believe a redesign is in order, including a smaller notch or punch-hole design once the sensors are embedded behind the display. With this I hope they bring back the iPhone 5/iPad Pro style flat sides with matte stainless steel and OLED across the whole lineup. Maybe at this time they will also introduce a 5.2" R variant to there is the smaller and larger for both the entry level and premium ranges. 5.4/6.1 and 5.8/6.5

23. PlayUltimate macrumors regular

PlayUltimate

Addition of 5G in 2020 as well; albeit Sept 2020 seems like it will be late to the game.

24. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

Nope. They won't do that.

25. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Nope, I upgraded from my 4s to the XS Max. I look after my gear. :)