WSJ on 2019 iPhones: Triple-Lens Rear Camera on Next iPhone XS Max and Dual Rear on Next iPhone XR

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2019.

1. racerhomie macrumors regular

racerhomie

Stop being a fool. Apple can raise prices ,because it can . It is a luxury brand around the world ,and 60% of its sales come from outside the USA.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    Restart your phone.

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Just rather carry same cables..

3. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Unless they also include a totally revamped OS with new device specific features? Did it before.

btw - your sig link is not active :oops:

4. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

Guess Max folks get to buy new cases again! Hooray! /s

5. unobtainium macrumors 68020

If you have a newer MBP and/or iPad Pro it buys you the convenience of traveling with only one connector.

6. subjonas macrumors 68000

All phones these days are phablets. o_O

7. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

3D Touch comes out only to market it as a feature of the pressure sensitive Apple Pencil?

Also no XR mini? Shame on them.

8. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Dammit. I first grabbed the 8 Plus when it came out because I wanted the RAM and Camera (the better display was a cherry on top). But it was just TOO BIG. So I returned it and got the 8. I lost the RAM, better display, telephoto lens, portrait photos, etc. But I got a phone that I could use with one hand.

I had to COMPROMISE.

The XS and XS Max changed that. Apple finally let me pick what I wanted (fancy camera, RAM, and display) in a size that I wanted (SMALLER).

And now they are going back to the Plus style of fragmentation and COMPROMISE???

9. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

iPhone 7 Plus introduced: “Why are they forcing me to upgrade to this phablet by putting the premium camera on it?”

iPhone XS Max introduced: “Why is there no reason to upgrade to this? It’s just a bigger iPhone”

iPhone XI Max introduced: “Why are they forcing me to upgrade to this phablet by putting the premium camera on it?”

Apple can’t catch a break...

(Btw I’m firmly in the camp that the size of the device should not dictate the features)

10. Jarrodbcall macrumors regular

I love the idea of a second camera on the Xr, but it is still too big for my liking. If they can make some sort of Xr mini with two cameras I am in (I know that is basically the Xs, but I refuse to pay that much for a phone).

11. wolfboy, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

wolfboy macrumors regular

Their consideration of removing 3D Touch is telling. Seems like they were planning for a way to invoke those 3D touch features without needing the component, possibly with a UI overhaul in 2018 (which got delayed to 2019). That would explain why the XR doesn't have it since they need to secure components and prototype these things a year ahead.

12. ldandp0 macrumors newbie

I hope you're getting a steep discount with all of the shliling you do on this forum.

13. jgbr macrumors 6502a

Sounds like iPhone X Mark 3 or +++...
    Like Intels current chip line up.

The winners would be iPhone X users as little reason to upgrade theirs for yet another cycle.

14. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

Adding in a dual lens makes sense for the XR. If they increase the screen Dpi it’ll be a proper replacement for the plus models and a worthy upgrade.

Not suprising that the XS max replacement will get an extra camera - it worked well for the Plus.

Edit: not a surprise that 3D Touch is MIA after it was absent from the XR. It was obviously only on the XS models as the screen was likely geared to be in production for a set number of years. To all of those complaining - the screens should get cheaper & so should AppleCare+ and out of warranty replacements.

I wonder where the 4.7 inch screen replacement is?

15. timber macrumors 6502

Apple can keep the XR with an LCD but they should make it higher resolution. The screen is the most important thing in an smartphone and the first thing average consumers see.

The camera is fine as it is but in a year dual camera will probably be standard.

And of course they should lower the price.

Of these 3 things I think they will do the last two. The second because MCK predicted it and being something with supply chain I doubt he will fail. The third because Apple is already doing it and it is obvious they need it. They should also upgrade the screen but the design was probably set before they started to see the current XR drown. And if they lower the price they will seek every penny.

16. jgbr macrumors 6502a

I really wonder and then find out, that many who moan about Face ID actually do not use it daily, if at all, or even had it. Never had a problem with it and works faster than Touch ID.

Some seem to want to hold onto Touch ID until the sun goes nova. Maybe give it a try for an extended operational period before casting what you think is informed - when its not - opinion.

17. tomtattoo macrumors regular

tomtattoo

Body: 5/5s/iPadPro
    Size: 5"
    Color: The real black

Then my money will flow....

if not: no way!

18. kaneda macrumors 6502

Here are the marketing terms Apple will use in the keynote.

The best iphone we ever created
    It's amazing
    ##% faster
    It's the best iphone ever
    Amazing
    Best iphone for you
    It is remarkable

19. smulji, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

smulji macrumors 6502a

If this rumor is true and the XR gets a dual-lens camera and the XS 5.8" remains dual-lens, then for new users the XS 5.8" will be a tough sell. The only real difference will be the OLED screen / 3D Touch / slightly smaller size. I would prefer to see the following lineup. Leave the OLED / best camera for the absolute top-end model, drop the 5.8" OLED model, and have the middle-tiers be LCD.

5.5" XI - Dual-lens / LCD ($699)
    6.1" XI - Dual-lens / LCD ($799)
    6.5" XI Plus - Triple-lens / OLED ($999)

20. pappy53 macrumors regular

pappy53

Apple needs to concentrate on getting a camera as good as or better than the Pixel 3 and Galaxy S9.

21. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

Really good point. There’s going to have to be a clear gap between the models either side of the X replacement.

22. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

I hope they expand the faux 3D Touch for the xr to the home sceeen and peek and pop. I don’t see why that isn’t possible. I’ve gotten used to using non-3D touch devices such as the iPad. It’s really not vital given that android copies vital (and vice versa) features. I think one model of android had 3D touch but that was never adopted.

23. timber macrumors 6502

I am not going into if it is a gimmick or not but the moment they removed it from XR they were telling 3D Touch is gone...
    XR was designed as their volume phone. Features like 3D touch require developer support.
    If they do remove it from the next XS or XI or whatever 3D Touch is really gone.

24. Mizouse macrumors regular

If this is true then it looks like I’ll keep my iPhone 7 Plus even longer!

25. Nilhum macrumors regular

Nilhum

I don't see the problem. Phones have hit a barrier since the 7 plus Era. Even before really. All they can do is make it slightly faster, add a better camera, and maybe add a better camera. Now all phones are doing is hoping the design change will cause people to buy the phone.

Phones have become like PC's.