WTF. No A5 chip?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Razeus, Oct 11, 2011.

1. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

2. jlluna macrumors 6502

Another way apple could make more money, Lets just give it a little update.:mad:

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Just buy a unlocked iPhone 4GS instead. ;)

Seriously I think if they had put in the A5 chip the price difference between the 16GB iPod Touch and the 16GB iPhone 4S would have been too small and most people would then buy the unlocked Phone instead. So Apple choose to have a "cheaper" iPod touch model and sacrificed the A5 chip for that. Sucks if you are planning to game with it.

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

There is no such a thing as a 4GS! You prolly call the iPod touch the iTouch as well! :rolleyes:

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

sorry, just a typo. the second time i mentioned it i had the spelling right. no reason to roll eye's over simple a typo.;) anyway, how do you spell "probably"?

6. kolax macrumors G3

Was quite surprised by this too.

Given that they've previously marketed the iPod touch as a gaming device - most of the iPod touch ads were game play ones. They show off how good gaming can be on the A5 but don't stick one in the iPod touch.

They're probably using the remaining A4 chips, and it'll be a silent "processor bump".

7. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Yeah, I don't understand it. Maybe the next update will be a huge one.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Not just a gaming device, the world’s most popular portable game player.

9. applefan289, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

applefan289 macrumors 68000

I like that there's a difference between the iPod Touch and iPhone now. Before, it was "get the iPod Touch if you want an iPhone without the phone". Now, you *have* to get the iPhone to enjoy the more advanced stuff, like A5 chip, Siri, great camera, etc. The only thing separating the [old] iPhone 4 from the iPod Touch was the different design, better camera, and more RAM. Now, the differences are: different design, even better camera than the iPhone 4, more RAM, Siri, faster.

At least now there's a difference.

But yeah, it's very lame that they did not at least update it with an A5. Forget the camera or Siri, they should have updated it to an A5 to make it faster and take advantage of the new games/apps for the processor.

BTW, are the graphics generated specifically from the A5 chip? Or is that just the processor? Is there a separated graphics card in there?

10. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

A5 (and A4) have the CPU and GPU on the same chip.

11. applefan289 macrumors 68000

In that case, the A5 chip graphics are probably comparable to the original Xbox graphics?

12. MRaffle macrumors newbie

This is one of the main reasons why I decided against getting my son an iPod Touch this year.

13. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

They could have at least gave it the A4 and a 5MP backlit camera. Why does Apple treat this like a step child? People that need the phone will get the iPhone, but people that don't will get the iPod Touch.

14. applefan289 macrumors 68000

...or the iPad. I honestly feel that carrying around a phone and a Touch is annoying. I'd rather have a phone and an iPad than a phone and a Touch. At least they are used in different ways.

I'm still surprised though that the iPod line had practically no update to hardware except now the Touch comes in white (which is good).

15. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Dunno why people are calling it update. They added white color and put iOS 5.

They left it as same because there are no competitions out there.

I also heard about samsung VS apple lawsuit with A5 chip. Clearly, Samsung wants like 2.5% fees on Every A5 chip that apple uses.

This could be one of the reasons.

But, apple did cut the price on 8GB model, so better than nothing...

16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I think they are doing several things with the iOS line. Moving the iPhone update back to the same time as the iPod gives them two launches roughly equally spread out per year (iPad and iPhone/iPod). The iPad will get the new hardware in the Sprint, the iPhone gets the iPas hardware in the fall, and the iPod touch gets last years iPhone hardware. This lets them spread the expense of developing a new SoC each year over a two year cycle, seperates the iPhone and iPod touch apart on more then just the phone/cell radio (possibly opening the door to a 3G version someday), and also sets the iPad as the flagship product (in terms of hardware).

17. MicroByte macrumors 6502

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that they couldn't keep up with A5 manufucturing goals having to support the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. That doesn't mean that it's not disappointing though.

Also, there are some people who don't have the option or do not want a phone (that would be me). While I would love to have an iPhone, it's a huge cost of ownership with monthly bills that is not worth it for me. I depend on my iPod Touch as my primary portable entertainment/gaming device as the iPhone isn't what I want. Still, that's my decision and I see Apple's point of view in positioning the iPhone the way it has done.

To me it almost seems like they are treating the iPod Touch in a more "toy" like manner - slower processor, lower ram, subpar camera - and marketing it to the younger crowd whereas an iPhone is meant for the more mature crowd (of which I fit in).

18. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Why do you like the fact that there is a difference between the iPod Touch and the iPhone? Why do you think that a more powerful/capable iPod Touch is a BAD thing? :confused:

19. karma13612 macrumors member

I have been lugging my iPad back and forth to work and find it cumbersome. I use it for the music, and the fact that I can get Pandora at work using the free internet connection. I wanted to get an iPod Touch because it would be more portable than the iPad.

Since I am an iPad user, I will never be able to compare the iPad to the iPod Touch on sheer size alone. I agree that there is no sense in having both an iPhone and an iPodTouch. I use a pay-as-you-go NetTen phone. I do not spend my life on the phone or texting. So, the iPod Touch seemed a wonderful alternative until October 4th. Unfortunately they are making it VERY hard for people who want a great PALM held non-phone device to be enthusiastic about the iPod Touch after this recent iPhone launch with the great upgrades.

I was totally ready to purchase a new iPod Touch as soon as they were available based on the speculation and rumors of upgrades to it. Now that we have hit the 'reality wall' and we see that the iPod Touch is not getting an upgrade, I am really considering the iPhone. Of course I think it's positively nasty that if you want to get the iPhone (= latest upgrade to apple technology), but you don't want the phone portion, you need to spend a small fortune for a non-subsidized, unlocked iPhone. I cannot currently justify a phone plan with a monthly bill. Even if I go for the smallest number of minutes and the lowest data plan.

I am happy for the iPhone customers, just disappointed that I couldn't join the club. And very disappointed that the iPod Touch is forgotten this time round.

----------

you hit the nail on the head. in fact, i just commented in a similar fashion.

I am of the mature generation, and preferred the iPod touch because I just don't need a fancy phone, but I did want the wonderful technology that is part-and-parcel of it.

sigh...

----------

precisely!!!

+1000

20. applefan289, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

applefan289 macrumors 68000

The whole reason I'm getting an iPhone is the anytime, anywhere connectivity. If they offered a 3G version of the Touch, it would have been tempting.

But there's something about the iPhone that I love. I think it's the fact that it's an all-in-one device. Literally ALL your portable needs are on that one device.

----------

Well, I didn't really mean it would be a "BAD" thing. I just like the idea of there being more of a reason to get an iPhone than just the "if you want a phone, get an iPhone" and "if you don't want the phone get an iPod touch".

Now, there is a very noticeable difference (marketing-wise) between the iPod Touch and iPhone. Basically, if you want more advanced hardware (and a phone) go with the iPhone. If you want something less-advanced without a phone, get the iPod Touch.

I know it really doesn't make sense. I do think it would have been great to see a big update to the iPod Touch, but I'm just saying that since it didn't happen, now there's more of a difference between the two products. They can be distinguished more now rather than one just not having a phone and the other one having a phone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, now, there's more of a reason to get the iPhone over the iPod Touch.

I find this analogy between the iPod Touch and iPhone very similar to how game developers make video games for the home consoles and arcade machines.

The home console versions are less-serious and are not as fine-tuned as their arcade counterparts. The arcade versions have better quality setups, sometimes better graphics, etc.

Picture the iPhone 4S as the arcade machine, and the iPod Touch as the home console version of that same game. The arcade version (the 4S in this case) is more "souped-up" and has been given more attention and quality than the home console version (the iPod Touch).

Apple started doing this with the iPhone 4 where it got a better camera and 512MB of RAM. But now, there's a much more noticeable difference in hardware between the two.

21. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

they were having heat issues because they case of the iPhone was too cramped...how do you think they'd be able to put it in an iPod?

22. MicroByte macrumors 6502

If that's true, then the iPod Touch needs to go through a redesign or else it will become a stagnant brand and would fall far behind.

Just out of interest, do you have the source or article, this is the first I've heard of this reason.

23. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

:DYou should all come to realize that once the iPad was announced, the Touch was relegated to being 3rd class citizen. Its a device aimed at 5-13 year old who don't have phones. Or teens in that range. Any adult(18+), most likely would get an iPad or iPhone.

Be happy they gave you a white version and move along. I mean, for a few hundred(depending on size) you could get an iPad and be far better off.

My advice, sell your Touch and get the big boy toy the iPad.

Have fun with your stuff!:D