WWDC 2011 Set for June 6th-10th

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 28, 2011.

1. hayesk macrumors 65816

Alphabetical order.

2. Sellano macrumors newbie

let's introduce the merger

Anyone else thinks that Apple is readying the merger between iOS and MacOSX, at last?

I mean, why would the OSX get sliders instead of buttons (-> finder, etc)? And how would otherwise be the file-sharing in a cloud-centric iOS possible?

Looking quite forward to it!

What remains to clear how they would deal with the custom Apple ARM vs Intel chipsets programming issue (just as ppc and intel?), programming of apps (.app vs .ipa) ...

Still, they could make the jump or at least get ready for what would be after-cats OS releases...

My 2 peanuts. :)

3. hayesk macrumors 65816

I could also buy groceries for three months, but I don't see what that has to do with this being a Developer conference. Seriously people, this is a developer conference, not a consumer product showcase.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Considering all the iOS elements in Lion - namely Launchpad - I can't see the homescreen grid layout on iOS devices changing anytime soon, but I hope for a lot of UI improvements elsewhere (e.g. notifications).

5. leon44 macrumors 6502

leon44

it doesn't really make business sense for them to wait longer to do the iPhone 5, so many customers expect it around June and they save up and sell their old phone, also 12 month iPhone4 contracts and 24month 3Gs contracts expire in June!
    Apple knows what it's doing, no other company has ever had people so eager to give them their money for something they know nothing about yet.
    if there's no new iPhone, all these potential expectant customers might just buy an android.

6. hayesk macrumors 65816

Oh, a lot more remains to be clear than that. Like the fact that MacOS X and iOS have completely different UI layers, Window managers, input methods, memory systems, etc.

People often think a few UI elements are all that make up the OS, but there is so much more happening under the hood, and in the way the user interacts with the machine, that it's pretty clear that a merge between desktop and touch-based OSes are a loooong way off, if ever.

7. dustinsc macrumors regular

Well, it says a preview of iOS and Mac OS X. We've already seen a preview of OS X, so it's not unreasonable to think we will also see a preview of iOS before this.

8. Sylo macrumors newbie

9. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Looking forward to this event. Will be great to stream some of these conferences after they happen.

10. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Bingo!

Gotta love your logic.

11. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Maybe they'll announce iPhoto isn't a POS anymore.

12. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

Whatever they decide to show us I'm sure will be a welcome addition to both OS'.

13. DotComName macrumors member

super excited, tho a little bummed that we won't see an ios preview in April... :/ hopefully iOS 5 will bring multimedia and file cloud sync to iOS.

GO :apple:

14. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

my thoughts: iOS 5 will have a new revamped UI. The dock will now have a launchpad icon that will bring up all the applications. There will be no need for badges as the notifications will be present on the main page just like widgets. There will be feeds/social widgets on homepages that integrate with social networks i.e. Ping, Facebook, and Twitter..

Just my 2 cents.

15. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

16. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

That seems like a copy of the Android interface...

17. rovex macrumors 65816

We can feast our eyes on the Sony NGP whilst Apple have nothing new to show in terms of hardware! :D

18. 28monkeys macrumors 6502

28monkeys

19. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Sept/Oct. :apple:

20. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Wow, this is going to over-lap with E3. It'll be a hell of a week. :D

21. Thunderhawks Suspended

What would you like to see?

The iTracy watch that does everything and MR posters will complain that it's not 10 inches big, doesn't come in white, with matte screen option, for FREE etc.etc..

Mini
    ipods and
    MacPro

are ready to be updated.

The rest was just done.

iphone 5 will get a significant overhaul in ios, not product shape or form I think. Maybe replace the back glass panel and their everlasting quest for weight loss.

Some other areas are not of interest to Apple.

Developmental cycles many times have gaps.

One company is launching something in April, the other in October.

When October stuff comes out it will fall behind in development once April from another manufacturer launches, then they take turns trying to outdo each other.

As long as they all work on their stuff , it's all good for the consumers.

22. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Hurry!!!!

It sold out in 8 days last year. If you are planning on going DO NOT hesitate on getting the tickets.

23. ciTiger macrumors 6502a

ciTiger

So Lion won't debut on WWDC? Just preview? :confused:

Hum...

24. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

No OSX has ever been released at a WWDC - only announced / previewed.