WWDC 2011 Set for June 6th-10th

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Ok so maybe off track but how much longer can the Darwin/Mach underpinings of both OS X and iOS last?

How long till we get to a much better way of doing the lowest level of stuff that Apple starts transitioning the OS to a new kernal. Reading the wiki page for the Mach kernal it would seem many of Mach functions are either duplicated or at least extracted in to newer OS features like grand central. Plus they've put alot of investment in to the LLVM compiler chain.

I guess I'm wondering if "the Future of iOS and OS X" doesn't involve Mach? Lion/5 being the last in that line. With Apple taking the WWDC to discuss what's coming after these two as much as what's in these two. You'd imagine that transition would be a two year public plan to make sure developers are getting themselves ready and it seems like Lion/5 will be in reasonable shape for those that need to delay a the transition for their own work reasons.

Makes it sound like Apple will keep the two brandings to distinguish the two user experiences.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Ok so maybe off track but how much longer can the Darwin/Mach underpinings of both OS X and iOS last?

How long till we get to a much better way of doing the lowest level of stuff that Apple starts transitioning the OS to a new kernal. Reading the wiki page for the Mach kernal it would seem many of Mach functions are either duplicated or at least extracted in to newer OS features like grand central. Plus they've put alot of investment in to the LLVM compiler chain.

I guess I'm wondering if "the Future of iOS and OS X" doesn't involve Mach? Lion/5 being the last in that line. With Apple taking the WWDC to discuss what's coming after these two as much as what's in these two. You'd imagine that transition would be a two year public plan to make sure developers are getting themselves ready and it seems like Lion/5 will be in reasonable shape for those that need to delay a the transition for their own work reasons.

Makes it sound like Apple will keep the two brandings to distinguish the two user experiences.
Apple already overhauled the kernel in Snow Leopard, it's designed to last another decade or two. The kernel is fine and doesn't need to be replaced. It's the file system that needs to be changed out on the Macs.

Also both cores of iOS/Mac OS X are based on the same OS X core. It's the middle/front ends that are optimized for the medium, iOS for touchscreen mobile devices and Mac OS X for computers with keyboard/mouse/multi-touch.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
I am looking for the full schedule for the developer conference. Specifically, I need to know when we will be done on Friday. This will help me book my tickets back to my town. Can someone help me with this? ( If there is another thread specifically about the developer conference, please point me to that as well. )

Sined

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
When has Apple ever made anything more than "just a small improvement"?
iOS evolution from 1 to 4 is somewhat disappointing. It has become somewhat stale, especially for the iPad. Hopefully iOS 5 is a big leap forward.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I am looking for the full schedule for the developer conference. Specifically, I need to know when we will be done on Friday. This will help me book my tickets back to my town. Can someone help me with this? ( If there is another thread specifically about the developer conference, please point me to that as well. )
Friday is usually the miscellaneous sessions day, when the less important (or popular I might say) sessions are held. Of course you can leave whenever you want but Friday is still a full day. I would plan on staying the entire day if you can. Leaving Saturday morning is best as you can relax on Friday :)

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Thanks kainjow. That gives me an idea. I need to fly back to Chicago. There is this black hole period between 6 to 11 P.M. pacific where no flights leave for Chicago (because departures during that time put the landing time in Chicago when the airport there is closed for landing.) I need to leave before that, take the red-eye, or leave Saturday. If most of the stuff will be done by 2 or 3 P.M. then I can try for that last flight before the black hole sets in.

When do they publish the actual schedule as to what happens on each day?

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
iOS evolution from 1 to 4 is somewhat disappointing. It has become somewhat stale, especially for the iPad. Hopefully iOS 5 is a big leap forward.
really?

you think it will be anything more than an incremental improvement?

palter

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2006
Boston, MA
Friday is usually the miscellaneous sessions day, when the less important (or popular I might say) sessions are held. Of course you can leave whenever you want but Friday is still a full day. I would plan on staying the entire day if you can. Leaving Saturday morning is best as you can relax on Friday :)
Last year, in the original schedule, all sessions on Friday ended before lunch and lunch was the last item on the schedule. During the week, they added a couple of repeat sessions in the first slot after lunch. But, still, all sessions were over by 3PM.

I don't expect Apple to post the full schedule 'till a couple weeks before the conference. (I agree it would be nice if they posted it sooner.)

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Thanks Palter. Based on all your input, I booked my ticket on a 7 P.M. flight. Hopefully I can leave Moscone by 5 P.M. and make it. I assume it will take a bit longer than usual at that time of the day to get to San Francisco International Airport -SFO ( Google says half an hour with traffic )

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Take BART

Thanks Palter. Based on all your input, I booked my ticket on a 7 P.M. flight. Hopefully I can leave Moscone by 5 P.M. and make it. I assume it will take a bit longer than usual at that time of the day to get to San Francisco International Airport -SFO ( Google says half an hour with traffic )
BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) runs to the airport - the closest station is under Market St at Powell, a couple of blocks from Moscone. No traffic worries.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Thanks AidenShaw. Good idea. I need to get familiar with the BART. You are right about no traffic related worry. I will also consider taking it to get to the hotel instead of taking a cab. Thx.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Any recommendations on a couple of good hotels to stay? In the less than $130 price range...

greenbobb

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah, it seems like they only make enough improvements to stay in the game, and aren't super interested in really mind-blowing advances. It's the little things that count for sure, but for all the hype you'd think we'd get something mind-boggling every once in a while.

mc2thearson

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
What are the chances of iPhone 5 going on sale the same week or the week after? :eek:
I'd guess slim. I think it's far more likely that we see an iPhone 4s release before a release of an iPhone 5.

People will be expecting a pretty major overhaul to the chassis for an iPhone 5...

Whereas apple could easily release an iPhone 4s with the exact same look of the iPhone 4 ... just more "under the hood".

If we DO see an iPhone 4s release I'd expect more data storage (likely 32g and 64g), possibly faster processors, an improved camera and maybe a bigger battery.

That way apple could continue to pump them out using the same model as the iPhone 4, and keep people happy (at least mostly happy) all in one fell swoop.

I just think it's unlikely that we'll see an iPhone 5, so soon after the release of the white iPhone 4. It just doesn't make sense to me that Apple would (finally) start the white iPhone 4 into full production, only to stop it completely a couple months later with the introduction of a completely re-vamped iPhone 5 model.

My guess? We'll likely get a release date of an iPhone 4s and see the iPhone 5 roll out in 2012...

A few more weeks though, and we'll know for sure what they've got up their sleeve.