WWDC 2014 speculation thread

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Nalmond92, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Nalmond92 macrumors regular

Just a thread for members to give their thoughts on Hardware, Software and Services that might be announced at WWDC 2014. Could even speculate on dates, API's that Devs want etc.

Just from previous times and Moscone's current event line up, I have WWDC beginning week of June 9th.

2. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

3. Nalmond92 thread starter macrumors regular

For the last 2 years it's has started on the 2nd Monday of June. According to the moscone centre events already planned. The only time for a week long conference would be from the 9th until the 13th. The 9th also happens to be the 2nd Monday of June 2014.

I realise all it's all speculation but it fits with evidence and past patterns.

4. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

He meant that your post is a bit early and not the date you estimated..
    And why this post is in the iOS 7 forum?:confused:

Onto the topic, it will be mostly the same as the last years: iOS 8 & OSX 10.10 demo+beta, and some new MBA and/or MBP. Looking forward to the modernized look of OSX :)

5. Nalmond92 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh I see.

Well it could be early, but no harm in getting the forum out there.

Went to ios as the main event is ios software. Mods can move it elsewhere if they wish.

I do hope they jazz it up a bit this year I.e more hardware. Perhaps Schiller will give us another sneak peak at something...

Agreed, can't wait to see what the 10.10 update looks like. I'm guessing mail will take big cues from the icloud.com app. Wish rumours focused as much on OS X as they do for ios 8.
    I do see apple doing a tic-tok style approach between both os'. When one gets major features the other gets refinement. Would help with sharing engineers.

6. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I believe it will go like this -

1. Updated Macbook Air with 12" retina screen. Fan-less, uses ARM processor.
    2. OSX 10.10, takes design queues from iOS 7 but not so much transparency.
    3. iOS 8

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I think we will see
    New Mac book airs
    New version of OS X for developers
    iOS 8 or developers
    All on June 9th

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

9. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

iPhone 6 will ship with iOS 8 and I doubt iOS 8 will lauch in june, we'll more likely get iOS 8 beta 1 in june.

10. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

I know this ... I was just messing around. :cool:

11. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Ohh perdón :D

12. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Not the iWatch unfortunately. Probably iOS 8 (I expect this to be great, but I'm not all that excited about it specifically. Mostly interested in Healthbook, which probably won't be mentioned at all), OS X 10.10(hyped. So hyped), and new Macbook whatever it is (Curious about it, but I have no intention of buying it). So yeah, someone wake me up when the iWatch and/or iPhone is announced.

13. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

iOS 8 & OSX 10.10 Golden Gate Bridge for sure. Maybe MacBook updates/new MBA.

14. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

I don't think OSX 10.10 is gonna be called. Golden Gate Bridge

15. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

I bet we will see it eventually, they are all going to be California themed names.

http://youtu.be/zWqUaO1AAIk?t=1m43s

16. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I'm putting money OS X Yosemite.

17. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

18. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I would really like to see OS X with a new design. I think there won't be much changes to iOS, some new apps only. I'm thinking they will talk about the watch, it only like the talked about the Mac Pro last year.

19. BillyMatt87 macrumors 6502a

New Macs are almost a given at this point but which particular models are anyone's guess. Most likely redesigned MacBook Airs with Retina Displays. I fully expect the lowest-end MacBook Pro (Non-Retina Unibody) to get the boot therefore all MacBooks will have Retina Displays. I wonder if the iMac will go Retina this year but we may see that in the fall.

I'm worried more about the future of Mac OS X, especially under the direction of Jony Ive who is a brilliant hardware designer but a mediocre software designer. The design of Mac OS X is absolutely perfect as is and doing a complete redesign would be nothing more than trying to fix something that is not broken. Hopefully if there are design changes, they won't be too radical or over-the-top. Some icons could use a bit less gloss but otherwise they look perfect but hopefully the apps won't be mostly blinding white space.

iOS 8 will ultimately make or break Ive as a UI designer. I, like many others have given him the benefit of the doubt because iOS 7 was rushed and remains unfinished both visually and functionality. To make absolutely no UI/visual changes in iOS 8 would be ridiculous and unlikely given the polarizing feedback towards the redesign. I hope Ive and his team have learned what worked in iOS 7 and what hasn't. iOS 7 has a lot of great features but the design needs a lot of refinement and polishing. I don't expect another complete overhaul for a while (but hopefully Ive won't let this new design get too stale like Forstall did with Classic iOS) but making easier-to-indentify buttons, more consistent/less cartoonish icons (that will be designed by Ive's team and not the Marketing Department), better contrast within apps (it's too white!) and much-improved stock apps (particularly Music) isn't asking for too much. Also, iOS 8 needs to be designed with the iPad in mind this time around.

My gut feeling is that the new iOS will evolve and mature into the mobile OS that we've all come to know and love but in a much better way. I want to believe in Jony and I truly want him to succeed as a software designer but he's gotta to prove to us that he fully knows hat he's doing in that department. Jony is a perfectionist and very detailed-oriented so hopefully that will pay off better in future updates.

20. Xeyad macrumors 6502

Here's how it goes:

- Tim Cook welcomes everyone
    - Tim updates everyone about their new Apple Stores
    - Tim shows an emotional video of people using iPhone and iPads
    - Phil Schiller comes on stage to talk about a few new Mac products.
    - Phil introduces the new 12" Macbook Air w/Retina Display. Crowd goes wild
    - Craig Federighi comes to stage to talk OS X.
    - Craig introduces OS X 10.10. Biggest design update to OS X. Crowd goes wild again.
    - Eddy Cue comes to stage to talk a bit on iCloud updates.
    - No one cares.
    - Tim comes back to stage to talk about iOS sales. Wants to convince everyone that iOS is still larger than the universe.
    - Tim shows a video of iOS 8 with Healthbook alongside the iWatch!
    - Tim gives a sneak peak to the upcoming iWatch. Crowd goes crazy wild! Coming late 2014.
    - Craig comes back up to talk about iOS 8.
    - Tim goes summarizes the event, says competition is lost, and they're the only ones doing things right.
    - Tim goes out and brings some punk band.

DONE

21. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

Hahaha, this is perfect!! lol

22. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

iCloud updates that no one cares about? iCloud is my favorite thing about Apple products. And ironically it is something the competition is lost about. Any and all updates welcome.

23. scrmtrey macrumors regular

scrmtrey

99% accurate, hahaha epic

24. iAlexO macrumors newbie

This is what I think'll happen.

This is what I think'll happen.

Some weird animated video will play that nobody really cares about (unless they bring back the old Mac vs PC guys, I loved them)
    Tim Cook walks up with a smug face and welcomes everyone, talks about how many people came to WWDC this year and how successful WWDC has been. He'll also talk about Retail and the App Stores.
    Schiller will come up and talk about the Mac
    Schiller will show a picture of the new Mac, list specs and price
    Creg will come up and talk about OS X
    Creg will do some dramatic intro of like "And today, we're bringing you the next big innovation to Mac OS X... OS X Hollywood"
    Creg will spend 30 minutes talking about OS X's new features
    Schiller will come back up and talk about iOS
    Schiller will diss another company again with another "my ass" joke
    Schiller will announce iOS 8 and give a glimpse of the iWatch - nothing more than a glimpse, just like the Mac Pro last year
    Creg will come up and talk about iCloud *yawn*
    Tim Cook will come up and "So, to recap. iOS 8, some grooouundbreaking new stuff. Mac OS X. Innovative new technologies. New MacBook Airs."
    Tim Cook will bring up Elton John or some other music person that no one really cares about.
    Curtain.

I'm actually hoping they follow the rules of math and instead of OS X 10.10, they go with OS XI 11.0 or something. Because that'd be awesome. They'll have to get out of 'X' at some point. (20 years from now, OS X 28.0: Now with Launchpad 2.0: Turns your Mac into a rocket ship!)