Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Best Buy has had a few drops lately. And some people were mentioning that they even had some in stock in stores, where people were lining up. But I’m glad the app worked for you, and it’s actually a really well-managed and streamlined app, and one little feature they have, is for $5.49 a month, they can put you on a ‘priority list’ to alert you over others.(Which you can do month to month for the fee.)

The only downside to the HotStock app, is that it’s extremely popular and it’s very well-known, which obviously means it’s much more difficult to land a specific graphics card or console when the world knows about it. But the developers did a really nice job, and it’s one of the many tools trying to battle scalpers to not give them your business.

Any specific titles you’re looking for this year for the Xbox? I’m still hooked on Microsoft flight simulator, and it’s just absolutely unreal the globe is at your fingertips and the realism is just something we’ve never seen before.

I've got quite a few Microsoft Rewards points saved up so I imagine I'll spend most of my time on Game Pass. Psychonauts 2 got really good reviews so I'll jump on that. Forza Horizon 5 is probably the one I'm anticipating the most but have to wait till November. I want to give some 360 games a try with backwards compatibility as well. Fable 2 was my favorite 360 game so definitely will fire that one up. So yeah.....it will keep me busy. :cool:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Well I finally got one. I've had the Hotstock app you recommended notifying me every time one pops up. This morning it said Best Buy had them in stock. So I jumped on it and was able to snag one. It is going to be delivered to my local Best Buy on October 8th.

So took me just over a month to get one. Not too bad. Thanks again for the suggestion. And @Eggtastic as well.

Wow I could not have imagined that XSX is STILL hard to get!?!? With great difficulty, I got mine around Christmas. It was not easy at all. Pretty much just glued to my phone and computer waiting for drops and then some came and I VERY QUICKLY ordered it having everything ready. Luckily I got it.

Back then, people were saying after Christmas into the new year it would be much easier to get one. But I guess not. I'm shocked tbh

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Wow I could not have imagined that XSX is STILL hard to get!?!? With great difficulty, I got mine around Christmas. It was not easy at all. Pretty much just glued to my phone and computer waiting for drops and then some came and I VERY QUICKLY ordered it having everything ready. Luckily I got it.

Back then, people were saying after Christmas into the new year it would be much easier to get one. But I guess not. I'm shocked tbh

It is a bit crazy. I read somewhere that Xbox in particular is hard to find because Microsoft has been filling their datacenter with Xbox Series X blades which has limited supply even more than PS5 which is also pretty scarce.

Reactions: Hieveryone

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
It is a bit crazy. I read somewhere that Xbox in particular is hard to find because Microsoft has been filling their datacenter with Xbox Series X blades which has limited supply even more than PS5 which is also pretty scarce.

Insane man. I got a couple noticeable gashes and nicks on the front in mine unfortunately during transport recently and was feeling kind of bad about it, but now I'm just glad to have one. Still works fine

Reactions: TopherMan12

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
6DA2DD0F-8ED5-4474-B722-4148FBD985C5.jpeg

As a complete beginner I have been playing Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 on my Xbox Series X for just over a month.

It's a mind blowing piece of game/software/simulator. Here is my experience playing with a controller.

Controller Pros:
-It's always on my side nest of table. I can grab it and fly a plane 30 seconds later. Nothing needs to be setup or put away. The less friction, the more often you are likely to use something.

-It can be used for both flying the plane and as a cursor in the cockpit. Some yokes or hotas can only be used for flight and require you to use a mouse or the controller in the cockpit.

-If calibrated well, it is very precise, even for millimeter movements of the left thumb stick.

-Good landings are executed by controlling speed and altitude. The less you use the yoke, the better. Therefore a hotas or yoke does not necessarily make landings easier. This is especially true for big airliners.

Controller cons:
-There is a learning curve for using it in the cockpit or switching seamlessly between cockpit and external view.

-Leisurely flight explorations using small aircrafts would be more fun and immersive.

-For airliners, toggling speed brakes in the cockpit while landing can be stressful.

-There are several buttons or controls that I would prefer accessing on the controller rather than having to go into the cockpit.

-Differential engine thrust controls would be handy in adverse weather or for making super tight turns during when taxi.

My criteria for buying an Xbox yoke or hotas.

Precise throttle: Unfortunately a few yokes and hotas have floppy throttles that don't hold their position well. This takes away realism and defeats the purpose of buying a simulator peripheral.

Lever for speed brakes: This would be handy during challenging landings.

A multi purpose wheel: For adjusting autopilot altitude, speed or heading.

Cursor thumb sticks: I want to keep my hands on the yoke/ hotas and have to use a mouse or pick up a controller when inside a cockpit.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Reference Microsoft flight simulator, this is not a game, it’s a very surreal, majestic experience:

This is just a few the vacation spots I actually stayed at during the summer in Florida, and I didn’t even fly by the Keys yet.

I mean, this just totally shows the power of the Series X in terms of level of detail with synced mapping. Crazy really.

For flying ‘in game’, I traveled 1200 miles (3 Hour trip) from my hometown to Florida from a Boeing 777, and then used a Textron Beechcraft to roam at lower altitudes for the below scenery:
025ADDC8-BB03-4873-B6A8-B94C1FD79298.jpeg
31E10F52-96AA-4480-8369-39DA5650D9E5.jpeg

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
View attachment 1851895

As a complete beginner I have been playing Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 on my Xbox Series X for just over a month.

It's a mind blowing piece of game/software/simulator. Here is my experience playing with a controller.

Controller Pros:
-It's always on my side nest of table. I can grab it and fly a plane 30 seconds later. Nothing needs to be setup or put away. The less friction, the more often you are likely to use something.

-It can be used for both flying the plane and as a cursor in the cockpit. Some yokes or hotas can only be used for flight and require you to use a mouse or the controller in the cockpit.

-If calibrated well, it is very precise, even for millimeter movements of the left thumb stick.

-Good landings are executed by controlling speed and altitude. The less you use the yoke, the better. Therefore a hotas or yoke does not necessarily make landings easier. This is especially true for big airliners.

Controller cons:
-There is a learning curve for using it in the cockpit or switching seamlessly between cockpit and external view.

-Leisurely flight explorations using small aircrafts would be more fun and immersive.

-For airliners, toggling speed brakes in the cockpit while landing can be stressful.

-There are several buttons or controls that I would prefer accessing on the controller rather than having to go into the cockpit.

-Differential engine thrust controls would be handy in adverse weather or for making super tight turns during when taxi.

My criteria for buying an Xbox yoke or hotas.

Precise throttle: Unfortunately a few yokes and hotas have floppy throttles that don't hold their position well. This takes away realism and defeats the purpose of buying a simulator peripheral.

Lever for speed brakes: This would be handy during challenging landings.

A multi purpose wheel: For adjusting autopilot altitude, speed or heading.

Cursor thumb sticks: I want to keep my hands on the yoke/ hotas and have to use a mouse or pick up a controller when inside a cockpit.

This is a REALLY beautiful setup man. The rug, TV stand, the colors of everything in the room, it just blends really nicely.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
For flying ‘in game’, I traveled 1200 miles (3 Hour trip) from my hometown to Florida from a Boeing 777, and then used a Textron Beechcraft to roam at lower altitudes for the below scenery:

Earlier this week I did my longest flight. It was 2 hours and I configured and used autopilot for the first time for cruise altitude down to 5,000ft.

I've also had two friends over who were over joyed to fly over where they currently live or work. One guy even shot a photo of the TV to show his GF the apartment block and hospital where they had their first baby.

The Citation Latitude business jet is my favourite airplane. It's as fast as the Dreamliner and 747 but small enough to use regional airports from take off and landing. Now I understand why billionaires and mega celebrities fly private! :cool:

I ended up buying the Premium Deluxe copy and am happy with the purchase. Over the past month the game has crashed 6 times. I would love for MS to release a road map for the game e.g how frequently will bing maps be updated, which cities are next to receive handcrafted buildings, will more planes be offered for free?

This is a REALLY beautiful setup man. The rug, TV stand, the colors of everything in the room, it just blends really nicely.
Thanks. The TV is a 55 inch LG 55. It's sat on an IKEA Lack shelf that allows it to clear the sound bar. The Nintendo Switch is sat in its dock behind the TV. However the Bluray player and PS3 aren't plugged in. They have been left there as ornaments until I have bought come cactus plants to replace them with.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I ended up buying the Premium Deluxe copy and am happy with the purchase. Over the past month the game has crashed 6 times. I would love for MS to release a road map for the game e.g how frequently will bing maps be updated, which cities are next to receive handcrafted buildings, will more planes be offered for free?
I don't think you're going to get any more planes for free, given that the two that Asobo has released since launch (Husky and JU-52) both cost money. To be fair, though, it's a small amount of money compared to the planes from the major add-on manufacturers (I paid $60 for a DC-6 for the PC version).

Getting major scenery updates for free is unprecedented in the flight sim world, since previously we'd have to rely on third-party companies for that stuff. I spent way too much on add-ons for Prepar3d, and sometimes there would be a fee for updates after a new version of the sim was released (and new sim versions always cost full price to upgrade). MSFS is great value, especially since it plays really well on a $500 console. The only thing you miss out on is the choice of controllers.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Earlier this week I did my longest flight. It was 2 hours and I configured and used autopilot for the first time for cruise altitude down to 5,000ft.

I've also had two friends over who were over joyed to fly over where they currently live or work. One guy even shot a photo of the TV to show his GF the apartment block and hospital where they had their first baby.

The Citation Latitude business jet is my favourite airplane. It's as fast as the Dreamliner and 747 but small enough to use regional airports from take off and landing. Now I understand why billionaires and mega celebrities fly private! :cool:

I love the Citation Latitude. It has an easy start up, and it’s very quick and agile.

So far, I’ve only purchased a Boeing 777, which I might also purchase the Boeing 737. (Which is almost identical to the Airbus A320 in terms of max speed and altitude.) At some point, I’ll probably purchase a fighter jet, like the F-15 looks wild.

One tip I can give you, to make it a smoother experience without experiencing any type of crashing, is disable ‘Live Air Traffic.’ I’ve only had one crash so far, and others were saying that by disabling that feature, it should help contribute to less crashes. [Especially with the busier airports.] Also, I disabled ‘Photogrammetry’, which is a really cool feature when it matures, but it’s still kind of inconsistent, it needs a patch.

However, What MFS really needs, is able to pull up a detailed- ‘live map’ of where you are, because the VFW map is to condensed and lacks any type of demarcations.

Some of the new features that I heard might be included in the next update is helicopters are imminent, a ‘live replay’ feature that will show you your entire flight, basically where you can review your takeoff, landings, etc.

The thing that impresses me the most, is like I said, this isn’t a game, this is an experience. And the engine sounds are just insanely accurate. I just flew on the Airbus a320 a month ago and it literally sounds like an Airbus a320 completely replicated in this game.

Also, if you have any technical feedback or specific graphic flaws that you encounter, I heard Asobo is very good at looking into these in a reasonable timeframe.

Last edited:

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I don't think you're going to get any more planes for free, given that the two that Asobo has released since launch (Husky and JU-52) both cost money. To be fair, though, it's a small amount of money compared to the planes from the major add-on manufacturers (I paid $60 for a DC-6 for the PC version).

Getting major scenery updates for free is unprecedented in the flight sim world, since previously we'd have to rely on third-party companies for that stuff. I spent way too much on add-ons for Prepar3d, and sometimes there would be a fee for updates after a new version of the sim was released (and new sim versions always cost full price to upgrade). MSFS is great value, especially since it plays really well on a $500 console. The only thing you miss out on is the choice of controllers.

Fair enough. The planes are a way for MS to generate income for the upkeep of the game. If they wanted to, they would have been complete dicks by making it a subscription only game or stifle gameplay with micro transactions. :p It incredible that you can buy this game outright and as a physical copy! These days you can't even own Photoshop or Word outright.

Choice of controllers will likely improve over the next 6-18 months. I'm sure there are several under development that haven't been announced it.

I love the Citation Latitude. It has an easy start up, and it’s very quick and agile.

So far, I’ve only purchased a Boeing 777, which I might also purchase the Boeing 737. (Which is almost identical to the Airbus A320 in terms of max speed and altitude.) At some point, I’ll probably purchase a fighter jet, like the F-15 looks wild.

One tip I can give you, to make it a smoother experience without experiencing any type of crashing, is disable ‘Live Air Traffic.’ I’ve only had one crash so far, and others were saying that by disabling that feature, it should help contribute to less crashes. [Especially with the busier airports.] Also, I disabled ‘Photogrammetry’, which is a really cool feature when it matures, but it’s still kind of inconsistent, it needs a patch.

However, What MFS really needs, is able to pull up a detailed- ‘live map’ of where you are, because the VFW map is to condensed and lacks any type of demarcations.

Some of the new features that I heard might be included in the next update is helicopters are imminent, a ‘live replay’ feature that will show you your entire flight, basically where you can review your takeoff, landings, etc.

The thing that impresses me the most, is like I said, this isn’t a game, this is an experience. And the engine sounds are just insanely accurate. I just flew on the Airbus a320 a month ago and it literally sounds like an Airbus a320 completely replicated in this game.

Also, if you have any technical feedback or specific graphic flaws that you encounter, I heard Asobo is very good at looking into these in a reasonable timeframe.

I have seen the fighter jet but intentionally avoided buying it early this early on. I fear that I could spoil the other aircrafts for me. It's the fastest and most agile plane. Too much goodness for me to get accustomed to.

Thanks for the tip about switching off live traffic! I will do so going forward. Especially since I'm not a gamepads subscriber.

My favourite experience is when doing a night flight from a gate. The sounds from switching on the battery, APU and then engines are suuuuuuuuuuper satisfying.

Agreed. The VFW map needs work. It would be cool if there was a companion app that enabled us to use a phone-tablet as a VFW map or to view approach paths-gates etc.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
The VFW map needs work. It would be cool if there was a companion app that enabled us to use a phone-tablet as a VFW map or to view approach paths-gates etc.
You’re going to need the PC version for that, at least for now. On PC you can hook it up to all manner of map and flight plan apps, on tablets or on a second screen (I use Little NavMap, which is amazing and completely free). But these all require a plug-in called SimConnect, which is unlikely to be available on Xbox due to requiring open LAN communication.

It seems to be a common request on the official MSFS forum though, so maybe they’ll sort out a dedicated companion app one day.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have seen the fighter jet but intentionally avoided buying it early this early on. I fear that I could spoil the other aircrafts for me. It's the fastest and most agile plane. Too much goodness for me to get accustomed to.

Thanks for the tip about switching off live traffic! I will do so going forward. Especially since I'm not a gamepads subscriber.

My favourite experience is when doing a night flight from a gate. The sounds from switching on the battery, APU and then engines are suuuuuuuuuuper satisfying.

Agreed. The VFW map needs work. It would be cool if there was a companion app that enabled us to use a phone-tablet as a VFW map or to view approach paths-gates etc.
When Microsoft and ASobo agreed to bring Microsoft flight simulator to the XSX, all they did, was a direct copy over from the PC version. The advantage to the X version, has so much more potential to add new features, i.e.-graphic layover, more immersive sound effects, more detailed terrain, 3-D model rendering of specific buildings that will actually give you real life presentation, [which is what photogrammetry is executing]. This is just the start of what’s to come, basically a Asobo is laying down the framework, and building a project that will be far more advantageous over the PC version. However, it’s going to take a long time to reach that level, with patchwork for years before we can start to see more groundbreaking upgrades. The adding of planes is just the start. Just wait.

I’ll say it again for a third time, just because it makes sense, this is not a game, it’s all about the experience!

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
The advantage to the X version, has so much more potential to add new features, i.e.-graphic layover, more immersive sound effects, more detailed terrain, 3-D model rendering of specific buildings that will actually give you real life presentation, [which is what photogrammetry is executing]. This is just the start of what’s to come, basically a Asobo is laying down the framework, and building a project that will be far more advantageous over the PC version.
That's just not correct at all. It's nice that the sim can run on Xbox, so more people get to try it out, but it doesn't compare all that well to the PC version. I've tried both, since profiles are shared between them via the cloud, and I ended up deleting the Xbox one to save space - it's much lower detail, lower framerate, a poorer choice of control options and add-ons... My Xbox isn't suddenly going to find a whole lot more horsepower, so the only real advantage is cost.

Also, PC version will scale to fit your hardware while the Xbox is really hard pushed to achieve 30 fps. You should definitely give it a go on a PC if you can, it's a much better experience overall.
Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-02_10_2021-12_51_57.jpg

And you can have stuff like this running alongside it, which is great for finding your way around airports without resorting to assistance:
Little-Navmap-2.6.jpg

Or this, which is a sort of game overlay so you can play at being a delivery pilot:
Skypad-02_10_2021-13_06_46.jpg

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's nice that the sim can run on Xbox, so more people get to try it out, but it doesn't compare all that well to the PC version.
I’m not sure what you didn’t understand about my post, which is why I said exactly where the game is at currently and where the future of where it will be. And I never compared the PC version to the Xbox version, you implied that, not me. However, the Xbox version doesn’t compare to the PC version yet, it’s been released for the better part of three months, and this is a maturity process over years to build from where it is now. Everything I said was absolutely accurate, and Microsoft mentioned that this is a future project of building in terms of what they’re going to be adding, other than being a direct layover of the PC version to the disc version on the Xbox as it now.

You yourself have no idea of what the Xbox version can attribute over the next XYZ months in terms of what they will be adding/rebuilding, and it’s not even fair to use a direct comparison with the PC version, When the PC version has had a lengthy history of a building base.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Just got a Series S + 3 years gamepass to supplement my PS5 disc version.

Plan on not buying anything on the xbox side and just ride the gamepass train for multiplatformers and exclusives.

Love the form factor, quick resume across multiple games, and to dust off my S1 Elite Controller.

The graphics honestly aren't that bad to me either? Came from a One S though as my last xbox.

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Just got a Series S + 3 years gamepass to supplement my PS5 disc version.

Plan on not buying anything on the xbox side and just ride the gamepass train for multiplatformers and exclusives.

Love the form factor, quick resume across multiple games, and to dust off my S1 Elite Controller.

The graphics honestly aren't that bad to me either? Came from a One S though as my last xbox.
Same with me. Haven’t bought any games on Xbox nor ps5 yet. Although I was disappointed that gta v was pulled from game pass. Other than that, it’s been fun playing all these games that I would not have bought. Looking forward to back for blood and might get into scarlet nexus.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Also, PC version will scale to fit your hardware while the Xbox is really hard pushed to achieve 30 fps. You should definitely give it a go on a PC if you can, it's a much better experience overall.
For some games. The PC software is a completely different experience.

A great example is games like GTA for which add-ons and mods offer a deeper and richer experience than the console equivalent. This is fantastic for enthusiasts and devoted fans.

You yourself have no idea of what the Xbox version can attribute over the next XYZ months in terms of what they will be adding/rebuilding, and it’s not even fair to use a direct comparison with the PC version, When the PC version has had a lengthy history of a building base.
Step 1 for such a complex simulator is to release a version that:
1. Works as advertised.
2. Has stable performance.
3. Is inviting to first time users and doesn't overwhelm with settings and options.

All three objectives have been achieved for the Xbox version.

The PC version will always be the best place to play for experience sim players. Enabling third party mods, add ons and customisation.

It will be interesting to see whether MS could enable 1-2 rigorously managed add-on for the Xbox version OR roll them into the Xbox version as features.

The biggest challenge with xbox add-ons for Microsoft is licences. Their cost, expiry and usage.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just Purchased the Boeing 737 Max. By far, this is the most instrument sensitive plane that everything has to be tweaked perfect, [which the developer actually listed that this is an intermediate plane for start up.] It probably took me four or five attempts to actually manage the controls, gauge the chain of command without using a checklist and more advanced APU settings

This is also my favorite plane in my entire lineup, given it has a more dynamic learning curve for a challenge over the Airbus a320, but the 737 just feels more rewarding and authentic, but requires more of a learning commitment.

4K/HDR10—
B9BF9519-D481-4B6A-9837-EB98525F95CC.jpeg
7BA4F78E-6197-4A79-B5A7-1AA2BAD6930F.jpeg

Last edited:

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
How-To stream videos from macOS to Xbox Series S without installing a paid app?
Does Plex still work? I used that many years ago on Xbox One, and before that Connect 360 on Xbox 360. You will need to install some sort of app on Mac, to make your iTunes library show up as Windows Media, but they are generally cheap. Google will tell you for sure.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Just Purchased the Boeing 737 Max. By far, this is the most instrument sensitive plane that everything has to be tweaked perfect, [which the developer actually listed that this is an intermediate plane for start up.] It probably took me four or five attempts to actually manage the controls, gauge the chain of command without using a checklist and more advanced APU settings

This is also my favorite plane in my entire lineup, given it has a more dynamic learning curve for a challenge over the Airbus a320, but the 737 just feels more rewarding and authentic, but requires more of a learning commitment.

4K/HDR10—
View attachment 1856297 View attachment 1856298
The overhead panel gives me a headache. There are more buttons and switch gear on it than in the entire cockpit of other plans!

Yesterday I watched a video of the start up sequence of the Junker. Wow! It's also mad how there are no digital screens inside the cockpit. The same will be true for the concorde which I am extremely excited to buy as soon as it's available!

Overall I am kind myself and my MSFS progress. There can be a tendency to aim for acing every flight, landing and start-up and figuring everything yourself. However real pilots have access to teachers, learning materials and actually focus on learning one plane at a time.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
So I've had the XSX for a few weeks and I'm extremely glad I returned the XSS and waiting on the XSX. Half the storage alone is reason enough to go with the big dog of Xbox. Loving all the Game Pass games. I had enough MS points to get 3 months free and I'm already a third the way from getting another three months. I keep this up and I'll never pay for Game Pass.

If I have any gripes then it is:

1) The UI takes some getting used to. The always changing tiles is confusing.
2). Audio. I have a monitor with built in sound but I primarily use a headset when gaming. Problem is Xbox doesn't mute the sound to the TV/monitor for some odd reason. So I have to mute the sound myself. It is really too bad USB audio out isn't available. I have a really nice pair of Sony bluetooth headphones which would work fine with a bluetooth adapter. I had to buy a separate headset instead. Went with the SteelSeries Artis 9X. Sound pretty good, but not as good as the Sony.

Really, those are minor gripes and I've worked around them. I do wish MS would rethink the UI though.

Right now I am playing Psychonauts 2 and Halo MCC. I've downloaded FS, The Ascent, Forza Horizon 4 and a few other games. Most of which I won't play until I'm done with Far Cry 6. Too many games is a nice problem to have.

Reactions: Khalanad75

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
So I've had the XSX for a few weeks and I'm extremely glad I returned the XSS and waiting on the XSX. Half the storage alone is reason enough to go with the big dog of Xbox. Loving all the Game Pass games. I had enough MS points to get 3 months free and I'm already a third the way from getting another three months. I keep this up and I'll never pay for Game Pass.

If I have any gripes then it is:

1) The UI takes some getting used to. The always changing tiles is confusing.
2). Audio. I have a monitor with built in sound but I primarily use a headset when gaming. Problem is Xbox doesn't mute the sound to the TV/monitor for some odd reason. So I have to mute the sound myself. It is really too bad USB audio out isn't available. I have a really nice pair of Sony bluetooth headphones which would work fine with a bluetooth adapter. I had to buy a separate headset instead. Went with the SteelSeries Artis 9X. Sound pretty good, but not as good as the Sony.

Really, those are minor gripes and I've worked around them. I do wish MS would rethink the UI though.

Right now I am playing Psychonauts 2 and Halo MCC. I've downloaded FS, The Ascent, Forza Horizon 4 and a few other games. Most of which I won't play until I'm done with Far Cry 6. Too many games is a nice problem to have.
Yes. The UI totally sucks. However quick resume makes up for it.

As a product overall, the XSX is a superbly well thoughtout and engineered product. What it's missing is 1-2 flagship games that blows your mind by utilising all of.thr consoles power.

Visually, flight simulator, doom eternal and paychonauts 2 are most impressive games that I have played so far. Even then, they don't optimise gen gen. Too many games are currently simply XBO/PS4 graphics but with 10-15% higher resolution and 60fps.

I had high hopes that Halo infinite was going to usher us into next gen gaming, howeber it visually looks like a previous gen game.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Yes. The UI totally sucks. However quick resume makes up for it.

As a product overall, the XSX is a superbly well thoughtout and engineered product. What it's missing is 1-2 flagship games that blows your mind by utilising all of.thr consoles power.

Visually, flight simulator, doom eternal and paychonauts 2 are most impressive games that I have played so far. Even then, they don't optimise gen gen. Too many games are currently simply XBO/PS4 graphics but with 10-15% higher resolution and 60fps.

I had high hopes that Halo infinite was going to usher us into next gen gaming, howeber it visually looks like a previous gen game.

I've come to appreciate Quick Resume more than I anticipated. Nice being able to jump from Psychonauts 2 over to Forza and back without quoting either game.

Honestly, I'm pretty happy with the state of console gaming even if we don't see a major uptick in visuals. The upgrade to 60fps was key for me buying consoles this gen. XSS was a disappointment in that regard but XSX and PS5 games look pretty good to me.

Halo Infinite multiplayer seems to have received some excellent previews from their beta testing. It is the campaign that is the worry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.