iPhone XR XR looks like it has tint shift

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Oct 23, 2018.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

3. now i see it macrumors 68040

No previous generation of iPhone display ever did that crap. iPhone 8 plus display still is king of the hill.

4. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Considering this

upload_2018-10-23_21-7-38.jpeg

It might in fact not be a no brainer upgrade. Who knows

5. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

Who uses their phone shifted to the side? OLED does the color changing or bluing as some call it.

6. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I thought they all did that a long time ago. Oh well this will be interesting.

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Watch the Verge's review. They clarify. It's a no-brainer upgrade for iPhone 6s and 7 owners.

8. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G4

thadoggfather

But it looks markedly inferior in comparison imo

I’m not saying it’s not gonna be a great
    Phone or an Ok display. But ok display is not inspiring is all

It’s like SE screen or the 2018 iPad screen (imo) Just not up to snuff for cost

9. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

Maybe this phone just isn't for you! The bottom line is I'll be the judge of that for my own use and not the Verge or any other publication!

10. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Of course. My only
    Point is verge always talks up apple displays. And they are fanboys.

Maybe they got a weird unit which is possible

11. mprime_17 macrumors newbie

My 6 does that.

Never notice it before lol

So not an issue for me ;)

12. Garemlin Suspended

Garemlin

LCD panels are not known for the best off axis viewing. But seriously who looks at their phone from and angle?

No different than all the whining about the Pixel 2 XL and it's off axis blue shift.

13. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Sometimes wielding a device one hand you’re viewing at different angles. Or laying it on a surface to watch content

14. madKIR macrumors 6502a

It’s funny how it debunks the theory that everybody here has been running around with for a year that the shift was attributed to the OLED screen! LOL
    It looks like it’s the way Apple or, in this particular case, Samsung manufactures these rounded/notch screens.

15. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

Well I have never turned my screen to the level that you would need to turn this screen to even notice it. I think we have to be realistic here. Is this "REALLY" an issue? It's not "REALLY" an issue on OLED. Does it bother some users? Absolutely!

16. madKIR macrumors 6502a

Let’s not forget that this shift issue has various levels depending on a screen/phone. Last year I saw some disgusting X’s with such a severe case of it that it looked horrendous! Some screens would turn almost purple with even the slightest tilt.

17. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Who looks at there phone from an angle? Serious? You never sit on a couch and prop your phone on your belly and scroll down on text/internet LOL?

18. AppleB macrumors 6502a

AppleB

I’ll play:
    My Max has tint shift and I don’t give a shift.

19. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

This is what I am talking bout... Love the sense of humor! Amazing how seriously some folks get about this stuff. LOL

20. bleak7 macrumors member

bleak7

Amazing that people expect a nice screen when paying a considerable amount of cash. I mean it's outrageous, it's only the main thing that you see on a smartphone since you look at it all the time from all angles (having it on the bedside when you wake up, next to your keyboard when you work, on a counter when cooking, etc.). Ignorance is bliss.

21. NBAasDOGG macrumors 6502

NBAasDOGG

This whole blue-shift thing is the property of Pen-Tile OLED panels!
    You cannot change the laws of physics... but why its happening on the XR with its TFT-LCD, I have no idea :p

So you should give a shift and stay schwifty!

[​IMG]

22. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

What an interesting use case. I have never heard of someone doing this before. I have never done this and I think my phone would just slide off and fall in my lap if I tried. I guess my belly is not big enough for such use.

23. Mackinjosh Suspended

No one does. It's such an odd thing to care about on a phone or tablet. My iPad does the same thing, but I get around it by viewing it straight on like a normal human would. The blueshift on the max isn't an issue for me either. It was the other graphical issue that was making me ill, as well as the colors being oddly bright/cartoonish which was messing with my eyes, especially on games. Hopefully I can get over that because I doubt the future is going to be LCD.

The interesting thing is other reviewers said the opposite. We could have another screen lottery on our hands, which wouldn't be the first time that happened with Apple hardware.

24. sputnikBA macrumors 6502

The Xs & Max shift blue
    The Xr shifts pink

The grass won’t shift greener on either side.

25. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think the XR display will suit the consumer perfectly fine for what it’s worth. But I’m not sure that the Verge is _all_ ‘Apple fanboys’, considering the history with Nikki Patel.