Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

midnightdavid

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
I'd expect two models (like the iPhone 5) to support the various carriers and 4 colors we've seen. Only •one• size (probably 8gb; maybe 16gb) - the idea here was low cost, right? - so only 8 SKUs. Doesn't sound like a problem to me.

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Apple's going to have a SKU management situation like never before if they have a ton of colors. I'd imagine there will only be one or two storage options and wouldn't be surprised if there was an element of carrier independence (a la latest iphone 5 that works for t mobile and at&t LTE).

they never had sku management problem with iPods.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
SJ always said he nor apple cared about market share, that they were all about creating products they wanted to themselves use. With that in mind, I don't understand the iphone 5 compromise edition...

Well SJ, i.m.h.o, didn't told the truth then. Apple's behavior towards the patent wars makes it also kinda hard to believe :rolleyes: I've been using product ever since the Macintosh 7100 and knowing apple and their approach to the market also indicates that what SJ said is just simply not accurate to put it mildly ;)
It's all about mass production now, ST also considered to quite the Pro Line, why? Not because those where Apple worst computers, in reality they where Apple finest products even, they didn't sell good enough to the masses...

The list goes on to make SJ and Apple PR philosophy approach at least arbitrary.

I love Apple and their products, but I'm not naive thinking that Apple doesn't care about where they are standing in the market and where they are heading towards.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
why is this even a story. Hey apple, congrats on release the same exact phone except with a plastic colored back to it! BREAKING NEWS if you ask me.

How about making a bigger phone, something in the 4.5 to 4.7 range. Now that would be news

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Apple's going to have a SKU management situation like never before if they have a ton of colors. I'd imagine there will only be one or two storage options and wouldn't be surprised if there was an element of carrier independence (a la latest iphone 5 that works for t mobile and at&t LTE).

They do it with the iPod line with no issues. It's pretty easy...

What carrier? What color? What size?

mikeoui

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2011
Milwaukee, WI, USA
3G/3GS looks nicer.

I loved my 3G and never had any cracking issues. I'm looking forward to a return to plastic. Assuming its guts are at least that of the 5, which, according to some, is not going to be the case. I need an upgrade from my 4 but I just wouldn't be able to justify upgrading to a phone that was a 4S on the inside. And if it's a 4 on the inside...

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
SJ always said he nor apple cared about market share, that they were all about creating products they wanted to themselves use. With that in mind, I don't understand the iphone 5 compromise edition...

You really think that is true? If I was the head of a business I would say the same thing to generate interest in my products. Apple is a business. If selling a lower cost iPhone will bring in more customers than it would have before, I expect them to do so. Apple will see increased revenue from their software services (especially the App store). Also its very likely that someone who is happy with their lower cost iPhone buys another Apple product such as an iPad or even a computer. Not to mention this gets all iOS devices to have the same screen size/resolution/charging port. If you ask me, this is a great move for Apple

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
So much for "unibody".

Yeah. Least sexy Apple product video ever (I know it is not official).

Apple is gonna have to go silhouette style for the commercials, b/c this thing will not sell based on looks. None-the-less, I hope they only crippled its looks, not anything important. We don't need more fragmentation in iOS land.

:apple:

apfeljonas

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Germany

They had like 8 colors and 2 storage capacity options with the nano a while back...so it's manageable.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
At what point do the same photos/videos of colored plastic shells sop becoming newsworthy.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
So you hated the 3G and didn't buy one right?

I bought one and learned my mistake. Cracks, cracks, cracks galore! (it actually wasn't THAT bad for me... only around the speaker and mic grilles) And I treated my phone right, too.

And before the naysayers slam me, Apple lost a class action for denying warranty claims for this very reason...

bradgfromboo

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
Never again will apple make a cheap plastic ph.... oh wait..

Cheap Cheap Cheap Crap Crap Crap Plastic Plastic Plastic, would never buy plastic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.