Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LongWayHome

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Also with pointing out. I’ve noticed the 12 pm colors seem a bit dull and washes out. Any reason why? I don’t see this on my pro .....

Yes I do notice this on both the Pro Max and the Mini. The Mini is way worse but I notice it in both models compared to the 11 Pro Max.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Dark mode looks revolting on the 12 pro max, especially macrumors forum, Grey colors look like a combination of yellow and green. ?‍♂️

If apple doesn’t fix the screen issues with a software update, I’ll lose a lot of confidences in their products. Not right to ship a screen that displays colors incorrectly, especially a phone that cost $1849.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
How come macrumors never put a news story on their front page about yellow screens, it’s only 65 pages long. ?
Probably because the same thing happens every year and nothing comes from it. 65 pages of posts on here is a minuscule number compared to the tens of millions of iPhones sold. Sure, there are some that have a legitimate problem, but there are also many perfection seekers that muddy the waters. Not to mention the ones that read these threads and then think they might have a problem even though they can't see one. They take pictures of their screen and post them on here and ask others if their screen is OK.

Wayward

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
Looks like I got lucky. My iPhone 12 Pro Max has good screen with even uniformity and no tint (according to my eyes). I’ve had a few bad iPhone screens in the past, but I got a keeper this time.

ETA: serial starts with F2

tobiaskrautwald

Contributor
Oct 7, 2013
Munich, Germany
Dark mode looks revolting on the 12 pro max, especially macrumors forum, Grey colors look like a combination of yellow and green. ?‍♂️

If apple doesn’t fix the screen issues with a software update, I’ll lose a lot of confidences in their products. Not right to ship a screen that displays colors incorrectly, especially a phone that cost $1849.
pictures below from left to right 12 Pro Max, 12 Pro Max, 11 Pro Max, 11 Pro
no True Tone, no Night Shift, auto brightness off

first pic at 0% brightness, second pic at 50% brightness.
(camera is set to 6500K whitepoint, auto exposure)

at 0% brightness both 12 pro max show a greenish tint the darker the grey gets...

very annoying when using the phone in dark mode at night at very low brightness.

_DSC0633.JPG

_DSC0637.JPG

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020

at 0% brightness both 12 pro max show a greenish tint the darker the grey gets...

very annoying when using the phone in dark mode at night at very low brightness.

View attachment 1669096
View attachment 1669097
Makes you think why apple would pick this panel for their pro model phones.

Even dxomark wasn’t impressed with the pro model screens.

58301844-E4F6-4657-A511-A7BB4C33DF85.jpeg

PlaneCrazy23

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
I have the same yellow tint problem with my iPhone 12 Pro Max Pacific Blue 512gb, the photos, videos and everything else looks dull and yellowish, adjusting the colour filter is a lacklustre workaround the first four digits of my serial number are G0ND, now I am not sure whether to hold on to it and wait for a software update to fix it or return it
It’s not a software issue, it’s a hardware issue. Unfortunately, this happens every year, with every iPhone model. You’re correct, “Color Filters” is only a work around; it’s intent is to assist people with vision/color blindness issues.

Reactions: theliellama

Kent viggo

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2019
Sweden
I’m just waiting for the whistle blower and class action lawsuit that Apple purposefully ignores standard quality control measures to have enough units for launch. This was my first OLEF experience ever and all I have to say is my disappointment is immeasurable. If this isn’t fixed with a software update soon I’m never buying an apple product again

Seems to be really bad this year. Mabye COVID has strained to supply chain to such a degree that they had no choice but to release all these bad screens.

Im waiting for my second pro to arrive 3 Dec. Hope the next batch of phones has been adjusted, but I’m not really optimistic.

Reactions: Nareksisisosu

Daiken

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Go myself and iphone 12 PM on the release date.

Been with android since after iphone 7 and going back to ios now.

I'm happy with everything on the phone except the screen. The screen does seems to have a bit yellowish and I don't seem to be alone about this.

My wife is using the iphone 11 (normal one) and her screen seems a little less blue without true tone and a little less yellow with the true tone on.

So, with that said, my 12 PM does seems more yellowish and i might be able to live with it.. but shelling out around 1300$ (where i live) for a phone and not get a 100% satisfied product seems a little unjustified.

I love everything else (still need to get back using ios but that is not an issue). Just the screen... what has been seen cannot be unseen.. still have time to get apple care since it's a 60 day time limit on that one.

But i will probably go back to the store and compare my phone with the ones in store. if it does show more yellowish i might keep mine and get the apple care for later on. or maybe just stick with the 1 year warranty. not sure yet what to do.

Edit: My serial start with G0PD as well.

Reactions: LFC2020

Axam

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
If you post serial number, please include first 5 letter/digits. 1-3 is factory, 4-5 is production week. Without 5th letter impossible to find production week.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Damn it... i think my Mini is affected too.
I noticed it early on, that it was a bit more yellow, but i thought i would get used to it.
Then i turned off TT, which made it a bit better. (But i'm used to having it on)
But still my eyes can't get used to it.

And while the whites are the easiest to compare, it's every color that seems a bit off because of it.

Have always been lucky so far... guess this had to happen eventually :(

• Haha

Sparkle148

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
iPhone 12 Pro Max here bought in the U.K. G6TDK.

I’m on the same boat as others with a previous iPhone X, after comparing it I cannot unsee it. I noticed it and compared before reading about it, so the screen is most definitely warmer. That said, I seem to be noticing it less and less.

I wonder whether these are defective screens or Apple decided on making them warmer this year, or at least warmer compared to an iPhone X, to save the blue pixels a bit and reduce battery drain. I’m inclined towards the latter, since nobody as reported having perfect whites with any of the iPhones released this year.

Reactions: labellecabresse

bluepr0

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
Spain
I wonder whether these are defective screens or Apple decided on making them warmer this year, or at least warmer compared to an iPhone X, to save the blue pixels a bit and reduce battery drain. I’m inclined towards the latter, since nobody as reported having perfect whites with any of the iPhones released this year.
Yes exactly, I thinking on the same. It doesn't seem like a defect but like an intended change. Otherwise there will be people with "good" screens

Sal09

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom

View attachment 1669096
View attachment 1669097
Hi,

If you dont mind can you please send me link to that wallpaper.

Thanks
Sal

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I originally wanted to get the "white" 12 mini, thinking I wouldn't have to worry about color chipping off the metal sides (I know it's anodised not painted, but I've seen many a space grey iPhone with shiny silver spots where worn). Ended up not getting it because the white ones have quite the yellow tint on the back glass and also a little bit on the metal band, just a hint of yellow tint overall.

Now it feels like that yellow tint is deliberate to match the screen...

I do like night mode at night but I want my whites to be whites. My Apple Watch Series 5 shows nice pure white, so does every other screen I hold my iPhone 12 next to.

It looks worse in the picture (probably because of a filter in the camera sensor and different display tech) but here's my 12 mini compared to my MacBook Air 2017. Tried different brightnesses, makes no difference.

Attachments

• yellow iPhone.jpg
    yellow iPhone.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: LFC2020

PlaneCrazy23

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
Yes exactly, I thinking on the same. It doesn't seem like a defect but like an intended change. Otherwise there will be people with "good" screens
I, too, have been plagued with numerous generations of iPhone yellow screen; some generations were perfect while some were not. However, like I posted other times during this thread, my iPhone 12 Regular has a near flawless, cool, bright white, vibrant screen. I’ve compared it to numerous in-store display units as well as an Express Replacement.
Don’t convince yourself that the “screens are warmer this year” just because you are only seeing people in this thread that, unfortunately, received a subpar unit. Millions of screens are the cool, vibrant, color shiftless units such as mine.
I’m simply telling you this, so you don’t have the wool pulled over your eyes. In years past, I’ve played the screen lottery to the hilt; I know it’s a struggle.
But, please, don’t accept something you are unhappy with. Good money has been paid for something not to be as expected.

bluepr0

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
Spain
I, too, have been plagued with numerous generations of iPhone yellow screen; some generations were perfect while some were not. However, like I posted other times during this thread, my iPhone 12 Regular has a near flawless, cool, bright white, vibrant screen. I’ve compared it to numerous in-store display units as well as an Express Replacement.
Don’t convince yourself that the “screens are warmer this year” just because you are only seeing people in this thread that, unfortunately, received a subpar unit. Millions of screens are the cool, vibrant, color shiftless units such as mine.
I’m simply telling you this, so you don’t have the wool pulled over your eyes. In years past, I’ve played the screen lottery to the hilt; I know it’s a struggle.
But, please, don’t accept something you are unhappy with. Good money has been paid for something not to be as expected.
Thank you, I will request a replacement!

• Haha

Sparkle148

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
Do you have another iPhone you can compare it to? If so can you post some pictures comparing both? Thank you.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Hmmm, setting a color tint in the accessibility settings helps somewhat, but even on minimum intensity and color set to a deep blue, it's still a bit too much. Colors pop now though.
I wonder if it uses up battery and if it just shifts the original color grade or just slaps another filter on top.

malevolant

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Boston, MA
Anyone's Maxes having issues with the other end of the spectrum and hav "cool" blue colors at the lowest brightness? My phone screen has a blue tint at the lowest brightness level

Sim-1

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2020
Guys, I received my 3rd unit: this time it's a 512GB Gold Pro Max - for the wife. Same problem as the other 2. Screen not good, colors are less vibrant than on our 11 Pro Max. Serial number is: G6TDM0
So 3 out 3 are bad so far. Unfortunately it's not as evident in the pics below as it is in real life.

Attachments

• IMG_1350.jpg
    IMG_1350.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_6450.JPG
    IMG_6450.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6451.JPG
    IMG_6451.JPG
    476.4 KB · Views: 127
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.