Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlaneCrazy23

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
Do you have another iPhone you can compare it to? If so can you post some pictures comparing both? Thank you.
Unfortunately, I do not. I’m really sorry as I know that would be very helpful. I got rid of my iP11Pro the same day I received my iP12. My 11Pro had a very dull, greenish hue to it even after a couple Express Replacements. And, between my wife and I, I’m the only one with a 12th generation.
For what it’s worth, my brain is very OCD when it comes to tech displays. I can spot a warmer display the second the Apple logo appears upon startup.
I know the disappointment. Do what you have to do in order to be satisfied.

• Haha
Reactions: theliellama

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Guys, I received my 3rd unit: this time it's a 512GB Gold Pro Max - for the wife. Same problem as the other 2. Screen not good, colors are less vibrant than on our 11 Pro Max. Serial number is: G6TDM0
So 3 out 3 are bad so far. Unfortunately it's not as evident in the pics below as it is in real life.

Damn, that's a bad success rate.. really discouraging...

I'm so afraid to ordering another one and it's gonna be bad again... eventually Apple might block me from ordering another one lol (because i already returned the Pro and switched to the Mini)

Reactions: gpoop

jlevy73

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
After several years of some bad screens, this time I got a good one. Almost no off axis color shift, screen color is pretty much spot on. Serial number is F2LDN

Reactions: PlaneCrazy23

Sparkle148

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
After several years of some bad screens, this time I got a good one. Almost no off axis color shift, screen color is pretty much spot on. Serial number is F2LDN
Any chance you can post some pictures comparing your 12 screen with one of the previous iPhones? Thank you.

Reactions: bluepr0

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Dark mode looks revolting on the 12 pro max, especially macrumors forum, Grey colors look like a combination of yellow and green. ?‍♂️

If apple doesn’t fix the screen issues with a software update, I’ll lose a lot of confidences in their products. Not right to ship a screen that displays colors incorrectly, especially a phone that cost $1849.
So not using dark mode is better for contrast?

Reactions: LFC2020

skrungemaster

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2020
Here’s what I’m seeing compared to my 8 Plus. It looks really bad...

Attachments

• D1613B7E-3B4E-46F7-BF49-7C4E0E62ABE4.jpeg
    D1613B7E-3B4E-46F7-BF49-7C4E0E62ABE4.jpeg
    264.3 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: Erw88 and LFC2020

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Here’s what I’m seeing compared to my 8 Plus. It looks really bad...

Same here, mine is so bad that I have resorted to just using dark mode 24/7 because I couldn't stand it any more..... Is it even worth returning for a new one right now? I'm afraid of just getting the same thing again... and I don't want to waste my time going through return after return after return..... I am thinking of just waiting a while and getting a screen replacement

Jkeith85

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2015
How long do we have to return or exchange the phone? My 12PM screen is yellow as heck, my 11PM is flawless.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I wonder if there is some break in period. Because I feel mine is getting better and better and I don't think I am just getting used to it. I am regulary switching between 5 other devices. Also using true tone was so yellow at the beginning it looked like coffee stained and unbearable. I did try reset all settings, since I read that somewhere, that it was one of the things to try. Didn't seem to make a difference right away, but maybe have done something or it is the standard background image which is fooling me. I have also been pushing full brightness a bit, because I noticed that all the model on display I compared to (which also had better displays) was in an invironment where they where on maximum brightness (or it is just part of demo-mode to impress customers).

Hope my impression last.

Ancaster

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
Question for people doing color filters. Does this make the screen “blurrier?”
I know people said it changes contrast but does that make text less crisp?

i tried turning it on and off and I notice text looks the same crispness wise but it does make other colors look off.
I find Color Filters works well, mainly adjusting Color Tint. I used the WHITE editing background in Adobe Lightroom on my X-Rite calibrated monitor as reference. On the phone, sliding HUE before I see pink, then INTENSITY to remove any remaining yellow before it goes blue. I fine tune both sliders until I'm satisfied the whites match at varying brightness. I then examined single color gradients on both to see if there were any bad shifts. While the phone has lost a bit of contrast itself, the contrast/black levels are still superior to my non OLED displays, and the colors match to me. I'm satisfied white balance is neutral but I would not put up with raised blacks as I have no idea how a user can tweak that properly. How do the colors look off to you?

prosive

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
If you bought recently, I think you have till end of December. If you bough around launch day you have 2 weeks.
Not sure how accurate this is or not, but if I go into the Apple store app and hit start return on my order for iPhone 12 Pro Max it says I have until January 8th to start a return. This was a 12 PM preorder for reference.

ghosttrooper

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2017
I just spoke with Apple support. They advised they are aware of the issue, are doing an investigation; will call me to add mine to it.
I have a call back this week about the issue so I’ll be curious if they say this as well. Even their own forum has quite a bit of people posting about this.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I find Color Filters works well, mainly adjusting Color Tint. I used the WHITE editing background in Adobe Lightroom on my X-Rite calibrated monitor as reference. On the phone, sliding HUE before I see pink, then INTENSITY to remove any remaining yellow before it goes blue. I fine tune both sliders until I'm satisfied the whites match at varying brightness. I then examined single color gradients on both to see if there were any bad shifts. While the phone has lost a bit of contrast itself, the contrast/black levels are still superior to my non OLED displays, and the colors match to me. I'm satisfied white balance is neutral but I would not put up with raised blacks as I have no idea how a user can tweak that properly. How do the colors look off to you?
I havent noticed any difference. Ive just seen post complaining about it. When you say contrast is reduced, does that have anything to do with text looking not as crisp?

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Can confirm Apple is aware of this. Im currently working with Executive Relations who are allowing me retail model replacements and she said they are aware of this and currently investigating.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Can confirm Apple is aware of this. Im currently working with Executive Relations who are allowing me retail model replacements and she said they are aware of this and currently investigating.
Maybe Apple is going to do something about this for once.

RamJetWorm

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Guys, all these yellow screens, it's just Apple discontinuing hardware like they've done in the past:

1998 The floppy disk
2008 CD/DVD drive
2016 The headphone jack....
...2020 The colour blue. ;)

prosive

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
I just spoke with Apple support. They advised they are aware of the issue, are doing an investigation; will call me to add mine to it.
Could you share with us how you called and reported it / got on the list so the rest of us can do the same?

Jkeith85

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2015
Interesting. Please keep us posted here as to the developments.
They seem to think it is a software issue. I also believe this. Sent in diagnostics, in touch with senior support, they are forwarding it to engineering. They will have something within 5 business days. They advised they dont feel a replacement or repair would fix this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.