Yes, the 2018 MacBook Air's FaceTime HD Camera is Awful

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Daiching macrumors newbie

Sorry that I have misidentified the photos. What I said are the photos of the top post which was issued by macrumours. It had a light source directly behind his head.

I admitted that the photo quality from the older machines is better than the photo from the new 2018 model. Apple should have to take a look at the problems of their FaceTime camera on MacBook.

But what I really mean in my first reply to this post is the reason why Apply is still keeping the FaceTime camera at a low resolution 720p.

2. k0bayashi macrumors member

Correct.

3. sudaltsov macrumors newbie

sudaltsov

Finally we are on the same page, thank you

4. maclinic macrumors newbie

Well yes, that is possible. If the software needs fixing, that is a technical problem...

5. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

If you think this is bad you haven’t seen 2015 Retina MacBook’s camera. That thing isn’t even HD and doesn’t have backlight. It’s the definition of crap.

6. maclinic macrumors newbie

Is that outdoors? That maybe the only time the camera performs OK. With normal interior lighting which always looked good on every phone and computer I have ever used, my new macbook air 2018, with Facetime VIDEO, looks embarrassingly awful.

7. sudaltsov macrumors newbie

sudaltsov

It depends on what 'it' is. Switching between resolutions - yes, absolutely, noone would doubt. The color noise - you have nor proved anything about it yet so far.

8. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

It's the camera. It's a piece of junk. To be fair, the camera in any Mac has always been quite poor, but they always seem to be of an even lower standard in the Air.

9. tipoo macrumors 6502

The new Air just seems so awkwardly positioned to me. Only 100USD separates it from the nontouchbar Pro.

That 100USD gets you
    A P3 gamut
    200 more nits of screen brightness
    20% faster CPU
    50+% faster GPU
    Better speakers
    And a better webcam

All while the size and battery life are close enough.

Had it been 250 dollars cheaper than the Pro (XR-XS gap), then it would have a right to exist. But at 100USD, I'd advise anyone going for an Air to make the upgrade.

10. sudaltsov macrumors newbie

sudaltsov

11. Bodycalming, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019

Bodycalming macrumors member

Bodycalming

Looks like Apple have killed the tread on MacBook Air 2018 (A1932) Camera issue, and yes Apple it is an issue and it's time you acknowledge it! I returned my first MacBook and Monday Jan 7, got a replacement, returned the replacement on Wednesday Jan 9, got a full refund.

12. sudaltsov macrumors newbie

sudaltsov

Perhaps creating Facebook page with all information, photos, links to media etc would make sense... At least Apple would not be able to delete it so easily.

13. Ruskes, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019

Ruskes macrumors newbie

Thank you for approving my findings so far.
    Do you have any findings on your own to contribute.
    Everyone can see the result, but what is causing it ?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2019 ---
    We should all do that (Get it -> Return it), it is the best way to get a message to Apple. Using the 14 Days your money back policy.

14. Ruskes macrumors newbie

You mean on this..
    Metal 2 provides near-direct access to the graphics processing unit (GPU), enabling you to maximize the graphics and compute potential of your apps on iOS, macOS, and tvOS. Building on an efficient low-overhead architecture with precompiled shaders, fine-grained resource control, and multithreading support, Metal 2 evolves to give the GPU even greater control of its graphics pipeline, accelerate neural network training, and provide powerful new tools that give deep insight into your shader code.

15. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

And it also punishes retail employees for something they have nothing to do with. Don’t like it, don’t buy it.

16. Ruskes macrumors newbie

Punishes whom ? they have nothing to do with Apple quality, but they are a strong voice with Apple, when reporting all returned Macs.

17. sudaltsov macrumors newbie

sudaltsov

If some retailer would think twice before renewing contract with Apple... wouldn't that be the right thing?

PS I hope we are here not to bring Apple down, hehe. But to make them listen and respond properly...

18. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

I take it you’ve never worked in retail.

I meant the people working the cash registers and stocking the items.

19. kshnurov macrumors newbie

kshnurov

I've just received a confirmation from Apple that they know about the quality difference between new and old Airs and "this is correct behavior of the device".
    They recommended sending more feedback through https://www.apple.com/feedback/, but I guess it will stay "You're holding it wrong" (tm) unless someone will file a lawsuit.

Here's a MacBook Air 2018 on the left and a MacBook Air 2015 on the right. 1 light source is right in front of me and 1 is behind.
    MBA 2018.jpg MBA 2015.jpg

20. Ruskes macrumors newbie

G
    Great job with the info (even if it is not what we want to hear).
    Did you use Facetime.app to make the photos or something else.
    May I also assume you have Mojave on both Mac's ?
    The left is defiantly not as specified in Apple specs, and that might become a problem for them in a legal case.
    If you like to know some actual numbers, use this website (not with Safari it does not work well) and it will tell you the camera performance.
    Google "Webcam Test" and run the test, then also run the Detect Resolution on both Mac's. Now you will be armed with Data and Facts for things to come.

21. kshnurov macrumors newbie

kshnurov

It's Mojave and PhotoBooth. Both shows 720p, but different bitrate and number of colors:

2018:
    Webcam Name: FaceTime HD Camera
    Quality Rating: 866
    Built-in Microphone: None
    Built-in Speaker: None
    Frame rate: 30 FPS
    Stream Type: video
    Image Mode: rgb
    Webcam MegaPixels: 0.92 MP
    Webcam Resolution: 1280×720
    Video Standard: HD
    Aspect Ratio: 1.78
    PNG File Size: 1 MB
    JPEG File Size: 597.46 kB
    Bitrate: 17.5 MB/s
    Number of Colors: 67909
    Average RGB Color:
    Lightness: 38.24%
    Luminosity: 38.27%
    Brightness: 37.91%
    Hue: 24°
    Saturation: 13.85%

2015:
    Webcam Name: FaceTime HD Camera
    Quality Rating: 1384
    Built-in Microphone: None
    Built-in Speaker: None
    Frame rate: 30 FPS
    Stream Type: video
    Image Mode: rgb
    Webcam MegaPixels: 0.92 MP
    Webcam Resolution: 1280×720
    Video Standard: HD
    Aspect Ratio: 1.78
    PNG File Size: 1.53 MB
    JPEG File Size: 899.52 kB
    Bitrate: 26.35 MB/s
    Number of Colors: 156678
    Average RGB Color:
    Lightness: 49.02%
    Luminosity: 47.70%
    Brightness: 48.10%
    Hue: 13°
    Saturation: 9.60%

22. Ruskes, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019

Ruskes macrumors newbie

Excellent work,
    so this says there are about the same (HD) hardware. But it does not look like that when viewing in your screen using the same Apple App like Facetime app and in same OSX?

However they should look the same when using Quick Time Movie recording. The QT uses highest possible resolution from the camera, not so the Facetime app (adjusted by Software).

The combination of Bitrate and Illumination will result in number of colors and file size. Those numbers are for some reason lower on the 2018 Mac ?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 17, 2019 ---
    Comparing Quick Time and Photo Boot (on same Mac) using Quick Time Movie Inspector.
    Note the Photo Boot runs at lover values as preset by Apple. Conclusion, same hardware different drivers.
    upload_2019-1-17_14-3-26.png upload_2019-1-17_14-3-48.png

23. sudaltsov macrumors newbie

sudaltsov

They won't look the same. And the most amazing thing is that you still are not getting it (well, 2nd most amazing, after Apple's attitude). Even though QT will record on both machines as 720p.

24. Bodycalming, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019

Bodycalming macrumors member

Bodycalming

View attachment 816216 View attachment 816217

My guess is Apple should by now have all the feed back they would ever need....
    anyway if you need to, here is the link again... https://www.apple.com/feedback/

For me as previously stated... I returned my first MacBook and Monday Jan 7, got a replacement, returned the replacement on Wednesday Jan 9, got a full refund.

Put this 8627217? into your search engine, it will take you here

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8627217? (Well worth doing the search first to see the description)

Please don't get me wrong I really enjoyed using the 2018 MacBook Air, what with the T2 chip and Touch ID, so much so I went out and purchased, a soft carry case and a hard protection case for it before I used the FaceTime/Photo Booth camera.

Sorry Apple your 2018 MacBook Air is well below what Apple was once was

PS: Still waiting for an Email response from tcook (True).

Attached Files:

25. Ruskes macrumors newbie

Thank you for the very helpful information you provided. Waiting to see your QT results, supporting your statement