You can still save 4.0 SHSH blobs for a limited time

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by moussekateer, Jul 15, 2010.

1. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

The 4.0.1 firmware is out now, but Apple is STILL signing 4.0 for a LIMITED time. If you have not got 4.0 on file then now is the time to do so. This may only last for a few more minutes, or hours at the most.

And as a side note, if you are dependent on an iPhone 4 unlock DO NOT upgrade to 4.0.1 until we know whether it contains a baseband update or not. Jailbreakers don't have much to worry about as long as they have 4.0 on file.

Edit: Confirmed still open http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

2. g8orballboy macrumors regular

Ok, was planning on jailbreaking my ip4, but didn't know we needed to backup blobs first...

2 questions...

A) i don't have my iphone with me at work right now, can i still back up the blobs straight from itunes?

B) What the heck is a blob and how do i back it up?? :p (sorry, i'm a noob at this)

3. moussekateer thread starter macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Unfortunately you need your phone with you to save the SHSH blobs. If you did you would use Tinyumbrella, found here, to save them. The SHSH blobs are 'keys' you use to be able to freely downgrade your phone to an earlier firmware (Apple only allows you to install the latest firmware). But the window for getting them is closing soon so you may be out of luck. The best thing to do is not to update to 4.0.1 when you get your phone until the jailbreak comes out. It may turn out no one will need their 4.0 blobs. Oh and if you want to unlock your phone then DO NOT even go near the update button.

4. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Just run the program and backup. You need your iPhone connected to the computer.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Everyone needs to hurry.
    Doors will shut soon probably.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I have just confirmed that it is still possible to download from Apple's server. Get them while you can, folks!

7. g8orballboy macrumors regular

Dang it... and i'm stuck here at work without my phone :(

Does this mean i can't jailbreak at all??? or only if the dev team doesn't come out with a break for 4.0.1? and how likely is that?

8. moussekateer thread starter macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

You should be fine. It seems like the only change in 4.0.1 is the signal strength visual change. The exploit the dev team is using is 99% still present. The jailbreak released will probably work for both 4.0.1 and 4.0 phones. To be safe though don't update until the jailbreak is released.

9. littleluna macrumors member

Thank you so much for posting guys! I was able to save it directly through Apple, as well. Phew! :D

10. odyssey924 macrumors regular

The "Save my SHSH" button is greyed out for me. On Mac using version 4.00.80 on an iPhone 4. Any ideas?

11. moussekateer thread starter macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Are you sure it's recognizing the phone as being connected?

12. odyssey924 macrumors regular

It's listed as the iDevice with the serial number. I used the method of putting in restore mode by holding the Home button while connecting to the USB cable. Should I use the DFU mode where you hold the power button and Home button together?

13. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Worked for me using both Apple and Cydia options. Cydia took forever because it kept saying the server was overloaded but it finally worked. I now have two shsh files on my hard drive, one is a .bak file though (since I guess the Cydia method couldn't replace the first one). This was about 20 mins ago.

14. odyssey924 macrumors regular

I think I got it. Apparently the crappy tutorial I read was wrong as it said to have it in recovery mode. It just worked OUT of recovery mode.

15. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I'm having trouble with the latest umbrella. I launch the app and it ask me for my admin password. I enter it but it keeps asking me for the pw again.

16. gimmeaipod macrumors member

I ran usbview and the EDIC it showed me is different from the EDIC that TinyUmbrella detected. I changed the EDIC in TinyUmbrella to the one from usbview then saved the shsh blobs from both Apple and Cydia. The .shsh files that were saved have the EDIC in the file name from TinyUmbrella and not the one from usbview. Is this ok??

nevermind. they are the same, it is just the hex version

17. zoeconner macrumors regular

Just now saved to apple and cydia. And why did I just do this. When will I use it?

18. kjaxplicit24 macrumors regular

19. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Did mine and my gf's last night. Had 1 laying around but didn't get to it til now...hope it works!

20. Flavin macrumors newbie

Still working. I did it twice just to make sure

21. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

22. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

just saved my blobs. hurry before the window is completely shut down.

Attached Files:

23. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

i had the same prob with the admin pw constantly asking....i closed the app, copied it to my desktop..opened it, all good.

24. DN7335 macrumors 6502

I went through the same thing until I actually read the readme file. It specifically states to not run Umbrella from the DMG, copy it out to your desktop first. Once I did this it only asked me once for my password then worked like a champ.