"You don't have a Grocery List"

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by achappy, Aug 14, 2018.

1. achappy macrumors member

achappy

My wife and I have Apple Watches (she an S2 me an S3 but had an S2) and my wife and I have a shared Reminders List "Grocery". For the past few years we've been able to consistently say "Hey Siri, add <item> to my Grocery List" on the watch with NO issues. It worked flawlessly.

Then about 2 weeks ago mine started behaving weirdly. All of a sudden, Siri responds with "You don't have a Grocery List, do you want me to create it on the iPhone?". If I say "Continue on iPhone", it's created on the iPhone. But here's the strange part. If I say on the watch "Hey Siri, what's on my Grocery List?", it responds with my list so it obviously knows it's there. :(

Now I thought it was because maybe I was on iOS12 but then just now my wife (iOS 11.4.1) is having the same issue? I thought maybe it was because it's a shared list but then she created a new one on her phone and tried to use Siri and got the same results. I've tried restarting both phone and watch and "Resetting Sync" data. I've done a few Google Searches and the only responses seem to be "it went away on its own".

2. Tdadlani macrumors regular

Tdadlani

I’m having the same exact issue. And yes with a shared grocery list.

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Have it too on a non shared list running iOS12/wOS4.x. Must be an iOS12 bug.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I still use this feature and it still works for me.

5. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Yea, I use it often too and miss it. Hope Apple gets it back in the next build.

6. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I just got an idea to use a shared grocery list. Thanks OP.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Sometimes one step ahead is really a couple steps back.

8. HeathH macrumors regular

So odd, I was using this all the time and just yesterday I got the exact same error. Not sure when it stopped working because lately have almost always been adding items using Siri on the HomePod. Also exact same scenario, shared grocery list.

9. gsucyclist macrumors regular

gsucyclist

The same thing happens to me. I think mine started when I installed the iOS 12 beta. I use it in conjunction with the Anylist app and its quite annoying

10. iamasmith, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018

iamasmith macrumors 6502

iamasmith

I'd already been using Shared Notes, and hadn't tried this because my Mrs had got used to it and she doesn't like changing stuff like this around, but man this is awesome - definitely switching to Reminder based lists now!

We tend to say 'Shopping List' here so I used that and then realised that you can maintain any lists that you like with this feature.. Hey Siri, add 'voice query' to my Wish list! (you can't ask 'is Rice on my Shopping List?' which would be really cool when using HomePod)

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Guess I spoke too soon as when I now ask Siri to add something to the grocery list it now says I do not have one but says they will set up on my phone. Even after setting it up again it says it can not find it. WTF!

The was one of the nicest features i enjoyed on my watch and now that is gone. WTF Apple do you test anything before it is released???

12. achappy thread starter macrumors member

achappy

I suggest we all submit bugs (I just did for iOS12). I'm not sure if it's an iOS12 thing or possibly an iOS12 Cloud issue (i.e. for example you can't sync data from iBooks iOS11 to iOS12).

Figured submit the bug and let them figure it out :)

13. PeteS1963 macrumors regular

It happens to me on my Apple Watch Series 3. I’m on iOS11 so it’s not just an iOS12 issue.

14. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Good????? to know. Misery loves company.:eek::D

15. mk313 macrumors 6502a

16. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

This sounds like it may be more a server side thing than an iOS 12 thing.

17. achappy thread starter macrumors member

achappy

Just confirmed the issue with my mom and she's on watchOS 4.3.2 and iOS11 so it's not a iOS12 issue. Definitely must be server side.

18. HeathH macrumors regular

iOS 11.4.1 and watchos 4.3 here and have the bug. Looks server related for sure.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Now I have to use Siri on the phone to add items to my grocery list!

20. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

This is exactly why I keep preaching that Apple needs to make Siri a SINGLE user app across all devices and not a collection of different apps. I'm sick of dealing with 6 different and separate Siris that don't know about each other. ONE Siri that knows and does all no matter which device you are using.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I thought Apple was working on Siri improvements. All I can see is their competitors helper pulling away and leaving Siri in the dust. You would think Apple would be working very hard on this!

22. actcyclist macrumors regular

actcyclist

I had a similar problem with my "shopping" list on my Homepod a few days ago but it went back to normal

23. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

Pumped to add this to my phone. Bummed to find out it doesn't work from my watch either. Fingers crossed it does eventually.

24. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

It has to do with which Siri server you hit. If you just wait a bit, or restart devices it will work again. Sometimes if you update your list by hand it can kick start the recognition of a reminders list. Apple Watch for reminders is awesome. It fails once in awhile, hopefully the reliability continues to get better.

And yes, shared reminders lists are awesome!

25. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have rebooted both watch and phone multiple times. Still have to use Siri on my phone to add items.

All the Siri on my watch does is offer to set up the grocery list on my iPhone. Needless to say the “Grocery List” is already set up. A bit disappointing but not a huge issue, just was so convenient