Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I don't want to state the obvious, but I am forced to.

Didn't you know about this when you bought the 7? There were 100s of threads on the subject. Of course, the design is like 4 years old now.

We are all grown-ups and I would like to think we can decide how to spend our money without blaming someone else (Apple in this case).

We have the ultimate decision power - we decide where to spend our money.

Something is not good? Don't buy it...

(For the record, I am on a 4 year old iPhone 6).

"Vote with your wallet"? Problem with that is other people have more votes and aren't as informed. What is wrong with a 101 threads to help people make more informed buying decisions.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Some people out there hate cases and buy based on design and not what's inside the device.
It's a foreign thought to those who use cases but we do exist (people who hate cases and buy based on design).

So that means I can put the internals of an old Nokia in a sleek designed new case that looks futurist and and you will purchase it for $650? :D
The pros are the battery will last over a week and you'll have snake as an app to play with along with calls at texts :D
3-3310.jpg

Reactions: eyoungren

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Some people out there hate cases and buy based on design and not what's inside the device.

It's a foreign thought to those who use cases but we do exist (people who hate cases and buy based on design).

I appreciate the way the iPhone feels in my hand caseless. It has a nice adjustment To my hand. Cases deprive me of appreciating the physical design and aesthetics. Why even consider a iPhone color in some respects, if you put a case on it, which hides the color to begin with. Of course, it's just my opinion and everyone differs. I do understand cases serve purposes for other obvious reasons.

Reactions: eyoungren

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I don't feel cheated but I'm slightly annoyed at the Intel/Qualcomm fiasco. I feel like since I've got the Intel version, I'll never be able to sell it or I'll have to take a greater loss.

This wasn't a big deal as I planned to stay with T-Mobile until I learned my fiancee and I may need to move. The place where he wants to go doesn't have good service for them.

So I might be in a weird predicament this time. Bah.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I don't feel cheated but I'm slightly annoyed at the Intel/Qualcomm fiasco. I feel like since I've got the Intel version, I'll never be able to sell it or I'll have to take a greater loss.

This wasn't a big deal as I planned to stay with T-Mobile until I learned my fiancee and I may need to move. The place where he wants to go doesn't have good service for them.

So I might be in a weird predicament this time. Bah.

I dont think you'll have a problem selling it and you will not take a loss. An unlocked GSM iPhone is great even though it will not work on 2 US carriers.
You gotta remember before the iphone 6 and 6S all iphones sold in the US were always different hardware and incompatible with CDMA networks so this is nothing new.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Well they have to compete with Huawei's Porche Mate 9 model which costs over $1200 right now. :p Besides, it's Apple they're all about money. It's no longer a shock to expect a price hike from them.

So many have already stated the obvious: OP sell your 7+. Going forward, you might consider buying the 128gb model if you're upgrading every year.

For me, I had constant hardware/software issues no matter what model I purchased and that ultimately lead to my walking away. In hindsight I should have gone with an SE, but hey, live and learn.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I don't know if the three-year-redesign cycle is going to become the norm for Apple, but if it is, I feel like you're best off by buying into a redesign the first year it happens, then keeping that phone until the next redesign. I personally don't feel that I get $800 worth out of a phone after just one year. Many of you will beg to differ. If you like to upgrade every year, then that's fine. Do what suits you.

I personally can't justify an upgrade every year. The next iPhone MIGHT be worth $1000 if it still functions fast after three years (like most iPhones). Though I personally still wouldn't drop $1000+ on it regardless.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Besides, it's Apple they're all about money.
That is the truth. Apple has good customer service and they often place the customer first, but ultimately it's always about the money.

I've never minded simply because I frequently get my money's worth. My main laptop is a 2003 PowerBook and I am currently typing this on a 2006 MBP. My iPhone 5 is going strong still and my 6s+ will be two years old in about seven months.

As long as Apple maintains this reliability I won't have an issue paying - with one exception. If Apple wants to start their pricing at $1000 for the lowest capacity device then I will probably stick with my current device or look elsewhere.

I buy for looks but there are other manufacturers out there with capable devices for my usage.

Reactions: kazmac

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I dont think you'll have a problem selling it and you will not take a loss. An unlocked GSM iPhone is great even though it will not work on 2 US carriers.
You gotta remember before the iphone 6 and 6S all iphones sold in the US were always different hardware and incompatible with CDMA networks so this is nothing new.

I do hope you are right. Do you think the fact that mine is 256GB and jet black will help at all if I need to sell it?

Reactions: Applejuiced

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I do hope you are right. Do you think the fact that mine is 256GB and jet black will help at all if I need to sell it?
256GB will command a higher price. It's not the base model. And Jet Black is the new popular color.

Combine both, which you have, and you can demand a higher than normal price. Not outrageously higher, but it will sell for more than the average price.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

Yes but you will not get the extra money you paid back for the largest 256GB model. Most likely it will yield a fraction of the $200 extra you paid compared to the used 32GB iPhone 7.
The jet black is the popular new finish so that should definitely help too.

Stevessvt

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
I feel like even though it may have an oled screen, that Apple strives to conform to the sRGB accuracy that it may be impossible to even tell it's an oled screen. It will match in color saturation that it has now, and won't be over saturated like a Samsung panel. Except for the distinguishing characteristics of it being a pen tile display. So it could end up being a fuzzier display.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
iPhones retain great resale value. Just sell your old phone to offset much of the cost of a new one.
That has changed over the last years.

At least here in Germany you can get iPhone 7 base model (Apple's pricing: 760€) for 570€ now. And we are talking sealed units with full warranty, for example from people on contract who don't want it.
Upgraded models are even worse. You'll never make up the premium for additional capacity.

Macs are the same. 2016 MBPs priced originally at 1700€ available for 1300 to 1400€ every other week. I've got mine for 1370€ (sealed unit) in NOVEMBER! Found a 15" (originally priced at 3200€, sealed unit) for 2400€ recently, friend of mine picked it up.

I don't know what's wrong with Apple these days, but brand new devices losing that much value in a few months is crazy.

Reactions: Applejuiced

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
That has changed over the last years.

At least here in Germany you can get iPhone 7 base model (Apple's pricing: 760€) for 570€ now. And we are talking sealed units with full warranty, for example from people on contract who don't want it.
Upgraded models are even worse. You'll never make up the premium for additional capacity.

Macs are the same. 2016 MBPs priced originally at 1700€ available for 1300 to 1400€ every other week. I've got mine for 1370€ (sealed unit) in NOVEMBER! Found a 15" (originally priced at 3200€, sealed unit) for 2400€ recently, friend of mine picked it up.

I don't know what's wrong with Apple these days, but brand new devices losing that much value in a few months is crazy.

If you think resale value on iPhones isn't what it used to be...Android flagships are even worse.

It's silly what street prices are compared to what the carriers charge.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
Android's price fluctuation in general is still worse. Sucks for early adopters, but it's great for picking up a device 3 months later.

Pixel seems to hold up well due to it's exclusivity. There are no third party sellers undermining prices and only a few units available on the second hand market.
OnePlus 3 and 3T seem to be even more stable than both Pixel and iPhone right now.

Most Windows notebooks basically lack real resell value. Still sealed? Already lost 20% value. Unboxing it? Another 15% gone. Using it for a few weeks? Another 15%.

Used Thinkpads offer great value. Businesses don't buy used stuff and private customers aren't really interested in Thinkpads anyway. They are robust, barely show any wear and are worth jack ****. It's a steal.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I've been a loyal Thinkpad customer for many years.

Still rocking several X200, X200s, and X201...the 16:10 aspect ratio on them was great! My X31 still works...traveled everywhere with it. And the X61, the last of the 4:3 models, is pulling secondary duties. Some T-series love also.

Haven't test drove the recent models though...remember being bummed when Lenovo went w/soldered RAM and weird max RAM configurations in the later years.

Stevessvt

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
Android's price fluctuation in general is still worse. Sucks for early adopters, but it's great for picking up a device 3 months later.

Pixel seems to hold up well due to it's exclusivity. There are no third party sellers undermining prices and only a few units available on the second hand market.
OnePlus 3 and 3T seem to be even more stable than both Pixel and iPhone right now.

Most Windows notebooks basically lack real resell value. Still sealed? Already lost 20% value. Unboxing it? Another 15% gone. Using it for a few weeks? Another 15%.

Used Thinkpads offer great value. Businesses don't buy used stuff and private customers aren't really interested in Thinkpads anyway. They are robust, barely show any wear and are worth jack ****. It's a steal.
A few months ago I won a Note 7. You know how that turned out, so before I could take delivery of it they where recalled. So I was asked if I would be happy with 2 OnePlus 3s instead, which I gladly accepted. They where going for $399 but where back logged a month when I decided to sell one of them on swappa. I got $435 used in 1 day.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon

I get it, a lot go case-less, just saying why design is less important to me. So the no case folks are more into making a statement of some sort, fashion, prestige, coolness or some other. For the rest of us when the internals get closer to being worth a grand or better we'll maybe step up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.