Young Hair loss Sufferers & What are you doing about it?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rican, Jul 1, 2012.

1. rican macrumors 6502

rican

Hey everyone, I wanted to reach out to those who are young and losing their hair.

I have currently found an alternative, but considering diligently. What are you guys doing to manage/cope with your hair loss? Mind you I am 23 years old and am a Norwood III on the scale.

2. malman89 macrumors 68000

I lucked out and got my mom's hair. If I got my dad's hair, I'd be screwed. His 70s high school yearbook photo at 18 is with a big, thick mane of hair. Maybe even a mullet of awesomeness. Totally bald by 25. My older brother wasn't so lucky. He ended up with my dad's hair and just has a side wrap around going on.

Meanwhile, at 23 I can still grow my hair out shaggy if I want or have no issues. If I had my dad's/brother's hair, I would've Rogaine'd that instantly. No question about it. I couldn't bear being bald/balding in my 20s. I think 40+ (maybe even late late 30s) is when it's acceptable to bald, so I'd do anything to prevent it if I was balding in my 20s.

3. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

4. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

I'm definitely looking into Micro-Scalp pigmentation, I have a few friends who've had it done, and it looks 100% natural, real, authentic, people can't even tell.

It sucks that I got stuck with the bad genes :(

5. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm sitting between a norwood II and a norwood III. Have been since I was in my mid twenties. My hairline is about the same as Anderson Cooper's, so I style my hair like Anderson Cooper.

If it goes, it goes. So long as it doesn't get patchy, I won't mind so much.

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

I've heard you have to stay pretty regular on the Rogaine route for it to work, so I'd probably look into the same if I was in your situation for a long term solution.

I didn't even know what rating you were referring to, so I looked it up. My brother is 25 and like a 6 or 7 heh. Yikes. Phew on dodging that bullet.

7. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Its not a bald spot. Its a Solar Panel for a sex machine.

8. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I started balding at 18. My solution was to stop worrying about it, and I soon realized no one else cared either - there are a LOT of guys with major hair loss out there. I'm now 28 and have a huge bald spot on my head, as well as a well-receded hairline. I met a beautiful girl and got married last year, and she also could care less about it. I think in the end, it really only bothers the person that's balding, so the quicker you let yourself get over it and regain confidence, the better you life will be.

9. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'd love to be bald like Anderson Cooper.

10. TSE macrumors 68030

Thank god I'm northern Italian. We don't go bald. :)

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If I were you, I'd shave it off and be done with it. That's what I did at 26. It looks better and feels great. I spend no money on hair care products or hairdressers.

Now here's the irony. As soon as I shaved it off, it stopped falling out! I still have hair growing on the top of my head 19 years later. I was hoping it would be gone by now, so that I'd have less shaving to do. I would never want my hair back again. I'm glad I shaved it off. Work on the things you can change like your body itself. Work out and get in shape. Trust me- you'll get laid plenty. :)

12. eric/ Guest

eric/

Sometimes it's not just about how it looks to other people, it's about how you want to present yourself and you liking your own hair.

Fortunately we're in the times of fixing problems like this. :D

13. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

Eric, I agree with you 100%. I will be having my first Micro Scalp Pigmentation consultation on Thursday. I am in hopes they can give me results I want/need! :D

14. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

How does one find out where on this scale one is?

I seem to not have gotten my dad's hair. Thankfully.

15. rican thread starter macrumors 6502

rican

Google Norwood Hair Scale.

16. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Think carefully crafted. heavily sprayed comb over.

A truly great look.:rolleyes:

;) :D

Attached Files:

17. 184550 Guest

I'm twenty-four and a four or five according to that scale.

I don't really care TBH. The men on my both sides of my family go bald early.

18. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

+1 Now over 10 years, except for the work out and get in shape part. ;)

19. iJohnHenry, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I've been a 2-2A for many years, after my Father before me.

I also inherited his very fine hair, which is annoying in that it flies-about very easily.

So, about 4 years ago, I started using hair clippers on the lot, with no guard. Both for convenience and an homage to Chemo patients who lose their hair. Every 3 weeks or so usually suffices.

"The amount of money I save is off the hook...." - Everyday Normal Guy :D

20. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Wow

Wow- Thank God for my mom. I'm 43, and I must be like a zero or a negative on that hair loss scale. I wish I was taller than 5'8" though...

21. leekohler, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well sure, but really it does not matter. It's not even something I think about. It's just not an issue. Be secure in who you are, and you'll be fine presenting yourself to others.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

This thread instantly made me think of the movie Harold

23. 184550 Guest

I couldn't agree more.

24. MacNut, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If and when I start to lose it I will shave it all short. I usually keep it at a 1.5 or 2 anyways.

25. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

I heard that if you use rogan liberally when you're young before it starts to fall out, it works. But who knows.