Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Lol. Come on guys, it's been nearly 10 years with the same bands and connectors, it's time to move on. Throw them away along with your lighting cables.
Not these forum users…they’ll demand Apple use the same connector and cable forever so they don’t have to ever buy another band or cable that came with the device out of one side of their mouth and out of the other complain viciously about Apple’s lack of innovation in each and every generation.

This is place to be for progressive luddites!

Atog

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2023
Oh crap! So much waste! Mother Nature wont be happy, you'll see in the next keynote.. she's gonna be pissed! :)

• Love
Reactions: addamas

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
isn’t this the same rumour we’ve been getting for the last few years? Is plan to just keep repeating it every year until comes true?

Reactions: addamas

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
Possibly the new band include some connectors for more sensors? o_O
That seems plausible and could be done with the existing attachment so old and "dumb" bands still fit. The idea that the watch needs more real estate for tech is belied by the fact that the Ultra is already much larger than the regular models and changing the band attachment just for a larger battery seems unnecessary to me.

The "leaker" didn't tell us anything other than that the "connector" would be "completely redesigned" but not how it would be redesigned, either because he doesn't know or he knows something he shouldn't know. The part about selling old bands now suggests that they will be incompatible with the new watch but he doesn't explicitly say that either - it's just a hint (more like a taunt).

I think too much is being read into this tweet because the only way the leaker would know for certain is if someone told him something he wasn't supposed to be told. Otherwise he is guessing via the rumor mill. Either way it is unreliable info. Besides, things can still change between now and then.

Reactions: JosephAW

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
to all of you saying 9 years is good enough. Who bought all their bands 9 years ago? Ive spent about 500 on Ultra bands alone. Those aren't 9 effin' years old.
So hold on to your Ultra for a few more years and get your money's worth!

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
If fall 2024 introduces a new mechanism, that means bands will have lasted 9.5 years (since early 2015). That seems fair to me.
This misrepresented. Nobody is using bands for that long. It's creating waste.

I'm all for a new design but to say that they had a good run is meaningless when we often replace bands.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
to all of you saying 9 years is good enough. Who bought all their bands 9 years ago? Ive spent about 500 on Ultra bands alone. Those aren't 9 effin' years old.
If you’ve actually spent $500 on watch bands, that’s on you. You made that choice. Did you seriously expect that Apple was never ever going to change the mechanism that they use to connect watch bands to the watch? We’re talking about a technology company, not a 300 year old watch maker. Ten years of compatibility like this is way better than I expected. If you have an Ultra 1/2 or a Series 9 now, you can expect to get a good 5-7 years use out of your watch before wanting or even “needing” a new one. That Apple is doing this should come as a surprise to absolutely no one.

Reactions: dekadent

rhaezorblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
WHAT THE **** - sorry for the hyperbole, but I know I'm not the only person who thought this when they read the headline LMAO

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
I like my Apple Watch and I have a Seiko as well. Love it. But most of the time I wear my Apple Watch because of the o formation that it provides me on my wrist. There is a place for both and fortunately there are devotees of other watch brands out there. Apple helped make the Watch relevant again. I hadn’t really worn the Seiko in years, relying on my iPhone, until the Apple Watch was released. It’s not a cut and dry answer for anyone.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I had a Seiko years ago, gave it to my father, as it was only fair, he had given it to me. Self winding even, no battery, great watch! However I can't answer my phone on it or see/send text's. No email notifications either. I wouldn't go back.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Not these forum users…they’ll demand Apple use the same connector and cable forever so they don’t have to ever buy another band or cable that came with the device out of one side of their mouth and out of the other complain viciously about Apple’s lack of innovation in each and every generation.

This is place to be for progressive luddites!
But they claim they have so much money. A bunch of entitlement individuals around here.

We want change but don't want to pay for it -- Apple users

Agent007

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2006
United States
I'm as harsh an Apple critic as anyone (except, maybe, Louis Rossman) but they're right to do this.

In addition to freeing up space, they'll probably release "smart bands" which to allow sensors and possibly extra run time (like an internal string of tiny battery cells).

4k78

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
I’m truly confused. Do people here think Apple will stop selling the old bands? They will sell them along side the new ones.

coolkid93

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2017
Lehigh valley
you’re going to lose a lot of watch users. Since you had that design for years. Think of all the bands people have, even genuine Apple Watch bands people paid a lot of money for…

• Love
Reactions: Royksöpp

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
If this would make it possible to fit a larger battery and maybe even a redesign of the AppleWatch in general then it would be a welcome change.
It will just be a gap/open space, just like when they got rid of the headphone jack (at least for the first ones that lacked it) and the sim card tray in the US for the last 2 generations of iPhones

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Wouldn’t changing the band mechanism also go against their whole carbon neutral shtick? There have been a total of 711 bands released up until today with 86 still for sale. What is going to happen to those? If they wanted to show “courage” they would keep one design. At the end of the day it’s a watch. How complicated does it really need to be?

randomthoughts

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2020
If fall 2024 introduces a new mechanism, that means bands will have lasted 9.5 years (since early 2015). That seems fair to me.

We’ll all see, but if the design isn’t extremely thin or some other compelling reason, it’s just to generate more revenue on bands. The margin on them is probably already insane seeing many of the bands are $99 each.

This goes counter to their whole Carbon Neutral marketing. Do you know how many people have how many bands over the last decade that will immediately be useless and result in waste?

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.