Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Is anyone using the Zagg's to run? I can't find a good pair to run in. Currently using the Apple buds. I find that many of the noise isolating ones block out too much outside noise while running.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
I just purchased a pair of Klipsch S4i's. The sound quality is awesome and they're very light. I highly recommend them!!

Jooles

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
I just purchased a pair of Klipsch S4i's. The sound quality is awesome and they're very light. I highly recommend them!!

I hear the same from everyone about these sets. I think I'm gonna purchase a pair myself at some point today. Kudos!

Knightshade

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010

Numerous reviews I read on Amazon and elsewhere remarked that the wires would fray after about 6-12 months, and many had issues getting it fixed under warranty.

I recently did a ton of research on headphones in the $50-100 range looking for something to replace my otherwise excellent ER-6is... I'd have liked something with ipod controls included but after doing a TON of reading I found that these pretty much crushed any other set in terms of sound quality under $200 (and they're only $84 shipped)... no controls on the cord though-
http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=38

Here they are beating the legendary ER-4Ps-

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/405947/re0-rivals-er-4s-beats-e500-and-er-4p

Summary of reviews of around 100 different sets-
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread...x-turbine-pro-copper-added-08-18#post_6492059

The RE0s have the best average scores of anything under $100 and more importantly crush everything under $100 in sound quality. (9.0 out of 10... versus for example 7/10 for the S4 set)

The only sets beating it for sound quality are 2-4 times the price.

OC513

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
NYC
Numerous reviews I read on Amazon and elsewhere remarked that the wires would fray after about 6-12 months, and many had issues getting it fixed under warranty.

I recently did a ton of research on headphones in the $50-100 range looking for something to replace my otherwise excellent ER-6is... I'd have liked something with ipod controls included but after doing a TON of reading I found that these pretty much crushed any other set in terms of sound quality under $200 (and they're only $84 shipped)... no controls on the cord though-
http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=38

Here they are beating the legendary ER-4Ps-

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/405947/re0-rivals-er-4s-beats-e500-and-er-4p

Summary of reviews of around 100 different sets-
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread...x-turbine-pro-copper-added-08-18#post_6492059

The RE0s have the best average scores of anything under $100 and more importantly crush everything under $100 in sound quality. (9.0 out of 10... versus for example 7/10 for the S4 set)

The only sets beating it for sound quality are 2-4 times the price.

Thanks for the heads up....the reviews on these are mind blowing to me.....every review says they compete with the long standing best earphones out there, most costing 3-4 times as much like you said. I hope they come out with a pair with a mic and controls......if they do it is goodbye V-Modas and hello REO's for me.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I have the Shure E2c's, which i have great trouble with getting them to stay in my ear so i am going to buy some more.

I want good SQ, but its no good if they wont stay in my ear so i am willing to compromise a little.

Looking at the Ultimate Ears 5vi (£35 on sale in the UK) and Etymotic Research HF2's (£55 - cant afford more than this). Can anyone comment on which is better and also which will stay in my ears best? Or is there something else in this price range (<£50) thats even better?

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I have a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Extended Bass for 3 years now and love them no end.

With foam tips they are just awesome.

Not the most stylish of earphones but my god if you love bass like I do...:eek:

Knightshade

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
I have the Shure E2c's, which i have great trouble with getting them to stay in my ear so i am going to buy some more.

I want good SQ, but its no good if they wont stay in my ear so i am willing to compromise a little.

Looking at the Ultimate Ears 5vi (£35 on sale in the UK) and Etymotic Research HF2's (£55 - cant afford more than this). Can anyone comment on which is better and also which will stay in my ears best? Or is there something else in this price range (<£50) thats even better?

The RE0s I mentioned above fit nicely (and come with like 6 different ear bud cover shapes to pick from) are $79 US, which is 50.86 sterling according to google and should offer significantly better sound quality than either other set you mention... not sure what shipping to the UK is though.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Skullcandy Icon 2 (inline remote/mic) for when sitting at my desk.
Sony MDR-XB40EX for traveling/bored/etc.

Both are pretty inexpensive and sound great. Both have very good deep bass if that's your thing.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    382.8 KB · Views: 68
  • photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    439.6 KB · Views: 76

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
The RE0s I mentioned above fit nicely (and come with like 6 different ear bud cover shapes to pick from) are $79 US, which is 50.86 sterling according to google and should offer significantly better sound quality than either other set you mention... not sure what shipping to the UK is though.

Really interested in these headphones, great reviews and bargin price it seems.

However i am concerned by the lack of bass everyone complains about. Have you found this to be an issue? The Shures i have were a big let down on the bass, very disappointing, i dont want to be disappointed again.

When people say there is little bass, do they mean they have less bass than they should? or do they mean its not crazy bass-tastic like many headphones are for the "young 'uns" who value bass over everything else?

I'm not a bass head, but i do listen to some electronic music thats pretty bassy and want it to sound right.

Silenthillnight

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009

I use E2c's personally and I love them. Do you wear it with the cable over your ear and have you tried the different fitting tips with them? It's a bit of trial and error getting the perfect fit but once you do, they'll stay in for sure :)

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I use E2c's personally and I love them. Do you wear it with the cable over your ear and have you tried the different fitting tips with them? It's a bit of trial and error getting the perfect fit but once you do, they'll stay in for sure :)

Had them for 2 years and tried everything. Seems worse in my left ear. Must be the shape of my ear canal.

Knightshade

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
Really interested in these headphones, great reviews and bargin price it seems.

However i am concerned by the lack of bass everyone complains about. Have you found this to be an issue? The Shures i have were a big let down on the bass, very disappointing, i dont want to be disappointed again.

When people say there is little bass, do they mean they have less bass than they should? or do they mean its not crazy bass-tastic like many headphones are for the "young 'uns" who value bass over everything else?

I'm not a bass head, but i do listen to some electronic music thats pretty bassy and want it to sound right.

What I found (comparing them to the Etymotic ER-6i set that I've had for a while and will now be passing on to my wife) is this:

You still hear bass on the RE0s, but it doesn't linger quite as long as it does in the Etys. I can see how this could be perceived as "lack" of bass I suppose.

On the bright side, you hear a lot more overall in the music, both in staging and sound. I heard sounds in the music with the RE0s I hadn't heard at all with the Etymotic set, and overall placement/location seemed better too.

Mine aren't "broken in" yet either, only have a couple hours on em as I've been pretty busy since I got em, but thusfar my experiences match pretty well with the all the glowing reviews you see.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
What I found (comparing them to the Etymotic ER-6i set that I've had for a while and will now be passing on to my wife) is this:

You still hear bass on the RE0s, but it doesn't linger quite as long as it does in the Etys. I can see how this could be perceived as "lack" of bass I suppose.

On the bright side, you hear a lot more overall in the music, both in staging and sound. I heard sounds in the music with the RE0s I hadn't heard at all with the Etymotic set, and overall placement/location seemed better too.

Mine aren't "broken in" yet either, only have a couple hours on em as I've been pretty busy since I got em, but thusfar my experiences match pretty well with the all the glowing reviews you see.

What buds do you use?

Not sure if i should go for these or the Etymotic Research HF2's. Thoughts?

Knightshade

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
What buds do you use?

Not sure if i should go for these or the Etymotic Research HF2's. Thoughts?

Do you mean which tips am I using on the RE0s? I've only listened with the default ones so far (clear, double-flanged) but they came with several different sets, just haven't had time to play around with them as yet. One of the reviews I link to though did so and he gives a description of his thoughts on the difference between them (and includes a couple other tips he had as well that he tried with them)

I haven't heard the HF2s..but from the reviews I've read though they're not quite as good as the Etymotic ER-4P, and the RE0s equal or beat the ER-4Ps in the direct comparison I linked to earlier...so I'd imagine the HF2s will fall short compared to the RE0s.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Do you mean which tips am I using on the RE0s? I've only listened with the default ones so far (clear, double-flanged) but they came with several different sets, just haven't had time to play around with them as yet. One of the reviews I link to though did so and he gives a description of his thoughts on the difference between them (and includes a couple other tips he had as well that he tried with them)

I haven't heard the HF2s..but from the reviews I've read though they're not quite as good as the Etymotic ER-4P, and the RE0s equal or beat the ER-4Ps in the direct comparison I linked to earlier...so I'd imagine the HF2s will fall short compared to the RE0s.

Just wondering if some tips like the ones from Comply would help with the bass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.