YOUR Game of the Year

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Eff those big, funded awards. What was your GOTY?

For me its either Left4Dead 2 (for the multiplayer) or Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (for the single player).

Wii: New Mario Wii
DS: Castlevania OoE
Xbox 360: GTA Ballad of Gay Tony
PC: Left4Dead 2
PSP: Fieldrunners
PS3: Uncharted 2

Nuck81

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
Western Kentucky
Of the Platforms I own....

Wii: New Super Mario Brothers
Honorable Mention: Punchout Wii and World of Goo

PS3: Need For Speed: Shift
Honorable Mention: Flower and Batman Arkham Asylum

DS: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Honorable Mention: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
Umm... Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Yeah, I know... but darn it, I am having so much fun playing multiplayer and spec ops with my cousin over Live and I'm a sucker for the over-the-top campaign.

Unfortunately though, I haven't had a chance to play Uncharted 2 yet.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
PS3
Easily Uncharted 2, with Ratchet and Clank ACiT and Killzone 2 as runner ups.
PSN
Pixeljunk Shooter
Forza 3
XBLA
Shadow Complex
PS3/360
For my multiplatform GOTYs I'd have to pick MW2, Assassin's Creed 2, and Batman. I had tons of fun with all three titles.
Wii
I really haven't played it in a long time... so... Madworld was pretty cool. I'll be getting New Super Mario soon, that might take it's place.
DS
Simple, GTA Chinatown Wars
PSP
LittleBigPlanet

And I'm sure I forgot something...

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Persona 4. Yeah it came out last December but I played it this year.

Best RPG on PS2 <3 great characters, great story (though the ending is a bit odd... and needs a FAQ to beat properly) amazing music (never thought I would like J-Pop at all) and fun, grindy battle system. I hope they port it to PSP like they are doing with P3.

But if we are going by THIS year.... hmm..... Probably MW2. I still haven't played Uncharted, or ODST or Batman or much of Ass Creed but yeah... MW2 multiplayer is very addictive. And really, the short campaign, a one-nighter with my buddy, was so over-the-top r-word'ed that we had a blast laughing our asses off until 5am.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Uncharted 2 is probably my best game of the year across all platforms. The motion capture just enhances the game so well. Almost all the characters actions are believable.

MW2 is great for single player and multi of course.

Borderlands, which I just finished my first playthrough of this weekend and started my second. It's much harder the 2nd time around and this game is excellent with friends. This game might be a keeper till Borderlands 2 comes out!

The Creeps on the iPhone... :) I've ran down my battery a time or two with that already.

Batman: Arkham Asylum is very good but can be knocked out fully in a weekend so might fall into the rental area.

Shadow Complex is excellent if you want a cheaper game. I played through that game 4-5 times at least.

I think the only big non-sports title I haven't played so far this year is Assassin's Creed 2 but I'm waiting for that to come to PC in March. At least... trying to wait... :)

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've not played that many XB games. I'd have to say Borderlands for coop. For solo, it's not nearly as good imo. L4D2 is good, but it's more of a continuation.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
PS3
Easily Uncharted 2, with Ratchet and Clank ACiT and Killzone 2 as runner ups.
PSN
Pixeljunk Shooter
Forza 3
XBLA
Shadow Complex
PS3/360
For my multiplatform GOTYs I'd have to pick MW2, Assassin's Creed 2, and Batman. I had tons of fun with all three titles.
Wii
I really haven't played it in a long time... so... Madworld was pretty cool. I'll be getting New Super Mario soon, that might take it's place.
DS
Simple, GTA Chinatown Wars
PSP
LittleBigPlanet

And I'm sure I forgot something...
Good lord you have an awful lot of games and consoles. Where do you find the money? Or the time to play them all? I'm still gaming on my PS2 I bought new back in 2000 :( i can afford a PS3.

RED FACTION II FTW!

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
PS3 and PC: Modern Warfare 2.

the single player was short but I thought the story was good.

Im still hooked on the multiplayer. I played modern warfare 1 until the summer of 2009 since its release. I hope I can get the same mileage from #2

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
Good lord you have an awful lot of games and consoles.
you think that's a lot ? :eek

I pray you never see my CC :D

Despite buying a scary amount of games this year (must be 50+) on all platforms, whilst there have been titles I've enjoyed more than others, and games that have made me play to completion (not that often these days); I must confess that there is nothing that immediately jumps out at me and says 'standout moment 2009'...

A few Highlights, maybe... Standout moments, none....

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
PC
Winner: Empire: Total War - strategy on a grand scale, with possibly the best setting (mmm, guns!). Creative Assembly have finally patched it to a working, non-crashing level and I love it. Napoleon: Total War may one-up it (frankly, I want Rifles earlier in the game), but this year Empire has been the outstanding release.

Runner Up: Tales of Monkey Island

PlayStation 3
Winner: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - rather enjoyed it, although it isn't exactly long. Great story telling and a fine example of gaming as a vehicle for emotive responses.

Runner Up: Borderlands, Arkham Asylum
NB: Uncharted 2 and Assassins Creed II are under the tree...

Winner: Left 4 Dead 2. Mmm, zombies. Slightly unbalanced with the melee weapons, but still fun with friends. Good to see some changes from L4D and a less linear route through the maps.

Runner Up: The Secret of Monkey Island SE

Wii
Winner: New Super Mario Bros - yet another rehash, but it works. Like the 360 another year of dross from Nintendo really. Don't know why I have a Wii any more, apart from the odd bit of Virtual Console.

PSP
Winner: Final Fantasy VII - yes okay, it's a PSone port, but damnit, the best port in the world (well, except for a shiny PS3 one...)

Runner Up: LocoRoco 2, FF Tactics

DS Lite
Winner: Errr, didn't buy any DS games this year. Shame on you Nintendo.