Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Invidio.us was recommended on a MorphOS forum - I used it for about a week but then it seemed to be offline - so that's an issue to watch out for.

I tried it on my MB Air and it loaded fine. Went downstairs to test it on my Mac Pro and Wallstreet... offline. Guess I'll try again later.

EDIT: It's back up. Must be quite intermittent. Security error with Classilla, so no go.

Last edited:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I swear I had this working really well in browser using Quicktime in Mac OS9 maybe 2-3 years ago. Maybe that method no longer works. Had YT playing shockingly smooth full-screen on my Power Mac 8600.

Must see if I can find an old video clip of it working.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I tried it on my MB Air and it loaded fine. Went downstairs to test it on my Mac Pro and Wallstreet... offline. Guess I'll try again later.

EDIT: It's back up. Must be quite intermittent. Security error with Classilla, so no go.

The catch seems to be that it's very selective with what browser accesses it, with some (primarily older) browsers citing an insecure connection, thus refusing to connect.

I haven't had a problem with it on Chromium or Firefox, but it wouldn't land on Nokia Browser, Opera Mini, or (evidently) Classila. I wonder how it works on Safari 4?

And that's a terrible shame, because it's always the older and lower-end systems on the older browsers that need these lightweight frontends the most...

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
400Mhz
1Gig Ram
100Gig HD

Get rid of the G3 and get 550 G4 upgrade - I also managed to overclock the G4 to 600 on the Pismo.
[automerge]1588879392[/automerge]
Unfortunately, genyoutube is now dead to Classilla due to the outdated security of the browser. I've been looking around for a similar site, but to no avail thus far. Will keep looking...

Update: This will be fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: pmac0973

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
The catch seems to be that it's very selective with what browser accesses it, with some (primarily older) browsers citing an insecure connection, thus refusing to connect.

I haven't had a problem with it on Chromium or Firefox, but it wouldn't land on Nokia Browser, Opera Mini, or (evidently) Classila. I wonder how it works on Safari 4?

And that's a terrible shame, because it's always the older and lower-end systems on the older browsers that need these lightweight frontends the most...

Sadly, no one cares anymore and this is the reason why Classila needs updates to the new security protocols - Alex Free knows a lot about OS 9 and probably can assist Kaiser with it.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
Get rid of the G3 and get 550 G4 upgrade - I also managed to overclock the G4 to 600 on the Pismo.
[automerge]1588879392[/automerge]

Update: This will be fixed.

Instead of relying on other YouTube websites, why not run a PPCMC Web Interface which is explicitly designed for Classilla/Netscape 4/Internet Explorer 5 compatibility on another OS X Mac? It will even download videos and convert them into 240p MPEG1’s which a 300MHZ G3 can play full speed.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
At the time, I bought a G4 550 7410 processor upgrade, however these are rare to find these days, but if you are good with microsoldering(see Hrutkay Mods youtube channel) you can have it done.

Here is a video on how you can get it done, since finding the card is hard to do.

Last edited:

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
There used to be one years ago but the author's website went offline. It wouldn't work now anyway as the files it played - FLV video, Youtube no longer provides. For all the video formats Youtube now uses, there are no codecs support in OS9 - so even if you could stream/download the videos, there's no media player in OS9 that can accommodate them.

The only way to achieve it is using Virtual PC in OS9 as I did here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/virtual-pc-on-os9.2095788/#post-25615511

However, it's so slow as to be unusable.
What was the name of this app and is it on Macintosh repository or garden ?

Bruninho

Suspended
Mar 12, 2021
Dude, forget this. Youtube will not run on it anymore. It was already been explained why. Youtube already dropped the supported video formats.

Reactions: repairedCheese

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Maybe so, but what about this .3gp extension for QuickTime which was in this forum ? Also, what is deprecated mean ? I don’t have my Ukrainian dictionary with me to find out this word meaning, but it sounds bad.. went to this site genyoutube.com where possible to download YouTube videos and has .3gp extension.

When was the last time YouTube ever ran well on OS 9 ?

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I swear I had this working really well in browser using Quicktime in Mac OS9 maybe 2-3 years ago. Maybe that method no longer works. Had YT playing shockingly smooth full-screen on my Power Mac 8600.

Must see if I can find an old video clip of it working.
YouTube never played well on OS 9 ever, even 2-3, 8 10 years ago.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@Macbookprodude YouTube stopped providing 3GP files a while ago. No 3GP extension for QuickTime will enable YouTube playback now.

'Deprecated' means 'phased out', or 'discontinued'. For example, YouTube deprecated support for the 3GP file format. In my experience, it is a term most commonly used in relation to software and computing.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
@Macbookprodude YouTube stopped providing 3GP files a while ago. No 3GP extension for QuickTime will enable YouTube playback now.

'Deprecated' means 'phased out', or 'discontinued'. For example, YouTube deprecated support for the 3GP file format. In my experience, it is a term most commonly used in relation to software and computing.

Was there ever a time when YouTube played anything under OS 9 ? Also, PPCMC can help with this right ?

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@Macbookprodude I believe so. However, I lack the experience to verify this statement.

If I understand the process correctly, PPCMC can be used from 10.3.9, 10.4, or 10.5 to download and convert YouTube videos to a format that QuickTime 6 can read. The user can then reboot into OS 9 and watch said videos from there. To my knowledge, that's about the extent of what PPCMC can do in that regard.

I know it also has a Web server function primarily for use with the Classic Mac OS, but I've forgotten the details of how that may also be utilized to watch YouTube videos under OS 9. In any case, @alex_free would be more helpful here than me.

Reactions: alex_free

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
@Macbookprodude I believe so. However, I lack the experience to verify this statement.

If I understand the process correctly, PPCMC can be used from 10.3.9, 10.4, or 10.5 to download and convert YouTube videos to a format that QuickTime 6 can read. The user can then reboot into OS 9 and watch said videos from there. To my knowledge, that's about the extent of what PPCMC can do in that regard.

I know it also has a Web server function primarily for use with the Classic Mac OS, but I've forgotten the details of how that may also be utilized to watch YouTube videos under OS 9. In any case, @alex_free would be more helpful here than me.

Luckily I don’t have to explain the web interface bit, as @RogerWilco6502 already did so in an awesome YouTube video. Please note that PPCMC 7 has changed how the web interface is installed, but it functions the same way and you can get up to date by reading the user guide section explaining this.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
So, really PPCMC is the only choice for watching any kind of youtube like movies on OS 9. Its certainly better than nothing. But, since YT was around after OS 9 development stopped in 2002, I assume Youtube at that time was horrible on PowerPC Macs.. but the entire internet worked out just fine until 2014 ?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
For reasons I can't explain, I just tried Genyoutube again and for some videos it is indeed supplying 3gp links again.

At first I thought these might be via a transcoding service but given how quickly they stream/download I doubt it.

This might mean youtube do still have the 3gp files but mask them to most url parsing - remember youtube-dl devs insisted 3gp was no longer there despite evidence to the contrary.

Alas, the previous OS9 method for displaying these no longer works because of the https error in Classilla but otherwise the filetype coversion still works seemlessly:

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
"https error in Classilla"... Isn't this something Cameron Kaiser wrote about on how to bypass?

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
For reasons I can't explain, I just tried Genyoutube again and for some videos it is indeed supplying 3gp links again.

At first I thought these might be via a transcoding service but given how quickly they stream/download I doubt it.

This might mean youtube do still have the 3gp files but mask them to most url parsing - remember youtube-dl devs insisted 3gp was no longer there despite evidence to the contrary.

Alas, the previous OS9 method for displaying these no longer works because of the https error in Classilla but otherwise the filetype coversion still works seemlessly:

View attachment 1756208
Where do I find “Ytube” to convert ? Unless I am doing something wrong - genytb.net is NOT working - I get this stupid error under LWK on my PB G4, so maybe you imagined it ? Notice the 503 NA ERROR.

Attachments

• 2EC91860-3186-41D6-99CE-0496087520C3.jpeg
    2EC91860-3186-41D6-99CE-0496087520C3.jpeg
    369.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
So near...yet so far...

OS9/Virtual PC 4/Windows 2000/RetroZilla/GenYT/QuickTime 6.5.1

Whilst the downloading and playback in QuickTime is fine, to search for a video requires javascript to be enabled...then everything comes to a grinding halt.

What this does prove is that 3gp videos do appear to be on Youtube servers and someone with the skills could do a portal like Action Retro's to deliver low end video.

RetroZilla.png

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Yes, by running a self hosted proxy I believe.
So near...yet so far...

OS9/Virtual PC 4/Windows 2000/RetroZilla/GenYT/QuickTime 6.5.1

Whilst the downloading and playback in QuickTime is fine, to search for a video requires javascript to be enabled...then everything comes to a grinding halt.

What this does prove is that 3gp videos do appear to be on Youtube servers and someone with the skills could do a portal like Action Retro's to deliver low end video.

View attachment 1756365
This is good, but when I tried accessing genytb.com I got a 503 error, so how does that help anything ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.