Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Really? I didn't knew that. If MR content is using the same links as MG, then I could've just gone straight to MG instead?

Where did that story came from?
It's no use reposting what as been posted on the MG on the macRepo, as they use a robot to scrape regularly what's new on the MG. You will find it on the MacRepo after a week or so.
The fun thing to do when uploading something on the MG, is to put something like "uploaded on the MacintoshGarden.org" on your screenshots. The ones i uploaded with these, i couldn't find back on the Repo , maybe it give them too much work to clean the screenshots :p

Last edited:

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Please don't.

Actually, they mirror (steal) all MG content anyway...but restrict and monetise access.
I am sorry, I honestly did not know they do that. I use both of them, as I need to upload to the garden Onyx PB G4 restore/install discs.. 550/667mhz. But getting back to the topic, so do MG and MR compete ?? This should not be because both should preserve OS 9 or classic Mac OS apps/games.

Bruninho

Suspended
Mar 12, 2021
I honestly did not knew it too. Good to know. I might just shift my focus of searching for apps/games for OS 9 on MG only.

Should I remove the reference to MR made in this thread's wikipost about OS 9 apps? Sometimes, one has problems to download in one of them so the plan b would be to download it on another...

Before that, sometimes I had this process, where I couldn't find something in one, I'd search in the other, and vice-versa. There was cases of apps/utilities I couldn't find it in one of them so I went to search on another.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
I am sorry, I honestly did not know they do that. I use both of them, as I need to upload to the garden Onyx PB G4 restore/install discs.. 550/667mhz. But getting back to the topic, so do MG and MR compete ?? This should not be because both should preserve OS 9 or classic Mac OS apps/games.
Nothing to "compete" on, as far as the Garden is concerned. They are both abandonware hosts. It's just that MR is led by a dishonest crazy guy, that's all.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Easy to check. Here is one of my uploads on MG, some of my own icons, so I know the few places where I posted it :
Upload date : 2018 Aug 2
Then on the MR :
Upload date 2018 aug 11
Same screenshots. The description is not there, but I do remember it was at one time.

It's just ridiculous that the guy doesn't admit that. I'm sure the MG doesn't mind having a mirror, it help the preservation, but one that admit openly what it does. And doesn't force registration, ask donation, and display adds.
Anyway, one of the funny mean things on the web. A bit pitiful.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Easy to check. Here is one of my uploads on MG, some of my own icons, so I know the few places where I posted it :
Then on the MR :
Upload date 2018 aug 11
Same screenshots. The description is not there, but I do remember it was at one time.

It's just ridiculous that the guy doesn't admit that. I'm sure the MG doesn't mind having a mirror, it help the preservation, but one that admit openly what it does. And doesn't force registration, ask donation, and display adds.
I notice you have the same PowerBook G4 1Ghz - do your fans get loud ? I opened mine up and the fans are clear of dust. The only issue is my original 1280x screen broke, and I had a screen assembly from the 667 model and it works perfectly - is it even possible to find the hi-res screen ?

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
I notice you have the same PowerBook G4 1Ghz - do your fans get loud ? I opened mine up and the fans are clear of dust. The only issue is my original 1280x screen broke, and I had a screen assembly from the 667 model and it works perfectly - is it even possible to find the hi-res screen ?
Yes, I have two 1Ghz, they both have fans running after like 30 mn of use. I've changed the thermal paste, but it didn't change. But was some time ago, will have to redo it, maybe with better thermal paste.
I have also a 500Mhz, this one is quieter.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Yes, I have two 1Ghz, they both have fans running after like 30 mn of use. I've changed the thermal paste, but it didn't change. But was some time ago, will have to redo it, maybe with better thermal paste.
I have also a 500Mhz, this one is quieter.
Cool.. do you know where I can get a replacement screen, not that the screen makes a difference, but certainly want the higher res screen.

Bruninho

Suspended
Mar 12, 2021
Then on the MR :
Upload date 2018 aug 11

So it was you who did these cool icons! I got some inspiration from them, from BeOS icons and M$ "Fluent design" icons to start creating a new set of icons to be used in a LMS project I work for.

Meanwhile, I updated the OS 9 thread removing the MR link and leaving only the MG link. I know that its good to have a mirror, but after reading more into this, I'd rather not support this kind of "scam".

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Cool.. do you know where I can get a replacement screen, not that the screen makes a difference, but certainly want the higher res screen.
Well like everyone, I would browse the bay to try find a cheap replacement (low chance) or a wreck to take appart...
there are some sites specific for selling old mac parts, like powerbookmedic.com, but I find their prices are usually prohibitive.

Jubadub

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2017
Then on the MR :
Upload date 2018 aug 11
Look how the listed time on that page says it was uploaded in 2015, but """updated""" in 2018. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.