YouTube apps is sucking my battery really fast.

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by PeLaNo, Nov 5, 2017.

1. PeLaNo thread starter macrumors regular

They’ve been fixed it in recent update. At least it’s not happen for me anymore after update.

2. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

The app still stutters when you move the video to bottom right corner, on iPhone and iPad.
    Haven’t checked the battery life yet.

3. joesegh, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

joesegh macrumors regular

Same issue on my iPhone 8 with 11.1. I was Chromecasting (which should barely use the app on your phone once you've created your queue), and my battery went from 94% down to 75% over the course of about 50 minutes or so, and the device got really hot.

4. Sharkoneau macrumors 6502

Sharkoneau

At this point I've pretty much accepted that battery drain in the YouTube app is going to be relatively awful, regardless of what they do with it. I know that if I consume a large amount of video, my overall battery life will markedly decline.

5. Radon87000 macrumors 603

Too bad ProTube got removed. It didnt have such an issue.

6. xtcvvv macrumors newbie

I also get battery drain when casting to my TV, even after updating YT to 12.43. I was wondering why my battery life dropped 2.5 hours below normal these past few days.

7 Plus on 10.3.3

7. daffie macrumors regular

daffie

After the latest update my iphone doesn't heat up any more when playback youtube vids. Battery usage is 6% per 15 minutes (1080p / 1440p). I guess that's about normal?

8. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

It's always taking everyone's battery... I don't know why... I've reported a number of times... it heats up the phone, takes a toll on the battery.., they never fix it...

9. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Any news on if YouTube is still heating up phones? Mine would get very hot to the touch while streaming to chrome cast so I ended up deleting it.

10. PeLaNo thread starter macrumors regular

After update I think they fixed it but actually they don’t,it’s still heat up and drain battery.

11. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

:/ a bit sad to hear. Although that one reddit thread explaining the reason makes me think that it will be a good while before the issue is resolved. It looks more like a google using a new type of encoder that Apple has decided not to adopt yet.

[​IMG]

Not sure how all that works, but i guess that means we just have to wait.

12. SoYoung macrumors 6502

I just avoid watching youtube videos on my phone now to preserve battery life. I just use my computer or iPad for this and wait for a fix.

Since I do this, my battery is good again so it's clearly a youtube problem.

13. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Yes, I saw that too and it’s plausible. Further, if battery/CPU usage is dependent on the codec used, then that, in theory, could change from video to video and be influenced by choices applied server-side. In which case the app version might be irrelevant.

Is there any way of establishing for any particular viewed video which codec is being used? I know there is a way to do this in desktop Safari, but in the iOS app?

Thanks.

14. PeLaNo thread starter macrumors regular

Me too,but that sad
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    VP9 is codec that invented by Google so it’s normal for them to do that but at least in iOS app they should use H.265 that Apple fully support right ?

15. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

An alternative is to use Safari to browse YouTube.

16. rjruiz2 macrumors regular

YouTube has a major problem right now. Even after just literally 5 minutes of viewing my iPhone 8 Plus got super hot and the brightness dimmed and couldn't adjust it at all... At least for a few minutes until it cooled off.

17. daffie macrumors regular

daffie

Yup...it's screwed again (after last youtube update all seemed fine). Watching a full HD or 4K clip for 20 minutes eats away 10% battery! Phone gets far too hot as well

18. tkwlee macrumors member

Will you try uninstall and reinstall the YouTube app? I did it and seems the overheat problem disappear at this moment.

19. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

After latest YouTube update, safari randomly crashes if I try to watch YouTube videos in safari.
    For now I’m sticking with my iPad that I keep plugged in to a charger if I want to watch YouTube videos on the YouTube app.

20. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

21. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Time to wait and see if apple will adopt or not. I do hope they do soon, i did like using the YouTube app

22. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

I’ve removed the Youtube app for now. I’ve also tried the Youtube site in Safari and for some reason some links in it are not working.

I think I’ll just avoid Youtube wherever possible.

23. daffie, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

daffie macrumors regular

daffie

Darn...that's not good news.

Btw so 1080p should not have this issue?

24. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

Safari can't play vp9 videos. Safari can only play mpeg-4 videos.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    Under 1080x. That does not include 1080x. So basically no HD videos. Lower resolution videos are still in MPEG-4.

25. throwthedice macrumors regular

I'm on iOS 10.3.3 on my 6s+ and YouTube is killing the battery. Was between 40-50% and 15 mins later, it went down to 2% and I think this started with the recent app update.

Guess I'll have to wait for the app to be updated.