Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pascal325

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
Seems mine has gone back to overheating again and burning through the battery. It only lasted a day. I had to remove it again.
[doublepost=1510186279][/doublepost]
YouTube always pushes the temps on my phone, its not really a hardware issue.

As others stated, either live with it, update the app or do what many of us do, just view the videos in safari.
Well, it didn't USE to do it though. Youtube app has issues.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Hmm I stream YouTube via the app at least 2/3 hours a day. Don’t really notice the X getting any hotter than my 6 plus. The battery isn’t as good but that’s another story.

And I use live chat during podcasts so I have that going on as well. OP where is your brightness at? Mine is always way down like 30%

Edit.. YouTube just updated their app today to optimize the iPhone X. But only thing I see so far is pinch to zoom and fill the entire screen. Videos looks fantastic.

Pascal325

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
Hmm I stream YouTube via the app at least 2/3 hours a day. Don’t really notice the X getting any hotter than my 6 plus. The battery isn’t as good but that’s another story.

And I use live chat during podcasts so I have that going on as well. OP where is your brightness at? Mine is always way down like 30%

Edit.. YouTube just updated their app today to optimize the iPhone X. But only thing I see so far is pinch to zoom and fill the entire screen. Videos looks fantastic.

Mine is around 1/4 up for brightness. I watched a video that was only 10 minutes long at lunch. It got very hot on the back, and the battery went down 10% in that time frame.

Reactions: iapplelove

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Mine is around 1/4 up for brightness. I watched a video that was only 10 minutes long at lunch. It got very hot on the back, and the battery went down 10% in that time frame.

Oh man that’s too hot imo. I can watch about 30 minutes of video and see the battery drain maybe 10%. True Tone on brightness down to about 30%.

Pascal325

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
Oh man that’s too hot imo. I can watch about 30 minutes of video and see the battery drain maybe 10%. True Tone on brightness down to about 30%.
Yeah, mine never did that before. It's crazy. I will just use that other youtube app for now which I can watch videos all day and it's fine.

Radelaid

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2017
I have the same issue on both my 7 Plus and X, but it doesn't happen with every video or every time. Sometimes it works like normal and sometimes the phone heats up and drains like crazy. It's definitely a YouTube app issue and I hope Google will fix it soon.
Same. Not every video, seems to usually if my wifi isn’t as strong.
[doublepost=1510276722][/doublepost]I’ve had this same problem since 11, I’m all up to date on everything and it doesn’t happen every time but most time I watch videos. I have YouTube red and I want to be able to use the features ... does anyone else have YouTube Red... maybe the background play etc is a factor?

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Official YouTube app is awful. It’s been a a battery hog for a few years so it’s not iOS11.

It’s known to play silent background audio and kill your battery.

Reactions: Martunsk1

WednesdayAntoinette

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, mine never did that before. It's crazy. I will just use that other youtube app for now which I can watch videos all day and it's fine.

I've been having the same problem with my iPhone SE. My dad told me to book an appointment with the Genius Bar (which I already had a bad feeling about). When I told the employee about the battery draining extremely quickly, e.g. 10% less after watching one video, and that the phone was getting very hot, he told me it's due to my usage of the phone. He told me I must be viewing them at 1080p which I never do, I always watch videos on YouTube at 720p or less. He didn't even suggest that it might be due to a software/app/update issue, he was intent on blaming my usage on the battery life problems. I've never experienced this problem before and my viewing habits have not changed. After researching this problem online I've found many threads, posts and videos complaining about poor battery life and YouTube app causing sharp battery draining since the iOS 11 updates.
[doublepost=1510309549][/doublepost]
Official YouTube app is awful. It’s been a a battery hog for a few years so it’s not iOS11.

Lots of people have not been experiencing this issue with the YouTube app in the past, for many people it has been since the new iOS 11 updates that battery draining problems have become an issue.

I still use my iPod Touch which is on iOS 9.3.2, yet the YouTube app never drains my battery like it does on my iPhone SE. My iPod battery can last me two days despite using YouTube quite frequently. In addition my YouTube app on my iPod is on the latest update, the same version as the YouTube app on my iPhone so it seems likely that it may be an incompatibility with iOS 11 or a software/bug problem with iOS 11 itself.

Last edited:

WW_Heisenberg_WW

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017
Happens to me too. Battery drains fast not only when when playing videos on the app but also when casting a video to chromecast. The phone becomes very hot also. Overall the youtube app is such a mess. It takes a lot of time to load thumbnails and is slow compared to the android app.

Pascal325

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017

No, it's happened since iOS 11. I never had an issue with it killing my battery till then.

Reactions: Mazook

Pascal325

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
This just happened to me too. Phone becane quite hot just during one 5-minute video. Never happened in the past, even after watching many videos in a row for an hour or two.

Reactions: Mazook

Mazook

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Now the problem is also present on my iPhone 7 iOS 11.0.3.. I am always watching 1080p if available, and haven’t been a victim for this **** before. So annoying. Maybe its due to iOS 11 only supporting 64-bit apps?

WednesdayAntoinette

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017

Wolfmore

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
I had that issue just last week, iPhone 7 got really hot, my battery went down from full to zero in about 2 or more and my phone shutdown, it took longer than normal to recharge and reboot, when it did thought to check my battery usage and ther was YouTube’s official app at top with huge percent on battery drain. It was 50% If I recall though should have read 100%. I’m left to wonder with no answer if it’s Apple IOS fault or YouTube app developers fault.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
The thread you have linked in your reply is regarding a slightly different issue. The majority of people who are having battery issues with YouTube and who are posting on this thread are referring to high battery draining caused when using the app and playing videos, background activity has not really been mentioned in this thread.

People have experienced that issue as well if you do a search. I️ experienced high battery drain while using the app in iOS10. This is definitely a YouTube app problem, not an iOS one.

Reactions: Ntombi

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Now the problem is also present on my iPhone 7 iOS 11.0.3.. I am always watching 1080p if available, and haven’t been a victim for this **** before. So annoying. Maybe its due to iOS 11 only supporting 64-bit apps?

No, that’s surely not the reason.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
I watch a lot of YouTube on my iPhone 7 Plus. I had never experienced excessive heat or battery drain (even at 1440p) until I updated to the iOS 11 beta. My assumption at the time was that the beta software had some sort of issue that would be worked out. At this point, I have gone as far as wiping and setting up my phone as new to eliminate any other variables - the issue persists on iOS 11.1.1 (build 15B150). I also have the latest version of the YouTube app.

I watch my battery usage closely as I do not have access to a charger at my work. YouTube has never caused problems like this for me. The heat and battery drain are unmistakable when watching YouTube videos (720p or lower included).

Also, when I stream on the Netflix app, there is no appreciable heat, and battery is remarkably stable.

This has to be a problem with iOS 11 or the YouTube app.

Reactions: Pascal325

Pascal325

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
People have experienced that issue as well if you do a search. I️ experienced high battery drain while using the app in iOS10. This is definitely a YouTube app problem, not an iOS one.

You continue to have an arguement that you seem to have no clue about. You post a wrong link that means nothing about the issue we are currently having. This all started with iOS 11. My whole family has never had an issue in years with Youtube. This again started with iOS 11.

Please stop posting until you do your own research.

Reactions: WednesdayAntoinette

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Yep, my 8 Plus gets absolutely scolding and I'm on the latest public iOS version. I don't recall iPhones getting that hot running YouTube on past models, even if they got a little warm before. Plus, the battery drain is very apparent as well. Something is unusual about all of this.

Reactions: Pascal325
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.