Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
You continue to have an arguement that you seem to have no clue about. You post a wrong link that means nothing about the issue we are currently having. This all started with iOS 11. My whole family has never had an issue in years with Youtube. This again started with iOS 11.

Please stop posting until you do your own research.

I’m saying my iPhone 7 burned up on iOS10 while using the YouTube app.

WednesdayAntoinette

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017
People have experienced that issue as well if you do a search. I️ experienced high battery drain while using the app in iOS10. This is definitely a YouTube app problem, not an iOS one.

I never said people haven’t experienced the issue you are talking about in your comment. I am aware that there are people who have experienced high battery drain before the updates, but as I said: in this particular thread, the people who are experiencing high battery drain with YouTube never had this problem before iOS 11, therefore it makes sense that we are speculating it to be a iOS 11 problem because it correlates with our experience. As another person has pointed out, they have experienced other video type apps including Netflix causing high battery drain, I have also had battery related problems with FaceTime since the iOS 11 update. This would indicate that it may well be an Apple problem rather than every other app developer’s problem.

Furthermore Apple are known for being very secretive about problems and bugs that cause users problems, they tend to hush it up until enough Apple users post things to forums, they don’t inform people about product recalls and leave people to find out this information for themselves when they are experiencing issues.

I understand that what you are saying is also an issue, but there are also numerous articles and forum posts online which compare the battery life from iOS 10 users to iOS 11 users, and the latter group experienced a much shorter battery life in general. This is why I am speculating that it is an Apple problem rather than a YouTube one. As I also said before, the thread posts that you linked were relating to battery drain caused by YouTube background activity. The people in THIS thread have been having issues with rapid battery drain while watching a video(s) within the YouTube app.

Last edited:

rattler

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
I’ve had the same problem since last week or so on my iPhone 7 Plus. It was fine when I first installed iOS 11 so I’m assuming it’s a problem with the YouTube app. After 15 minutes or so my phone starts getting unusually hot. I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling YouTube but the problem persists

Freezer001

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Just checking in to report massive battery drain and heat issues. I’m on 11.1.1. Watched 10 minutes of video and lost nearly 20% battery and phone became very hot. The heat is very noticeably permeating my Apple leather case.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
About 2 weeks ago I had the same issue. YouTube app made my 6s on 10.3.3 really hot so I deleted it. Re-downloaded the app and happy to report the issue has been fixed for me. No excessive heat on 15-min video viewed just now at 720p60 :)

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
There’s no massive battery drain, but I’ve notice my iPhone X gets extremely hot when watching YouTube videos.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I never said people haven’t experienced the issue you are talking about in your comment. I am aware that there are people who have experienced high battery drain before the updates, but as I said: in this particular thread, the people who are experiencing high battery drain with YouTube never had this problem before iOS 11, therefore it makes sense that we are speculating it to be a iOS 11 problem because it correlates with our experience. As another person has pointed out, they have experienced other video type apps including Netflix causing high battery drain, I have also had battery related problems with FaceTime since the iOS 11 update. This would indicate that it may well be an Apple problem rather than every other app developer’s problem.

Furthermore Apple are known for being very secretive about problems and bugs that cause users problems, they tend to hush it up until enough Apple users post things to forums, they don’t inform people about product recalls and leave people to find out this information for themselves when they are experiencing issues.

I understand that what you are saying is also an issue, but there are also numerous articles and forum posts online which compare the battery life from iOS 10 users to iOS 11 users, and the latter group experienced a much shorter battery life in general. This is why I am speculating that it is an Apple problem rather than a YouTube one. As I also said before, the thread posts that you linked were relating to battery drain caused by YouTube background activity. The people in THIS thread have been having issues with rapid battery drain while watching a video(s) within the YouTube app.

I’ve experienced rapid battery drain while using the YouTube app in iOS10

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
While playing video side by side with the X and 8+, the X definitely gets way hotter.

Not sure about battery life. I’ll have to test it.

avkam

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2014
About 2 weeks ago I had the same issue. YouTube app made my 6s on 10.3.3 really hot so I deleted it. Re-downloaded the app and happy to report the issue has been fixed for me. No excessive heat on 15-min video viewed just now at 720p60 :)
This helped also for me (iPad Air2).

ru-e

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2017
Sweden
I don't have youtube app, but I noticed whatsapp this last 24 hours has been 31 min on screen, and 27min on the background. The last 7 days, whatsapp has been 2,8 Hours on background... wtf?!

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
There was another nondescript update to the YouTube app today... the only thing mentioned in the release notes was support for the iPhone X display - same thing mentioned from the last update. Some limited testing this afternoon seems to show improvement.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
You continue to have an arguement that you seem to have no clue about. You post a wrong link that means nothing about the issue we are currently having. This all started with iOS 11. My whole family has never had an issue in years with Youtube. This again started with iOS 11.

Please stop posting until you do your own research.

Google acknowledged that it’s an issue with the app.

sd13

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Night and day increase in battery life with the new YouTube updated app for me. It went from draining close to 30% per hour to less than half of that. Very happy with the new update and overall battery life is back to normal now for me.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Yep. V12.44. It’s a must have for iOS 11. My iPhone X was getting super hot and draining battery like crazy. Now it’s no longer getting hot and battery is back to normal.

How do we know the update actually fixes it? The dev notes doesn't say anything about battery fixes.

DestinyWonder

Suspended
Nov 12, 2017
Possibly, but it's been a longstanding issue with me prior to iOS11.

You have said that at least 10 times in this thread. No need to keep repeating it. Everyone has already told you it started for them after 11. You are the only one that keeps saying before 11, and your links were not the same issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.