Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Vision Pro App Store launched without a few key apps, such as Netflix, YouTube, and Spotify. A YouTube app could be coming in the future, though, according to a statement the company gave to The Verge.

General-YouTube-Feature-1.jpg

YouTube says that it is "excited" by the Vision Pro launch and that an app is on the company's roadmap, but no timing was provided. YouTube's full statement:
We're excited to see Vision Pro launch and we're supporting it by ensuring YouTube users have a great experience in Safari. We do not have any specific plans to share at this time, but can confirm that a Vision Pro app is on our roadmap.
YouTube and parent company Google have sometimes taken years to adopt new Apple features, so it is entirely unclear when we might actually see a YouTube app for the device. In the meantime, Apollo developer Christian Selig has created an app called "Juno" for watching YouTube on the Vision Pro. Alternatively, YouTube videos can be watched from the Safari browser.

Neither Juno nor YouTube on the web work allow Vision Pro owners to watch YouTube's collection of 360 and 3D videos. An Apple spokesperson told The Verge that this is because the content "was created for devices that do not deliver a high-quality spatial experience."
In some cases, this content could also cause motion discomfort. We've focused our efforts on delivering the best spatial media experience possible including spatial photos and videos, Apple Immersive Video, and 3D movies available on Apple TV.
There is no word on whether YouTube's eventual app will work with its 3D content.

Apple did say that it is working on supporting WebXR content which could eventually allow for YouTube VR videos to be viewable on the web using Safari, but it is still a new standard. WebXR doesn't yet "take full advantage of the power, performance and interaction capabilities of Apple Vision Pro and visionOS," but Apple is contributing to W3C web standards including WebXR.

Article Link: YouTube Claims an Apple Vision Pro App is On the Roadmap

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Not suprise they are already changing their message. Netflix will be next ...

No rush

It's an absolutely tiny addressable market for the foreseeable future
The question is how much new content is YouTube missing out on right now by not supporting the platform.

That must have cost Apple a lot of money. Well, they can afford it.
Just about every review brings up YouTube missing; it isn't a good look for Google.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Apple Vision Pro is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and a very inelegant solution at that.
Sometimes things are created to improve things like entertainment or improve a process. Not everything has to solve a problem. Look at the smartphone, everyone was fine with making phone calls and texting with the current tech of the day.

JordanCautious

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2023
In other words: "We didn't really care about the AVP when Apple announced it in June last year and didn't think it would be worth the development resources so we did nothing for 7 months. But then we saw Juno come out with a paid app that doesn't seem too hard to implement so we'll make an app in the next 6 months".

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Sometimes things are created to improve things like entertainment or improve a process. Not everything has to solve a problem. Look at the smartphone, everyone was fine with making phone calls and texting with the current tech of the day.
100% disagreement. The smartphone solved a problem of converging a computer/web browser, phone, and camera, and it did so very elegantly. As soon as it came out, almost everyone that could afford it, got it.

CookItOff

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2023
Haha, after Youtube is seeing some of these "use cases" videos popping up yesterday, Youtube is like, 'wait wait we may have been hasty in saying we have no plans to make an app for the Vision Pro.'
Also using the Safari browser has the advantaged of using add blockers vs not having it in the App so... money money money.

So many people are doing complete 180s after seeing all the cool things the Vision Pro can do. A lot of us were trying to tell y'all to think outside of the box with this one. ;)

Casey's "use case" video is awesome but, I really like this one.

Last edited:

SamRyouji

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
Haha, after Youtube is seeing some of these use cases videos popping up yesterday, Youtuber is like, 'wait wait we may have been hasty in saying we have no plans to make an app for the Vision Pro.'
Also using the Safari browser has the advantaged of using add blockers vs not having it in the App so... money money money.

So many people are doing complete 180s after seeing all the cool things the Vision Pro can do. A lot of us were trying to tell y'all to think outside of the box with this one. ;)

Casey's "use case" video is awesome but, I really like this one.
That video is superb. I would say it shows the best use case of AVP. Imagine having just AVP and practically no other screens in your house.
Now, the next version needs to have a substantially longer battery life. I do really hope that Apple's 4th iteration would have a battery life as long as M1 MacBook Air.

Edit: I'm an egotistical bastard who loves living a solitary life. The idea of sharing any screen irritates and annoyed me, that's why I entertain the idea of ditching all of my screens with just an AVP.

Last edited:

Chet-NYC

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2017
New York USA
Netflix and Google got more publicity for saying they weren't providing an app than if they had. Also, they've seen the reaction to the device over this past weekend and realize (at least Google has), they better move.
My bet is Netflix has a native app by WWDC in June.

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2021
Not suprise they are already changing their message. Netflix will be next ...

The question is how much new content is YouTube missing out on right now by not supporting the platform.

Just about every review brings up YouTube missing; it isn't a good look for Google.
You want to be the established platform tho, when the space is larger. Those with the capitol should be investing at a loss for a few years to win in the coming.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
100% disagreement. The smartphone solved a problem of converging a computer/web browser, phone, and camera, and it did so very elegantly. As soon as it came out, almost everyone that could afford it, got it.
This was posted Jan 10, 2007: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/changed-my-mind.268568/

Yesterday after seeing the new iphone, I just couldn't wait to get my hands on one. But after having a day to think about it, I decided that I didn't not one at all.

I hate to spend a lot of money on something that I won't hardly use. The only place that I would use it is in my car on trips (hardly ever do that) and at work (I have access to the internet there). So why spend that much money for an iphone?

Yeah I know that when they come out I may change my mind again, but I really don't think that will happen. I could use that money for better things.

End of the day, people are very short-sighted...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.