Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
That is flatly false. The bulk of buzz in the tech world was around the idea of convergence. Devices merged into one master device. Everyone most certainly WAS looking for that solution since they were carrying around too many devices.

Let’s not rush into revisionism when propping up the Vision.

And folks in Apple circles (I was one of them) at the time were begging for Apple to get into the phone space.

There were iPod phone jokes and memes (not sure the term existed yet) nearly from the get go of that device...six years prior to the iPhone launch

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
That is flatly false. The bulk of buzz in the tech world was around the idea of convergence. Devices merged into one master device. Everyone most certainly WAS looking for that solution since they were carrying around too many devices.

Let’s not rush into revisionism when propping up the Vision.

From 2/2007. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/thinking-about-it.277318/
Is the iPhone anything other than just a toy for kids who want to show off and people who like gadgets? As of now I can't see it having any more capabilities than a sidekick does, minus the video capability.

I know that Apple is going for ease of use with a smart phone, but I mean you can make it only so easy before you get locked into an interface that's just built for the sole purpose of baby sitting you so you wont screw up anything.

Maybe I was hoping for too much from it, but I don't really see it as special.

OR

Maybe what Apple is advertising on their site isn't the whole deal and I'll just have to wait and see.
Edit: And everyone knows you hate XR Surf Monkey.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
From 2/2007. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/thinking-about-it.277318/

Edit: And everyone knows you hate XR Surf Monkey.

1) I don’t hate XR. That’s a false charge that people make when they have no real rebuttal.

2) You imagine that post proves something? It doesn’t. It’s pure anecdote.

3) In point of FACT the buzzword on everyone’s tongue in tech circles and beyond was “device convergence.” Apple was the first to accomplish it with iPhone. The idea that no one was asking for something like iPhone is complete nonsense.

Reactions: gusmula

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I certainly was looking for a better way to use the „mobile web“ than my N95 Nokia 😅 the worst was when you clicked the internet button by mistake and you went through your prepaid credits in seconds.

What annoys me the most is that people act like Apple invented floating 2D windows in VR when I have been doing this for months. People also seem to just point out the controls? That’s like saying „oh my mouse works great on the laptop“ okay … but what do you actually DO with it?

I guess one could say, Meta is awful at marketing their product right.

It's hilarious to watch the naysayers knocking the Vision Pro. Apple is not responsible for what "other people" are saying, so you can't knock Apple or the Vision Pro for people's personal words. This is new territory to a lot of people. For myself, this is the first time I've payed attention to VR/AR headsets, even though they've been around for years. But they've never appealed to me since the experience was well-known to be "ok" and mostly leaning towards gaming, which I'm not interested in.

The Vision Pro takes VR/AR to a whole to level of clarity. You mentioned "2D windows in VR", but every video that I've seen show a less-than-ideal experience. Particularly fuzzy text. The Vision Pro doesn't suffer from that.

So it's not really about "what can be done", but how "well" it can be done, and Vision Pro just raised the bar well above what the competition has.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Just about every review brings up YouTube missing; it isn't a good look for Google.
True but I think it says more about Apple... at least the reviews I saw were more concerned about how Apple hasn't done itself favours with how it has treated the developer community.

Reactions: cardfan

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I owned the first iPhone and waited in line to buy it on day one. I can post these comments all day long because it is not just one post.

So what? You’re still engaged in drastic revisionism.

And for the record, I also owned the iPod and iPhone on their respective release days. Immaterial.

In fact device convergence was something people wanted. Lots of people. The entire tech sector had been talking about it basically non stop since around 2000-2001.

So I’d suggest you save some time and stop trying to prove a false point.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
I owned the first iPhone and waited in line to buy it on day one. I can post these comments all day long because it is not just one post.

The desire for a device that converged several into one was something desired from 2001 and on

This is WHY Steve Jobs got up on stage and presented the iPhone as he did

Look up the video if you need to..

"An iPod, a phone and internet communicator. An iPod, a phone, are you getting it?"
-SJ presenting the iPhone on stage

"After Jobs repeated the list of new devices several times, he broke the pattern and said, “An iPod, a phone—are you getting it? These are not three separate devices. This is one device. And we are calling it iPhone,” Jobs finally revealed."

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
You absolutely need to try it.

I was a skeptic like you. I trashed it everywhere and memed about it. Now I own one.

The demo was that good.
god damn dude, got me hype for my demo tomorrow 😂

ahh Google, consistently not caring until they see the dollar signs. another day where the sky is blue!

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
True but I think it says more about Apple... at least the reviews I saw were more concerned about how Apple hasn't done itself favours with how it has treated the developer community.
And yet AVP has been out four or so days and Google is already changing their message.

truth_speech

Suspended
Jan 27, 2024
In other words: "We didn't really care about the AVP when Apple announced it in June last year and didn't think it would be worth the development resources so we did nothing for 7 months. But then we saw Juno come out with a paid app that doesn't seem too hard to implement so we'll make an app in the next 6 months".
I am pretty sure Google can change 1 line of code and Juno will stop working. They aren't really worried about a random developer making a web wrapper.

Google has many faults but being petty and arrogant to others is uncharacteristic for them. (Unless you are Microsoft, but that's what you get for running a 'Scroogled' campaign).

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
The desire for a device that converged several into one was something desired from 2001 and on

This is WHY Steve Jobs got up on stage and presented the iPhone as he did

Look up the video if you need to..

"An iPod, a phone and internet communicator. An iPod, a phone, are you getting it?"
-SJ presenting the iPhone on stage

"After Jobs repeated the list of new devices several times, he broke the pattern and said, “An iPod, a phone—are you getting it? These are not three separate devices. This is one device. And we are calling it iPhone,” Jobs finally revealed."
I watched that keynote and was in awe. I was desperate for the device and have had an iPhone, IPhone 3G/3GS/4/5/5S/6/XS and 13 Pro, and I’m probably going to have another iPhone when I’m ready for my upgrade.

Vision Pro is a completely different thing altogether. I am happy that people are enjoying it so much that they’re here arguing about it with “haters”.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
sounds like they didn't like 3rd party version and only wanted in when someone else stepped up.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
You absolutely need to try it.

I was a skeptic like you. I trashed it everywhere and memed about it. Now I own one.

The demo was that good.

I did the demo today at Louisville while waiting for an AirPod exchange as they had plenty of spots open. The tech is cool, but it's absolutely not worth what they are charging...maybe the physical tech is worth that much, but the utility isn't.

I'm good with my iPhone, Mac and large living room TV.

Last edited:

truth_speech

Suspended
Jan 27, 2024
And yet AVP has been out four or so days and Google is already changing their message.
They never said that they wouldn't create an app.

I's currently in their roadmap but I am pretty sure it would come at the same time as their own XR device which will launch at the end of 2024.

3xBoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2020
100% disagreement. The smartphone solved a problem of converging a computer/web browser, phone, and camera, and it did so very elegantly. As soon as it came out, almost everyone that could afford it, got it.
You should write a book on history revisionism.

Reactions: spazzcat

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
They never said that they wouldn't create an app.

I's currently in their roadmap but I am pretty sure it would come at the same time as their own XR device which will launch at the end of 2024.
YouTube and Spotify do not plan to offer apps on the Vision Pro headset, according to a new report from Bloomberg. YouTube said that it is not developing a YouTube Vision Pro app, nor will it allow the YouTube iPad app to run on the device.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
YouTube and Spotify do not plan to offer apps on the Vision Pro headset, according to a new report from Bloomberg. YouTube said that it is not developing a YouTube Vision Pro app, nor will it allow the YouTube iPad app to run on the device.

Have you read the first post of the thread you're currently in?

truth_speech

Suspended
Jan 27, 2024
Yes, which shows they are chagning from we are not creating an AVP app to it is on our roadmap. That is a big change in their stands from a few weeks ago.
It wouldn't have been in their roadmap if it weren't successful, and it still isn't as it's still currently in the hype phase.

Netflix hasn't declared anything yet neither Spotify, their reactions will come a bit later after the hype phase has passed.

However, Google has no beef with Apple and the two of them have been partners for a long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.