Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I think AVP is an awesome device and I really look forward to future revisions... but are we all just going to sit on a plane, a train... or elsewhere with a device strapped on our heads? blocking out our surroundings, other people...

There is a time and place for AVP, and there's not a time and place for AVP.

Safety and awareness... first, and foremost.

I am not against AVP at all.... as soon as it's available in the region I'm currently living and the cost comes down I'll get one for movies etc. I'll have to see about other uses... including YouTube... but I have to be honest, where YouTube is involved I sometimes watch it for advice and instructions for hobbies while physically working on something etc.

I will just hope they keep on developing it until its an unobtrusive technology, where a version can be incorporated into spectacles etc and come with safety features etc and thats when Id wear it in public

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Haha, after Youtube is seeing some of these "use cases" videos popping up yesterday, Youtube is like, 'wait wait we may have been hasty in saying we have no plans to make an app for the Vision Pro.'
Also using the Safari browser has the advantaged of using add blockers vs not having it in the App so... money money money.

So many people are doing complete 180s after seeing all the cool things the Vision Pro can do. A lot of us were trying to tell y'all to think outside of the box with this one. ;)

Casey's "use case" video is awesome but, I really like this one.

Yep... So many people apparently love to keep their imagination and curiosity safely locked away in a closet.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Apple Vision Pro is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and a very inelegant solution at that.

This is a Version 1.0 product in a new space for Apple. Version 1.0.

The amount of tech packed into the Vision Pro would not fit into something "more elegant". Sure, there are AR glasses out there that look similar to sunglasses, but that's a totally different ballpark from what Vision Pro is. Cant really compare.

A lot of emphasis is put onto "consumption" of content, and combined with the price, yah that will get some people's panties in a bunch. It would be an expensive and unnecessary device just for consumption.

But what can be done on the Vision Pro can _not_ be done on flat 2-D screens. It's a 3-D space.

One of the beauties of the Mac (going back to 1984) is that it "objectified" computing, bringing computing closer to the familiar physical world that we all know. Files were organized into "folders" that look like folders. You "open" a folder to see the files. You toss files into the Trash bin. Vision Pro takes this to a whole new level! Objects actually have "real" 3-D characteristics.

We've barely seen what is possible. Vision Pro is a gateway to a whole new computing experience. It's not about trying to solve problems. It's about creating the next era of computing, with more dimensions.

swm

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2013
hope they'll figure out a way to bump up the brightness when playing ads the same way as they do it with the volume

Reactions: snek

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
hope they'll figure out a way to bump up the brightness when playing ads the same way as they do it with the volume

...watching a sponsor hit..

images

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
I love that is can natively run the other apps while having a main app via the computer.

One thing I want to know is can you pin an app horizontally? Can I stick something on a desktop?
Notes would be obvious.
Plans
Sketches to refer to
Secondary keyboard ( I find it a little insane that the keyboards are so small - no numbered even )
Hell bring back the Touch Bar!!! imagine it on a desktop.
FCP editing timeline environment. on the desktop.

Also can multiple people use the same environment? Can I edit with someone else remotely as though they are next to me? THAT is the killer app use.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Haha, after Youtube is seeing some of these "use cases" videos popping up yesterday, Youtube is like, 'wait wait we may have been hasty in saying we have no plans to make an app for the Vision Pro.'
Also using the Safari browser has the advantaged of using add blockers vs not having it in the App so... money money money.

So many people are doing complete 180s after seeing all the cool things the Vision Pro can do. A lot of us were trying to tell y'all to think outside of the box with this one. ;)

Casey's "use case" video is awesome but, I really like this one.

It's totally mind-blowing crazy how windows stay exactly where they are "pinned" in the physical world. That's gotta take some serious computing chops.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
In other words: "We didn't really care about the AVP when Apple announced it in June last year and didn't think it would be worth the development resources so we did nothing for 7 months. But then we saw Juno come out with a paid app that doesn't seem too hard to implement so we'll make an app in the next 6 months".
Bingo. This is spot on. Lol.

Reactions: gund1234

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
Gotta say, I did the 30 minute demo at Apple today.

This is gonna be a big deal one day. Not at $3500 it won't be, but in some future mass-market $899 or $1499 option, absolutely.

People called me an idiot for buying massive amounts of Apple stock at $0.15 in 2001 when I was in high school. They're pretty quiet these days. Never bet against Apple to disrupt a market.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
They won't let you close your eyes... they will have a version that holds your eyes open

and if you fall asleep, a Taptic Engine will start tapping the side of your head to wake up

Oh no... this could actually be used for interrogations etc :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: Blackstick

CookItOff

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2023
It's totally mind-blowing crazy how windows stay exactly where they are "pinned" in the physical world. That's gotta take some serious computing chops.
I was thinking the same. The guy goes to the other side of the house and comes back to the living room, which was not in view by the Vision Pro, and the apps are still locked in place. Crazy cool.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
No one was looking for that in everyday life, and businesses already had Blackberries.

I certainly was looking for a better way to use the „mobile web“ than my N95 Nokia 😅 the worst was when you clicked the internet button by mistake and you went through your prepaid credits in seconds.

What annoys me the most is that people act like Apple invented floating 2D windows in VR when I have been doing this for months. People also seem to just point out the controls? That’s like saying „oh my mouse works great on the laptop“ okay … but what do you actually DO with it?

I guess one could say, Meta is awful at marketing their product right.

• Disagree
Reactions: coolfactor

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I love that is can natively run the other apps while having a main app via the computer.

One thing I want to know is can you pin an app horizontally? Can I stick something on a desktop?
Notes would be obvious.
Plans
Sketches to refer to
Secondary keyboard ( I find it a little insane that the keyboards are so small - no numbered even )

Yes, ARKit already knows about "planes" (surfaces) and objects can be aligned with those surfaces. That's how virtual cars drive along the floor and around your furniture, for example. You will be able to lay a virtual document on a real tabletop, and it will stay there.

Also can multiple people use the same environment? Can I edit with someone else remotely as though they are next to me? THAT is the killer app use.

Yes. Remember that the Vision Pro can do everything our computers can already do, but brings that into a 3-D space. Collaboration is already possible today with our computers.

3-D avatars will evolve. Colleagues will be able to "walk into" a room where you are. We've seen evidence of this "location awareness" when people wearing a Vision Pro are in a moving vehicle, and open up a window. That window goes flying away because it remains stationary to where it was opened.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
No one was looking for that in everyday life, and businesses already had Blackberries.

That is flatly false. The bulk of buzz in the tech world was around the idea of convergence. Devices merged into one master device. Everyone most certainly WAS looking for that solution since they were carrying around too many devices.

Let’s not rush into revisionism when propping up the Vision.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I certainly was looking for a better way to use the „mobile web“ than my N95 Nokia 😅 the worst was when you clicked the internet button by mistake and you went through your prepaid credits in seconds.

What annoys me the most is that people act like Apple invented floating 2D windows in VR when I have been doing this for months. People also seem to just point out the controls? That’s like saying „oh my mouse works great on the laptop“ okay … but what do you actually DO with it?

I guess one could say, Meta is awful at marketing their product right.
No one thinks that Apple is typically not the first to enter a new space.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Gotta say, I did the 30 minute demo at Apple today.

This is gonna be a big deal one day. Not at $3500 it won't be, but in some future mass-market $899 or $1499 option, absolutely.

People called me an idiot for buying massive amounts of Apple stock at $0.15 in 2001 when I was in high school. They're pretty quiet these days. Never bet against Apple to disrupt a market.
I think there will certainly be a place for this tech, and still also external displays...

Once cost comes down, and they are much more viable (reliable/robust), for mass market to consumers, the mixed reality area will be a massive change and be a huge industry.

I mean eventually people will probably be wearing headsets while driving cars for manual control.. and the headset intelligently aiding your driving, warning of dangers etc... when the car isn't driving, thats is.

There are so many applications and as the tech miniaturizes people will look back at this first headset and think... what! you wore that huge thing? It only lasted a few hours? Its cost how much?

Reactions: Blackstick
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.