Zune HD now available for preorder!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gan6660, Aug 11, 2009.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Amazon has listed the Zune HD for preorder. Its $220 for the 16gb which comes in black and $290 for the 32gb which comes in platinum.

2. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I wonder why they don't give a choice of colour?

I feel the platinium is the nicer of the two, so I guess it makes sense to use this on the more expensive model.

The Zune HD does look very, very nice. It is a shame for Microsoft that they couldn't keep the prices under wraps until after Apple's announcements.

Apple still have plenty of time to adjust now. It is good for all of use as consumers, but in terms of strategy, Microsoft will probably be furious these prices have leaked.

3. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Personally I like the black model best and Im happy it is the cheaper one. I think apple's prices were going to change anyway with a discontinued 8gb model.

4. cenetti macrumors 6502

Oh yeaw... Very good pricing...
    32GB for me... and all you can eat subscription buffet... :cool:
    Pure sexiness...

Better get that bootcamp partition ready... :D

5. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Zoon!

What on earth where they thinking when they named that turd!

Prices aren't too shabby, though I can't say I'd ever consider touching one without lab gloves and anosmia.

6. cenetti macrumors 6502

Who cares..:rolleyes: You're in UK.. you people won't even get one probably ...
    pfft!

I love how you can flick your finger get the volume/track controls on the whole screen. Ipod/Iphone ipod controls suck! try to change a track during a run... or even driving... :mad:

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

At least this confirms Apple's entry level iPod touch will be 16 GB.

Like last year, when Apple was going to pawn of 4GB iPod Nanos again for $150 but days before had to stop production because Microsoft annouced $150 8GB Zunes. Thank God for competition (even though Zunes are horrible, Apple needs a good kick in the pants).

8. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I have no problem changing track when running on my iPod Nano. Newer Nanos have controls on the earphones as well. Very nice. You should get one, zooon's a bit big for an exercise MP3 player :p

9. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Better pre-order yours now or they will be sold out in the first few hours. Oh wait, its a Zune. Take your time, they will still be available at Christmas time.

10. cenetti macrumors 6502

Well... It's smaller than ipod touch/iphone... and since they both have ipod functionality and nike+ software... obviously they're made to use during exercise...

maybe I should get a shuffle... what you think ? I don't even have to deal with a screen... one button does it all ? ...

11. hashholly macrumors 6502

When it comes to price, wouldnt be surprised that the new intro iPod Touch comes in at 16, 32, and 64gb flavors at current 8, 16, and 32gb prices.

That being said, I will admit that the Zune has some very nice specs including that OLED screen, and that terga chip may come in very nicely for gaming on the Zune. I dont expect this to affect Apple's market share one bit. i can see companies like Sandisk, Creative and Cowon worrying about this though.

12. cenetti macrumors 6502

13. beg_ne macrumors 6502

The Zune has so much going against it. I can't imagine they'll hardly sell any, especially at just $9 difference.

Also I would guess while that OLED screen looks great in a dimly lit bar it will probably suck in the Sunlight.

While I would like to have OLED on iPod I only want it if it's actually a good screen and I can use it when I'm walking on the street in the afternoon and not just in my room with all the lights off at midnight.

14. Axl Rose macrumors regular

uhhh oled screen is great outside

15. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I agree. I think the only people who will go for the Zune are pure Apple-haters (they are a minority). But I hope the Zune becomes popular and maybe puts pressure on Apple to innovate some more.

Also, the Zune doesn't have the great iTunes/iPod integration (best in the industry). It's basically the easiest thing to get/install an app if you ever used iTunes; there's only ONE application you need to organize music, movies, videos, and getting apps.

I think Windows has a "Marketplace" - I don't know if it's integrated into there Zune desktop app (which I think is weird that Microsoft doesn't just use Windows Media Player, no wondering they're losing the portable game).

16. cenetti macrumors 6502

I just stopped right here...

I have a MacPRo, macbook pro, iphone 2g, 3g, Ipod touch 1st gen, 3 ipod nanos (different gens) .... yeah I hate APPLE... lmao...

I 'll buy one the day it comes out... you know why? Because it looks better than my ipod touch... that's why. :D

17. Lancing macrumors member

Having used a couple of devices with OLED it makes an absolutely huge difference.

You can't really get an a good idea from the screen shots and videos because your monitor is limiting the colors and visual quality of the display but if you see it in person there is no comparison with the older LCD tech at all.

OLED is the future for high end touch screen devices period.

18. cenetti macrumors 6502

OLED sucks donkey #$%^ until Apple puts it in their devices... then it's revolutionary .... don't ya know that ?

Oh fanboiz ... :rolleyes:

19. Lancing macrumors member

I feel like I'm in the minority here but theres a group of people out there who like my don't operate on pure blind brand loyalty. I research the electronics I'm interested in and buy the device that best suits my needs. I don't care if it comes from Apple, Microsoft or Creative as long as it meets my needs.

Additionally yes competition is good for everyone even the Apple/Microsoft indoctrinated. Your blood sworn devices will advance faster and be available cheaper if theres strong competition out there.

On the Zune HD itself, I won't be getting one as it doesn't meet all the requirements I've decided for my next PMP (I'll probably end up getting a Zii) but it does have Zune pass.

Zune Pass:
    Download all the music you want for approx $15 a month. Plus you get to keep up to 10 songs per month perminately as non-DRM'd MP3's.

20. Lancing macrumors member

It actually terrifies me that there people that blinded and brainwashed by corporate marketing out there.

21. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

WHY is this thread here? :confused:

i thought this forums were for apple products?:D

zune who?:mad:

22. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Zune HD is like owning a fake-Ferrari. It looks good but once you get in, you find it has no steering wheel, no engine, the seats split and you realize you are actually at the mall on a kiddie ride.

iPod touch is like owning a real Pagani Zondaf. Real engine, real chassis, real steering wheel and 60,000+ apps that work.

23. cenetti macrumors 6502

Zune the pure holy sexiness.... kneel down you ipod lover you... :D

24. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Let's do some math:

$15 for 10 songs is $1.50 per song. Quality stinks, more expensive, and you have to pay monthly.

iTunes charges $.69, $.99, and $1.29 for songs, depending on the music label company. iTunes Plus 256kbps quality, non-DRM, cheaper, and no monthly commitment. And you get to own what you buy.

If I had the math skills of a third grader, I'd choose iTunes. I actually get to own what I buy and spend much less $$.

25. Lancing macrumors member

I don't think you understood.

Its unlimited songs, just 10 you can keep and transfer to other devices. The DRM locks out all the others so they're only good on the Zune they were downloaded onto.

Additionally you can still buy other songs if you want other non-DRM locked songs. Only nice because you can basiclly go through a massive list of music and load your player up every month with anything you want.