Zune HD vs. iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Firestar, Oct 6, 2010.

?

Zune HD or iPod Touch

1. Zune HD

10 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. iPod Touch

120 vote(s)
    90.2%
  3. Neither...... Just in case.

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Just wanted to know what your thoughts were.

I know most of you will say Touch but you have to consider that the apps are not the device.

2. i-am-waiting macrumors member

3. Firestar thread starter macrumors 68020

Firestar

Well, considering this isn't the iPhone forum....

4. i-am-waiting macrumors member

Well, ok... but the iPod 4 was also a very big improvement, A4, retina, etc...

5. Firestar thread starter macrumors 68020

Firestar

Yes I know. But this is more of a gaming aspect, and not a music aspect, which is the main purpose of both of these devices. :)

I am asking that people will vote based on overall device, not the apps available.

6. felt. macrumors 6502a

My friend has a zune hd and I hate it. That is all

7. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I've heard it said that the Zune is great for music, but I don't see anything wrong with the iPod touch -- I don't know which is better as I've never used a Zune, but the iPod touch has the better specs. I voted for iPod touch.

8. Firestar thread starter macrumors 68020

Firestar

Awesome. I guess I shouldn't have even expected the Zune HD had a slight chance of hope, among all you iPod and Mac users. :rolleyes:

9. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

That's a bit rude... I said I'd heard the Zune HD was great for music, and from someone who doesn't own one, that's probably the best you'll get.

Honestly, aside from the music subscription which looks interesting/good, at the end of the day, you click play on a song, and it plays. Why not get the better device -- assuming you don't mind paying an extra $70 (compared on amazon).

10. kepner macrumors 6502

I had a Zune HD for awhile. It was OK. The Zune Pass subscription was great. When I got an iPhone 4, I decided I no longer wanted to carry around a separate music playing device, so I subscribed to the Rhapsody app on the iPhone.

The Zune HD's browser, apps, and app marketplace is terrible, so, don't expect it to do much other than play music and video.

11. Firestar thread starter macrumors 68020

Firestar

I didn't think that was rude. All I said was that you Apple users probably haven't used the Zune HD, and you probably have or have used an iPod, so your obvious choice would be an iPod. I didn't mean to sound rude. Sorry if I was. :eek::)
    I wasn't expecting anything. I've used one before. I was wanting to know your thoughts. :)

12. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Just out of curiousity ...
    You asked this question on a forum titled MACrumors. Full of many Apple fanatics. You knew this.

What exactly did you think the majority would say? :rolleyes:

13. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Ah, it didn't come across that way. If you weren't intending it to be rude, then I take it back. It's all good.

14. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I've been a heavy Zune user from the very beginning. But I just recently gave away all of my Zune peripherals (quite an extensive collection) and traded my Zune devices in (Best Buy's online trade-in program) and replaced the whole sh'bang with a 64GB iPod Touch 4G. Primarily because I bought a Macbook Pro earlier this year and managing a Zune on a Mac is a royal pain.

The Zune HD was an extremely nice portable media player. The thing that set it apart from every other portable player, and the thing that I miss the most, is the QuickView screen. The QV screen allows one to "pin" playlists, albums, podcasts, tracks, videos, etc. for easy access. Having the ability to have a custom mix of media so easily accessible was a great feature.

The Zune desktop software as a media manager is heads-n-shoulders above iTunes. It manages and syncs photos, music, and videos extremely well whereas iTunes primarily focuses on music (with photo and video syncing/management being minimal). The Zune software is a resource pig and the only way to get reasonable performance is to turn off the enhanced visuals.

The Zune devices lack function and features that are pretty basic... no speaker, no alarm, no sleep timer.

Ideally, I'd like to have an iPod Touch w/QuickView that is managed by a native OSX-version of the Zune software.

15. wolfboy macrumors regular

Except the apps IS the device and arguably the lack of it on the ZuneHD is what's "killed" it as any sort of competitor. There's a reason you have 5 screens for hundreds of apps and only a single icon to play your music. Even as a music player it's better, iPod has a Pandora app, gapless playback, and speakers.

16. Chronite macrumors newbie

I own both a Zune HD 32GB and a 64GB 4th gen iPod touch. I've had the touch for just about a week now and I'd have to say it is just an all around better device. About the only advantage the Zune has is the quality of black levels on the screen, but the iPod makes up for it with the much higher resolution IMO. As far as sound quality goes, they both sound fantastic with my Klipsch S4 earbuds. If I had to chose one the iPod gets my vote.

17. Firestar thread starter macrumors 68020

Firestar

I was obviously expecting the most to pick the obvious answer. Like I said, I was just wondering. :)
    :)
    The app is not the device. You can go without an app. But I would rather not get into a fight over something so ridiculous. :)

18. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

you're missing the point by excluding the apps. this is a competitive advantage. what good is superior hardware and even UI if you can't practically apply them to anything?

19. Firestar thread starter macrumors 68020

Firestar

I know that that is a competitive advantage. I know that that is why the iPod Touch is by far outselling the Zune. I am addressing the product itself, not the apps it can run. :)

20. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

21. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

I'm a Zune 30 owner and I pick Sansa Clip+ :D

Between the touch and Zune, the touch is the better device because it's a pocket PC. Since audio is the media I'm mostly into, I wouldn't buy either one for media playback. They're too big and too expensive. That's why I own the Clip+. It's the best MP3 player I've ever owned.

On the other hand, if I need a pocket PC, the touch is the hands down winner.

22. Firestar thread starter macrumors 68020

Firestar

I own the Zune 30 also, and think it is an excellent device. I got it for $90, and it has 30GB of storage. I think that's a good deal, but it's not a very stylish device. :(

23. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

It's great for videos; and I like its size and style much better than the touch.

24. SidBala macrumors 6502a

If you plan on using it for just music, ZuneHD wins hands down. The Zune Pass subscription model is awesome and is way better than the iTunes model. The device itself has a tuned interface for music.

I wish there was a Zune app for the iPhone.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Windows Phone comes out. Cause the Zune on Windows Phone is totally awesome.

However, if you are looking for not just music, then iPod Touch is probably the way to go. Faster hardware, high-res screen, camera, etc.

25. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I have six iPods, including a second gen Touch, as well as the Zune HD. I voted for the Touch because I prefer iTunes, but I think that is mainly because I'm so used to it.

The Zune HD absolutely produces better sound quality for music than any of my iPods. The HD is quite attractive, and integration with Xbox 360 is a nice option I have yet to try. If you want, I can try it out and give you my opinion about it.

I didn't know I could sync it on my Mac! But I have a pc too, so not really an issue for me. Oh, one more thing! Most of my music is purchased from iTunes, and I'm way too lazy to rip/transfer it, so that also factored into my voting for the Touch.

If you don't care about apps or the new features on the 4th gen Touch, (camera, video, etc.), I think you would be happy with the Zune HD. The OLED screen is quite nice for on the go video, and the subscription service is top notch if that's a factor.

I use my Touch like a PDA, so I think it's mostly about what your priorities are. Good luck with whatever you choose. :)