Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

drawsomething-150x152.jpg

Social game-maker Zynga has agreed to acquire OMGPOP, the development house behind the incredibly popular Draw Something. The acquisition price is reported to be $180 million plus $30 million in employee retention payments, according to Peter Kafka at All Things D, though Zynga isn't confirming that number.
OMGPOP brings to Zynga an incredible team of industry veterans and a community of highly engaged players. It's a great industry example of creating games around the ethos of giving people a place to play, meet and make friends. OMGPOP's existing mobile and platform games will not change. We fully support what they've built to date, and we're going to work hard to give Draw Something and all of their games the resources and tools they need to grow and flourish.

Dan Porter has built an amazing team and culture at OMGPop, and I can't wait to see what that team builds next. We think we can amplify their efforts, and we're going to work together to make sure that more players love more of their games, both in the current stable of titles, and new IP we'll see in the future.
Draw Something has shot to the top of the App Store charts since it was released six weeks ago, logging 35 million downloads. Last week alone, Draw Something recorded more than 1 billion drawings.

Draw Something is available as a universal app, in a free ad-supported edition and a $0.99 ad-free version. [Direct Links: $0.99/Free]

Article Link: Zynga Buys 'Draw Something' Maker OMGPOP for $200 Million

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Heard this a little bit ago. Holy crap. Zynga is to iOS development companies as Apple is to tech companies right now.
Also, way to make it big almost overnight. Kudos.

Slightly on-topic, I draw a much better stick figure now than I did two weeks ago.
Thanks, OMGPOP.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Heard this a little bit ago. Holy crap. Zynga is to iOS development companies as Apple is to tech companies right now.

Slightly on-topic, I draw a much better stick figure now than I did two weeks ago.
Thanks, OMGPOP.

More like they are the EA of iOS development.

tyrnight

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2007
Great.. now its all gonna go to ****.... ZYNGA, keep you filthy paws off my clean apes(apps)

sincerely,
the rest of civilization.

porky

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
BELGIUM

Thanks, OMGPOP.

Maybe we need a ..... STYLUS :eek:

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
Draw Something was pretty buggy and lacked a lot of really cool features. Hopefully Zynga will make those improvements and give it that "with friends" quality.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I love this game. But, some of the words are impossible to just "draw" with images. You have to actualy provide more substantial clues.

It's beginning to repeat as well. It needs to have more words. Also, it has some bugs.

milhouse994

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Draw Something was pretty buggy and lacked a lot of really cool features. Hopefully Zynga will make those improvements and give it that "with friends" quality.

Yeah, I have to agree. It's a fun game but it feels like a lot of time was spent on look and feel and not a lot on game play. It's pretty buggy and I'm on round 99 (which I've been stuck at for about 20 rounds) which appears to be the limit, it just keeps reloading round 99 with different words...

The game needs an objective and some scoring at the very least.

bartszyszka

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2004
New York, NY
Charadium?

Why is this game blowing up all of a sudden? Charadium has been around for a long time and it's really similar, except it has more playing modes, and ways to warn/kick out people who write words out.

pennfieldactor

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2012
because if there's one thing that Draw Something was missing, it's the glacier slow ads that come up whenever you play your turn.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
What does Zynga have to gain from this? They already have experienced app developers and could have cloned this in a few months if they wanted to. I cannot see how they will make $200,000,000 back from this game. Especially as others say - it's lacking the features many others have, particularly competitive play.

Last edited:

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I called this the day I downloaded it. Considering how many bugs it has I figured Zynga would buy it and call it "Drawing With Friends."

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
love this game, how did i ever make it through lectures without it

but Zynga eeeek ... WHY WHY WHY. here comes the "Buy this crap to score extra crap to do this crap faster and add a billion friends before you can continue"

Durendal

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
Wait a minute, Zynga actually bought the company instead of making deliberate and blatant ripoffs of their products and then shoving them out of business? Did the universe just turn inside-out?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Congrats to OMGOP! You got bought instead of ripped off. Zynga was going to take your work one way or another.

Now wait for it get 6 million 5 star reviews that say “ADD ME THX.”

(I still like Quick Draw. Have to go see if people are still playing that.)

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Why all the Zynga hate? Perhaps Zynga will improve it so it takes <1 hour to load, doesn't repeat words, and actually has an objective?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.