Zynga Buys 'Draw Something' Maker OMGPOP for $200 Million

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 21, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Social game-maker Zynga has agreed to acquire OMGPOP, the development house behind the incredibly popular Draw Something. The acquisition price is reported to be $180 million plus $30 million in employee retention payments, according to Peter Kafka at All Things D, though Zynga isn't confirming that number.
    Draw Something has shot to the top of the App Store charts since it was released six weeks ago, logging 35 million downloads. Last week alone, Draw Something recorded more than 1 billion drawings.

Draw Something is available as a universal app, in a free ad-supported edition and a $0.99 ad-free version. [Direct Links: $0.99/Free]

Article Link: Zynga Buys 'Draw Something' Maker OMGPOP for $200 Million

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Heard this a little bit ago. Holy crap. Zynga is to iOS development companies as Apple is to tech companies right now.
    Also, way to make it big almost overnight. Kudos.

Slightly on-topic, I draw a much better stick figure now than I did two weeks ago.
    Thanks, OMGPOP.

3. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

4. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

More like they are the EA of iOS development.

5. tyrnight macrumors member

Great.. now its all gonna go to ****.... ZYNGA, keep you filthy paws off my clean apes(apps)

sincerely,
    the rest of civilization.

6. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

Agree.

Also expect it to have no new features but become bloated and buggy for no apparent reason.

7. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Are you sure? I don't hear anyone ever talk about EA, regarless of their cash-on-hand.

8. porky macrumors regular

Maybe we need a ..... STYLUS :eek:

9. slb macrumors 6502

10. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

Draw Something was pretty buggy and lacked a lot of really cool features. Hopefully Zynga will make those improvements and give it that "with friends" quality.

11. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

It is a pity that they are not staying independent, but it is better than them being cloned.

12. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I love this game. But, some of the words are impossible to just "draw" with images. You have to actualy provide more substantial clues.

It's beginning to repeat as well. It needs to have more words. Also, it has some bugs.

13. milhouse994 macrumors regular

Yeah, I have to agree. It's a fun game but it feels like a lot of time was spent on look and feel and not a lot on game play. It's pretty buggy and I'm on round 99 (which I've been stuck at for about 20 rounds) which appears to be the limit, it just keeps reloading round 99 with different words...

The game needs an objective and some scoring at the very least.

14. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Agreed, this is one of the more poorly written apps I've come across. Very buggy.

15. bartszyszka macrumors member

bartszyszka

Charadium?

Why is this game blowing up all of a sudden? Charadium has been around for a long time and it's really similar, except it has more playing modes, and ways to warn/kick out people who write words out.

16. pennfieldactor macrumors newbie

because if there's one thing that Draw Something was missing, it's the glacier slow ads that come up whenever you play your turn.

17. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Why not just don't update the app?

18. mms13 macrumors 6502

Draw something is such a ******, badly developed app...it really blows my mind how its gotten so popular.

19. neiltc13, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

What does Zynga have to gain from this? They already have experienced app developers and could have cloned this in a few months if they wanted to. I cannot see how they will make $200,000,000 back from this game. Especially as others say - it's lacking the features many others have, particularly competitive play.

20. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I called this the day I downloaded it. Considering how many bugs it has I figured Zynga would buy it and call it "Drawing With Friends."

21. bushido Suspended

bushido

love this game, how did i ever make it through lectures without it

but Zynga eeeek ... WHY WHY WHY. here comes the "Buy this crap to score extra crap to do this crap faster and add a billion friends before you can continue"

22. Durendal macrumors 6502

Wait a minute, Zynga actually bought the company instead of making deliberate and blatant ripoffs of their products and then shoving them out of business? Did the universe just turn inside-out?

23. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Congrats to OMGOP! You got bought instead of ripped off. Zynga was going to take your work one way or another.

Now wait for it get 6 million 5 star reviews that say “ADD ME THX.”

(I still like Quick Draw. Have to go see if people are still playing that.)

24. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

Why all the Zynga hate? Perhaps Zynga will improve it so it takes <1 hour to load, doesn't repeat words, and actually has an objective?