Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kramerica2

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Can you try it at the store and keep replacing until you get a decent one? I'm planning to buy one during 4 hours I have while waiting for a connecting flight, so I won't be able to return it later. It's going to be in about 1 month, so stock levels should be higher.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Can you try it at the store and keep replacing until you get a decent one? I'm planning to buy one during 4 hours I have while waiting for a connecting flight, so I won't be able to return it later. It's going to be in about 1 month, so stock levels should be higher.

Under store lights (for the most part) you'll see no problem. It's when the lighting is more normal that it'll show up. I'm going to need a lot of reports and pics before I battle Apple for another unit. :)

RossMc

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Newcastle, UK
I have just got off the phone to Apple. The guy I spoke to told me the one I sent away for repair shouldn't have been sent back like it was because the issue is obvious to spot when under low light.

He said I have two options to either get it replaced again or get a refund. I told him it would be hard for me to get to the Apple store as I am down University and I don't have a car. I was told to phone the Apple store where I bought the iPad and see what they can do. The guy on the phone at my Apple store told me I would have to go into the store to get a refund but if I wanted a replacement Apple Care could do it over the phone.

I phoned Apple Care and they told me that they couldn't do a replacement over the phone and I would have to go instore because that is where I bought it.. I am just going to see if I can get my mate to give me a lift there tomorrow which is about a hour away and get a refund.

Thinking about placing an order with Apple online seen as though shipping is 2-3 weeks and hope they are shipping ones without this issue so bad. Not sure what to do though might just do that or keep the money but also been thinking about just picking up the first gen iPad instead.

iPutz

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Any chance of posting pics at 100 percent brightness. I hope this is true because if these reports keep coming in I'm going to make another visit.

Sorry, not possible. I just checked it again at 100% using this website and I am completely satisfied.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Sorry, not possible. I just checked it again at 100% using this website and I am completely satisfied.

Well if you ever have a chance to snap a photo even with a phone it would be appreciated. Although satisfied and flawless are two different things.

peaceActivist

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
yeah, if reports start coming in that buyers are actually happy with the screen, meaning there is no screen bleed, I might actually buy an iPad 2 again.

So much for "thats the limitation of the technology, all screens have bleed" argument if we start seeing bleed free iPad 2's. :rolleyes: wait...we just need proof. seems the folks who got good ones don't wanna share. lol

vito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK
Okay so I went for my genius bar appointment today at Manchester Arndale Apple Store...

When I arrived the genius was "surprised" to hear about the problem I was having and mentioned that I am the first to get a replacement :rolleyes:. Now this in itself is a contradiction as when I called the store the day before the concierge said numerous folk have popped in with similar issues :confused:

So the genius was there trying to examine the device under store conditions, when another genius came across and mentioned the leakage is only visible where there is minimal lightening, yay, finally!

Had mine replaced, briefly tested it and well as you guessed looks near enough as bad as the original however probably not so much though.

I then got a call from Executive Relations in Ireland and the very nice lady wanted me to update her first thing Monday. She said that Apple was aware of the issue and customers are being dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

I was also concerned as the genius took my replacement out of a brown box which I thought could mean a refurb, wouldn't be possible as there probably isn't any in the system to offer as warranty replacements however I am having that checked too.

So will update everyone Monday.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Per Apple Support discussion thread a person in Scotland was just told his iPad 2 screen with light-leak is "in-spec" due to the "new, thinner glass". The one "in-spec" supposedly had light-leak as well as a dead-pixel.

Not the words folks want to be reading on this issue. No way in hell I would keep an iPad 2 with ANY light leak outside of 14 days and iPad 1 sure is looking more tempting. Just hope we don't keep reading of account of "in spec" iPad 2s with this light-leak issue.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Okay so I went for my genius bar appointment today at Manchester Arndale Apple Store...

When I arrived the genius was "surprised" to hear about the problem I was having and mentioned that I am the first to get a replacement :rolleyes:. Now this in itself is a contradiction as when I called the store the day before the concierge said numerous folk have popped in with similar issues :confused:

So the genius was there trying to examine the device under store conditions, when another genius came across and mentioned the leakage is only visible where there is minimal lightening, yay, finally!

Had mine replaced, briefly tested it and well as you guessed looks near enough as bad as the original however probably not so much though.

I then got a call from Executive Relations in Ireland and the very nice lady wanted me to update her first thing Monday. She said that Apple was aware of the issue and customers are being dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

I was also concerned as the genius took my replacement out of a brown box which I thought could mean a refurb, wouldn't be possible as there probably isn't any in the system to offer as warranty replacements however I am having that checked too.

So will update everyone Monday.

A replacement out of a brown box already? Hell no. Very likely it could be a returned one. Not cool.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
I asked if it was a refurb and he denied it and said there are no refurbs in the system yet, did look suspect!

On my replacements they took out a factory fresh box and opened it in front of me.

Flake

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
are they likely to replace a unit with any amount of bleeding as long as it's noticeable?

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
are they likely to replace a unit with any amount of bleeding as long as it's noticeable?

I think as time goes by they are going to get less and less likely to replace. The second time I went in for a replacement I got I don't see anything from one of the hotshots in the store. I respectfully disagreed and gave him the look of don't try and fool me buddy. It still worked out for me since the unit I have is barely noticeable at the setting I use.

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
I will find out for sure on Monday I guess when I speak to the relations lady, if that is the case he shouldn't have done that as I'm in my 14 day period.

Good luck and expect nothing less than brand new.

Flake

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
I think as time goes by they are going to get less and less likely to replace. The second time I went in for a replacement I got I don't see anything from one of the hotshots in the store. I respectfully disagreed and gave him the look of don't try and fool me buddy. It still worked out for me since the unit I have is barely noticeable at the setting I use.

do they still make you make genius bar appointments -.-

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
They're so nice that I feel bad for going in to see them!

You're a lot like me. I go in and apologize that I hate being one of those customers but . . . then I think I spent some good cash on this unit. Not to mention the cash I've spent for Apple products over the years. As a customer you deserve to be treated with respect. That is if you give it first.

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
I was the same way guys. But they understand, just like I understand, if i am paying anywhere from 500-almost 1000 dollars on something, it damn well be near to perfect or at least up to my standards.

Never settle.

JYCH

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
I just returned my ipad. The apple genius I talked to keep telling me to keep it and refused to give me a replacemet since I had it exchanged twice.:mad:
So I just get my money back before the 14 days refund period. I'll buy again later when apple fixed the issue.
Can anyone confirmed that they have a prefect screen? A few people claimed they have a prefect one, but no pics so far..

VidPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
I just returned my ipad. The apple genius I talked to keep telling me to keep it and refused to give me a replacemet since I had it exchanged twice.:mad:
So I just get my money back before the 14 days refund period. I'll buy again later when apple fixed the issue.
Can anyone confirmed that they have a prefect screen? A few people claimed they have a prefect one, but no pics so far..

Looks there's one here. I think I see a bit on the screen but from my point if view it's perfect for an LCD.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1132880/

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
My saga may finally be over.

Tonight I picked up my 3rd iPad 2, 2nd replacement, and I'll be keeping this one. Before you ask if my screen is "perfect", it's not (I'd say it's as close to being perfect as it can get, without being perfect,that is), but that doesn't mean there are problems with it.

Every LCD screen I've ever had has some minor imperfections here and there that are barely noticeable (unlike some of the ridiculous bleeding a lot of us, including myself, have experienced).

At 60% brightness, my iPad 2 presents no noticeable bleed or dead pixels.

At 80%-100% brightness, my iPad 2 has the tiniest few specs of backlight bleeding on the left side, but ones that are, again not very noticeable, even when watching a movie at 100% brightness in the dark.

Honestly, it's better (way better, actually) than any unit I've had so far, and this rinse and repeat process of returning has worn done on me. I'll be keeping it as I'm pretty content with it and these few imperfections don't bother me in the least. :)

Here's a picture of 100% brightness (taken with iPhone 4)
IMG_0039.JPG

80% brightness:
IMG_0038.JPG

And one at 60% (default - taken in the Apple Store bathroom in the dark :p)
IMG_0040.JPG

Hope this helps. Case closed. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.