Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
I don't want them to "manage perception" (which is another way of saying "spin").

I want them to fix the issues.

I agree, but right now, we don't know how serious Apple is about fixing it.

They might, or might not.
A big ship like Apple is not turned around easily.
This decline has been long coming.

-t

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I don't want them to "manage perception" (which is another way of saying "spin").

I want them to fix the issues.

I'm not sure how offering up senior product managers to meet with someone is "spin". They're taking the time to hear complaints first hand which to me is a good thing. I'm sure Apple PR could've gotten this guy to hold his story without having him spend an afternoon in Cupertino.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I take it you missed it when explanations were given for issues.

No Apple names were given. Also, WTH does "Product Chief" mean? That's not a standard job title by any means.

In any case, the article wasn't about software quality at all - but it was useful to know that journalists with high-profile companies (CBS/Marketwatch) get such quick access. He was obviously dazzled by this access, and it shows.

It's also useful to know that Apple is aware, and concerned. Again, what are they going to do, specifically about software quality?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Apple on probation for a year? Thoughts on the article by David Weidner, MarketWatch

… contacted Apple about a negative piece he was planning to run …

Thanks – I agree, it's interesting.

Compared to some recent publications, it is a somewhat positive article.

In isolation – without those comparisons – the article is still negative …

"… I’m dumping my Apple Inc. products. …

… I ranted. They listened. …

… know that at least a few key Apple executives care about your experience. …

… OK, Apple. You’ve bought yourself a year. …"​

Reading the article as a whole, I get the impression that the offender – Apple – is on probation for a year …

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Belief in Apple's goal to make great products

Today under Yosemite looks terrible!:
… Ive's designs …

Here, a few days ago:

… I'll have a quote later from Sir Jonathan Ive …

As promised:

… "Our goal isn’t to make money. Our goal absolutely at Apple is not to make money. This may sound a little flippant, but it’s the truth…Our goal and what gets us excited is to try to make great products. We trust that if we are successful people will like them, and if we are operationally competent we will make revenue, but we are very clear about our goal." …​

In response:

"… There was scoffing a plenty, but I actually think it’s true; Apple employees are (for the most part) intrinsically motivated. …"​

November 2014:

… I place more blame on him because he is head of design, but I also realize he's human and isn't solely responsible for Yosemite's design. He may have influenced it, but he didn't code it. I assume many design meetings and group work efforts contributed ideas. …

donstenk

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
The Hague
I am back to Mavericks which 'just works' and I will ensure I will stay a generation behind on everything Apple makes so I don't lose time messing around with stuff like this. I wished I had not upgraded the iPad mini to iOS 8 as it is simply not powerful to run it and downgrading is just not possible.

What is driving me mad though is that there is no version of iWorks that can open all documents on Mavericks, so I am back to using MS Word for my small business. Luckily one can batch convert all docs online.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am back to Mavericks which 'just works' and I will ensure I will stay a generation behind on everything Apple makes so I don't lose time messing around with stuff like this. I wished I had not upgraded the iPad mini to iOS 8 as it is simply not powerful to run it and downgrading is just not possible.

What is driving me mad though is that there is no version of iWorks that can open all documents on Mavericks, so I am back to using MS Word for my small business. Luckily one can batch convert all docs online.

I'm fairly happy with Yosemite, though the Mac Mini I'm typing on right now, is on Mavericks and I have no plans on upgrading it - its a 2009, and performance is good.

My rMBP is running 10.10, and so far its been good.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.

A little bit over the top to put it mildly. Using words to exgerate the issues

From the painful gestation of OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) ???

with its damaged iWork apps I thought these had been simplified or dumbed down, that isnt a bug or issue its by design, rightly or wrongly

, to the chaotic iOS 8 launch, Chaotic?

iCloud glitches, glitches can happen as can bugs

and the trouble with Continuity, Its worked 100% for me, on my IPhone, iPad and rMBP

Are the bugs that bad? Do Apple users expect no bugs? or 1 bug? And I do read a lot of bug posts that include design changes

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Look at the author - Jean-Louis Gassée. Do you know who he is? Creator of BeOS. I'd say he has an axe to grind since Apple passed on purchasing BeOS in lou of NeXt.

Do you know where he worked before that? Perhaps you can post that as well.

Jean-Louis' Monday Notes are pretty damn good reading.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.

Apple. And he was forced out by Sculley for lack of performance on delivering new products. So the comment of maflynn holds water clearly

And it is doubly clear by the use of words he is angry at Apple

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
iTunes is just such a &*%$ing POS.

Connecting my iPhone starts the sync, and gets stuck.

Disconnect iPhone, reconnect. No dice.
Restart iTunes. Reconnect iPhone. No dice.
Again, close iTunes, restart it. Reconnect iPhone. No dice.

I HAD TO REBOOT OS X TO RECOGNIZE MY IPHONE IN ITUNES.

I can't remember ever having that many issues with iTunes in any prior OS X.

-t

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
iTunes is just such a &*%$ing POS.

Connecting my iPhone starts the sync, and gets stuck.

Disconnect iPhone, reconnect. No dice.
Restart iTunes. Reconnect iPhone. No dice.
Again, close iTunes, restart it. Reconnect iPhone. No dice.

I HAD TO REBOOT OS X TO RECOGNIZE MY IPHONE IN ITUNES.

I can't remember ever having that many issues with iTunes in any prior OS X.

-t

Does this happen to all of us in Yosemite???????

If so, you are correct. If not, you are incorrect, and need to resolve the issue that exist on your machine

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Apple. And he was forced out by Sculley for lack of performance on delivering new products. So the comment of maflynn holds water clearly

And it is doubly clear by the use of words he is angry at Apple

Ha - hardly. Being forced out by the man who nearly killed Apple is a badge of honor.

Yes, people - including myself - ARE indeed angry at Apple. They've lost the handle.

Consider yourself lucky if you haven't had bugs to contend with. Also, you might recuse yourself from this thread if that's the case.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
Does this happen to all of us in Yosemite???????

If so, you are correct. If not, you are incorrect, and need to resolve the issue that exist on your machine

I did a clean install of Yosemite, on a 2014 iMac.

It's not my machine.

-t

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Ha - hardly. Being forced out by the man who nearly killed Apple is a badge of honor.

Yes, people - including myself - ARE indeed angry at Apple. They've lost the handle.

Consider yourself lucky if you haven't had bugs to contend with. Also, you might recuse yourself from this thread if that's the case.

Ha. Sculley failed, yes, but so did this guy as well. hence he was terminated. So, he has his own biased issue towards Apple, no credibility.

Lost the handle, ok, so can I assume they amount of bugs this year has been ten fold more then usual? I've had the odd issue, yes, I've also had issues with Apple before, and MS before and Nvidia before etc, it happens

----------

I did a clean install of Yosemite, on a 2014 iMac.

It's not my machine.

-t

If iTunes is borked, and it's not your machine and I haven't read any others with the issues you have, then where is the fault sitting?

I have no doubt you have issues with iTunes, but the key is, does everyone else who has the same version of OSX and iTunes have the same issue? it would appear not to be a wide issue with OSX or with iTunes. It must be to do with something or some file on your machine or devices I would expect, that iTunes loads and gets stuck with. My sugestion is to wipe the iPhone, set as new device and see what happens. If all good, restore it, etc, see what happens

The point of my post is that if you have an issue, you cannot assume where the fault lies, until you know where the fault lies.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Sculley nearly killed Apple? How so?

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Look at the author - Jean-Louis Gassée. Do you know who he is? Creator of BeOS. I'd say he has an axe to grind since Apple passed on purchasing BeOS in lou of NeXt.

Perhaps he has a beef but it's worth reading what he has to say.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Perhaps he has a beef but it's worth reading what he has to say.

Seriously?

Would I get an idea about Apple by listening to an Android fanboy.
Would I get a better idea of the Repulicans by talking to a Democrat?

There are people who have a natural bias, but can also be objective, I'd listen to those. Not common though

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Yup, and I believe this is not the first dig at apple, which is why I posted that he's got some sort of axe to grind.

I'm not dismissing all of what he wrote, but clearly his intentions are negative.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Actually if you believe Guy Kawaski Gasse was only forced out because Scully saw him as a threat to his (Scully's) job, and hind sight says he should have had it. In many ways I'm glad he didn't because that means the world got BeOS which influenced most modern OS's and was THE OS in it's time.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Gassee doesn't bother me and I often agree with what he writes on his blog. Here he's just jumping on the bandwagon

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I believe what he wrote:

"… For the past six months or so, I’ve become increasingly concerned about the quality of Apple software. …"​

Yeah and he didn't write about it until after Marco Arment and others did. Hence why I said jumping on the bandwagon. Or maybe piling on is a better phrase. Of course there are others like Rene Ritchie who, in my opinion, have a more thoughtful view of the situation. The opposite of Marco Arment's it's getting worse and will never get better view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.