Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
So 720p YouTube playback is now possible (without downloading) even on G4s? Great news here :D
@Dronecatcher Does your compiled version work on every Mac or I have to install xcode and macports too?

I'm afraid you need xcode, macports and qt4 to make it work - the downside is they take up over 2 Gb.
[doublepost=1486172853][/doublepost]
Is there out someone else interested in a Tiger version too?

I'd reckon there's a demand for Tiger too, as Tiger has less Youtube options than Leopard.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Since it's weekend and I woke up way too early, I got more time to wipe my 2nd PB G4 12" and install Tiger on it.

@Dronecatcher

Thanks a lot for helping in troubleshooting and compiling , I just tried your 1.67Ghz PB G4 15" compiled version
on my PB G4 12" and it works so on a G4 level no issues to use the compiled app.
Checked on my G5 and it works also with your compiled app version so I'll add it to the first post

Hopefully I can get a Tiger compiled version working also .
[doublepost=1486196619][/doublepost]
So, to recap, I just need to install the few apps/tools mentions in original post then "compile" the App? Is there a "pre-compiled" App I can DL from you that will work as long as I have the aforementioned apps/tools installed?

Now there is :) , tested on OS X 10.5.8 , 2 different G4 models and a G5.
See the 1st post.

Last edited:

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
So 1h35 minutes ago I started sudo port install qt4-mac on OS X Tiger on my Powerbook G4 12" 1.5Ghz with Harddisk.

First dependency on Tiger for qt4-mac is gcc4.2 which it is currently building at 90-100% CPU, I heard the harddisk make some clicking sounds so I hope the machine doesn't overheat and die.

hellothere231

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
I've been looking for a long time to get Youtube videos playing in CorePlayer without going through ViewTube/TFF. Thanks a bunch man, seriously, this is awesome; also, much much faster and more efficient than my previous method which was using Webkit and ClicktoPlugin (a low quality, 360p youtube stream on quicktime takes up 70-90% of CPU usage, whereas on coreplayer it only takes 10-20%).

Reactions: Lastic

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I've been looking for a long time to get Youtube videos playing in CorePlayer without going through ViewTube/TFF. Thanks a bunch man, seriously, this is awesome; also, much much faster and more efficient than my previous method which was using Webkit and ClicktoPlugin (a low quality, 360p youtube stream on quicktime takes up 70-90% of CPU usage, whereas on coreplayer it only takes 10-20%).

Have you tried Viewtube with the NinjaKit extension for Webkit? It gives you a full range of playback/download options but if you want to simply play in browser, it's far more efficent than CTP.
However, nowhere near as fast as SMtube :)

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Adventures on OS X Tiger continued

Yesterday

Well, the PB G4 12" HDD had been compiling from 10:15-12:45 AM just to install dependency apple-gcc42 via Macports.
(after doing sudo port install qt4-mac )
When Macports finished building apple_gcc42 it told I had to install it again ? , all the other dependencies continued to install and the building qt4-mac failed .
This was somewhere in the afternoon.
Thus I did a sudo port install apple-gcc42 again , it started compiling again for 2 hours.
set it as main gcc (sudo port select --set gcc apple_gcc42) and tried again to sudo port install qt4-mac.

It failed immediately with a ld: library not found -llcms in the logs
This was 18:00h in the evening and I had to leave the house.

Today 10:21 AM

Checked the logs again and google for this ld: library not found -llcms , tried to find lcms but couldn't and noticed
that Macports had installed lcms2 ( sudo port installed ).
Installed lcms ( sudo port install lcms ) , started qt4-mac install ( sudo port install qt4-mac ) and it starts building
Now (11:14 AM) it failed again whilst compiling qfilesystemengine_unix.cpp , sigh ...

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
How frustrating...
Still, having the great Leopard version is an achievement :)

I just keep on trying, one day I will have Macports figured out, it's all basic C compiling but so many files where things can go wrong.

Indeed for Leopard, it's a big leap forward to have these beautiful machines perform tasks anno 2017 for which they were never prepared/invented :)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I just keep on trying, one day I will have Macports figured out, it's all basic C compiling but so many files where things can go wrong.

Again, frustrating as all the components already exist to bring Youtube to life on PowerPC - I'm sure some developer with time on their hands could wrap together a scraper for tonvid.com, youtube-dl and a simple GUI - with options from 3gp for low end G3s up to 1080P for G5s.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
For those willing to try to get qt4 installed on Tiger, Tigerbrew has no formula for it, only as of Leopard.
So still debugging MacPorts on Tiger ... trying older qt4-mac version (revision)

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
For those willing to try to get qt4 installed on Tiger, Tigerbrew has no formula for it, only as of Leopard.
So still debugging MacPorts on Tiger ... trying older qt4-mac version (revision)

So the older revision port of qt4-mac had been compiling from 16:35 on Tiger and still was when I went to bed.

Just woke up and saw that it failed at 00:35 ...

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
Looking forward to giving this a go on my 20" iMac G4 tonight! Thank you all who have contributed to this project!

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Adventures on Tiger continued

Good news and bad news , well the bad news is for myself.

I succeeded in compiling qt4-mac 4.7.4 instead of 4.8.7 which would crash .

I was able to compile to SMtube but it crashes on startup but I think I know why.

First I had installed all the dependencies of qt4-mac 4.8.7 up to qt4-mac itself which would fail to build.
I then build qt4-mac 4.7.4 which didn't need anymore dependencies since they were already installed but I'm guessing
mixing the qt4-mac versions screwed up SMtube working ability.

This evening after work I will wipe my Leopard PB G12" G4 with SSD , install Tiger on it and start over with a clean install.
Hopefully the SSD will speed up things, will have to miss my road warrior for 1 day on my train commutes but then at least I know if it works or not.

Reactions: pochopsp

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
Was going to give this a go until I realized I don't have xcode and I am not a developer. Is there a version on macintoshgarden that will work?

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
The only thing I cant figure out is why when I try to view a video it brings me straight to the YouTube page and not open the video.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Was going to give this a go until I realized I don't have xcode and I am not a developer. Is there a version on macintoshgarden that will work?

Nor am I , you can register for free on developer.apple.com.
I would rather download Xcode from Apple than an other source.
What versions did you find on macintosh garden ?
[doublepost=1486530881][/doublepost]
The only thing I cant figure out is why when I try to view a video it brings me straight to the YouTube page and not open the video.

Did you change the Preferences of SMtube as stated in my first post ?

Could you otherwise post a picture of what exactly happens ?

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
Nor am I , you can register for free on developer.apple.com.
I would rather download Xcode from Apple than an other source.
What versions did you find on macintosh garden ?

I didn't look there. I will give it a try tonight. I stopped when I saw that you had to go to the developers page as I thought you had to pay to be a developer, and to get the XCode.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Tiger still purring

Yesterday wiped my PB 12" G4 SSD, Installed Tiger, Xcode 2.5, Macports ,Coreplayer and the older revision of qt4-mac
and started the sudo port install qt4-mac and went to bed.

And this morning I noticed qt4-mac failed to compile because it installed lcms2 as a dependency instead of lcms which it needs to build. Quickly installed lcms dependency this morning and went off to work.
So when I came home 3 hours ago I started sudo port install qt4-mac again and it is still building now (20:45 CET+1).
Not giving up on Tiger

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Tiger still purring

Yesterday wiped my PB 12" G4 SSD, Installed Tiger, Xcode 2.5, Macports ,Coreplayer and the older revision of qt4-mac
and started the sudo port install qt4-mac and went to bed.

And this morning I noticed qt4-mac failed to compile because it installed lcms2 as a dependency instead of lcms which it needs to build. Quickly installed lcms dependency this morning and went off to work.
So when I came home 3 hours ago I started sudo port install qt4-mac again and it is still building now (20:45 CET+1).
Not giving up on Tiger

This is what I call real dedication! Stick at it.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Tiger , bad kitten :)

So this morning when I woke up , I saw the 11 hour compile of qt4-mac complete.
I immediately compiled SMtube and tried it but it crashes.

I had the same behaviour on the other Powerbook install, QTNetworking crashes when OpenSSL tries to connect to tonvid ?

Will tr to update the system certicates when I come home from work.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
So after 6 days I'm throwing in the towel. I CANNOT get SMtube to work on Tiger.

I clean installed 2 Powerbooks, one with a HDD , and my roadwarrior with a SSD with Tiger but no luck.

Still I want to share my experiences if somebody feels adventurous enough to give it a go.

I clean installed Tiger and did all the Software updates.

Installed Xcode 2.5 from developer.apple.com
Xcode 2_5.png
Installed Macports 2.3.3 from here Tiger

Installed CorePlayer from here Mirror

From here things got tricky.
For some reason when you do a sudo port install qt4-mac it will installed dependency lcms2 but
when you it starts to build qt4-mac , it will fail because it is looking for lcms .
So to avoid having to compile 1 day to see it fail first do sudo port install lcms .

However qt4-mac which it tries to install is version 4.8.7 like on Leopard but it's build kept failing on an QtCore
Webkit error which I was unable to resolve and thus I couldn't compile Qt4-mac version 4.8.7

Thus I went on the hunt for an older revision (version) of the Qt4-mac port and found the one that was specific for Tiger.
https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/aqua/qt4-mac?rev=87272

Downloaded it via svn on my MBP since svn wouldn't install via Macports on Tiger using

svn checkout -r 87272 https://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports/aqua/qt4-mac

,grmph, following these instructions https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/InstallingOlderPort

So this will download the port, you MUST place it in your home folder , nowhere else or you get permission issues.

Now first do a sudo port install lcms
This will install the correct dependcy so that qt4-mac compiles and doesn't fail after a day of compiling.

Then cd into your home directory and the qt4-mac subfolder which you downloaded via svn (via another machine).
Since this is a local port you have to do a sudo port install
It will start building depencies and 11 hours later on my SSD PB G4 12" ( or 2 days later on a HDD PB G4 ), drumroll,
qt4-mac version 4.7.4 has succesfully been installed.

Now SMTube.

Download the newer source here http://sourceforge.net/projects/smtube/files/SMTube/17.1.0/smtube-17.1.0.tar.bz2
Go into the extracted folder smtube-17.1.0

For Macports I had to edit the Makefile to point to the location of the Macports Qt qmake and lrelease

QMAKE=/opt/local/libexec/qt4/bin/qmake

MAKE=make
LRELEASE=/opt/local/libexec/qt4/bin/lrelease

Open Terminal ( Applications/Utilities ), go to the folder smtube-17.1.0 type make, about 5 minutes later compilation completed and in the src directory I found smtube.app which I copied to /Applications. }

Once you have moved the app to /Applications, follow these next steps.

And here is where the dream ended this morning, SMTube will start and then it will crash with an QtNetworkEngine OpenSSL blablabla error which doesn't really tell you what the issue is.

The program stays open , shows you results but it won't open any video.

So I thought maybe the SSL certificates are too old on Tiger, I should install a newer OpenSSL via Macports.
Doesn't work , since it's Macports 2.3.3 the OpenSSL version that is installed is the latest you can install.

Ok, maybe I can installed newer certificates and they will work with this version of OpenSSL ?
Followed this thread Update OS-X Certification Authority (CA) certificates

But no Sir, it still crashes on startup and I give up.

Here's a picture of how far I got :
(and my last post on Tiger since I will gladly restore my roadwarrior to his Leopard Image)

smtube Tiger FAIL.png

Last edited:

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
You tried. And we GREATLY appreciate it. With this, and the other one that Dronecatcher just did really shows that you never know what will happen tomorrow in PPC. Perhaps down the line, something else will change allowing you to make it happen another way entirely. :)

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
You tried. And we GREATLY appreciate it. With this, and the other one that Dronecatcher just did really shows that you never know what will happen tomorrow in PPC. Perhaps down the line, something else will change allowing you to make it happen another way entirely. :)

Thanks, indeed, this 11 year old PB shows me every day that with optimization,open-source software and a bit of patience
it will perform the daily tasks you want from it.

All the people on this forum and elsewhere who keep supporting it and find or create incredible things for it, really shows what could have been.
I refuse (except for work where I have no choice WINDOWZZZ) to fall for the have-to-buy-newer-machine not because I need it but because it's cooler.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.