Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I think the main problem is that we have to smooth out the install process. Really all that needs to be installed is qt4, however that needs Macports and Macports needs Xcode. If we can find a way to install qt4 without Macports and then combine it and smtube into an installer, more people would use this.

{EDIT 30-JAN-2017
Tried from a clean install, gcc/make only install from here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4ZuzZ8mn9xRVVdOTkpTckdNdEk/view?usp=sharing
then Qt 4.6 from here qt-mac-opensource-4.6.0.dmg but no luck.
Installed Xcode, still no luck , Macports still seems the way to succes}

That's what I tried for 3 days in a row, only install gcc and make in order to compile the SMTube source-code.
Only was able to install a DMG for Qt-4.6 (tried several versions) since this one was PPC .
Then tried to add Xcode but the build of the SMTube source-code would still fail since it needs more dependencies.

I wiped my partitions each time, restored from a clean Leopard install and on to the next install.
Macports 2.3.4 just installed qt4-mac and the compile of SMTube worked .

I guess if you install SMTube on a PPC Linux OS , one could figure this out and try to replicate it on OS X but I gave up.
I'm only running OS X 10.5.8 on my PPC's since Linux doesn't give me any benefits.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Picture 2.png

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I'm on my G5 now, but the exact same results are happening, I tested it. Did a sudo port selfupdate, it appears to be updating to 2.4.1 now.

Keeping my thumbs crossed, I myself am fighting with a Centos X86_64 dd install to USB stick which is SLOOOWWW, trying to install a FreeRadius Centos server on an HP Proliant DL320 and figure out why it won't boot from it's CD-ROM.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Ok, I would try

sudo port -fp install qt4-mac

if it fails

port list qt4-mac

if it fails

sudo port upgrade outdates => sudo port -fp install qt4-mac
Thanks but I have it installing using sudo port install qt4-mac. It has gotten as far into the install process as my mini has and I believe the problem is solved. Thank you @Lastic!
[doublepost=1490540673][/doublepost]SMtube works great on my G5. Click a video, and it instantly opens in CorePlayer and plays 1080p with no stutters at all. I see why you guys were saying this thread should have more pages. ;)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I think the main problem is that we have to smooth out the install process. Really all that needs to be installed is qt4, however that needs Macports and Macports needs Xcode. If we can find a way to install qt4 without Macports and then combine it and smtube into an installer, more people would use this.

If you open Activity Monitor whilst SMTube is open, select it and click Inspect, then Open Files and Ports, you can see all the files required.
Someone with the knowhow could get this all wrapped up into an installer.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
If you open Activity Monitor whilst SMTube is open, select it and click Inspect, then Open Files and Ports, you can see all the files required.
Someone with the knowhow could get this all wrapped up into an installer.
I can make installers for software, I'd just have to track down that stuff. As most of it's installed by Macports, we'd have to find the installed files. Plus there's so much, I'd take a while. Sounds like a fun project. :)

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I keep having problems with this particular video. I click on it, coreplayer opens, but it won't load the video.

At work so I can check anything but which preferred quality did you choose ?
Can you try to open it in another player ? What is the feed URL that CorePlayer tries to open ?

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I did the same ,used SMTube, opened with VLC, Window, Media Information, copied the addres at the bottom
(Location)

{Removed link since it has my public IP in IT}

Opened Coreplayer, Open URL, copied the above URL and it plays.

Can you try to copy the above link and Open URL it in Coreplayer ?
[doublepost=1490638116][/doublepost]
Tried with 720p mp4 and webm, and 360p mp4 and webm. Tried with CorePlayer and VLC, with CorePlayer I was not able to copy the url, but I was with VLC:
Removed your URL with your public IP in it

Copied your URL , opened Coreplayer, Open URL and got an error message (and had to Force Quit Coreplayer)
Picture 1.png

What are your SMTube, Preferences, Player, Coreplayer settings ?

Are both This player ... unchecked ?

Last edited:

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
I've clicked on the first one. Coreplayer keeps spinning but the video won't start. Maybe a regional issue? Maybe an issue with my router? (I have problems in connecting with games on GameRanger too on my PowerMac)

Immagine 4.png

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I've clicked on the first one. Coreplayer keeps spinning but the video won't start. Maybe a regional issue? Maybe an issue with my router? (I have problems in connecting with games on GameRanger too on my PowerMac)

View attachment 693763

On the bottom of the SMTube screen , you can change your region in the Preferences settings.
I changed mine to Italy but for me it still works like when it's on my own region.

Picture 2.png

In the Applications, Utilties folder , You will find Console.
If you open this , select All Messages, you can filter/find all smtube logging and check what it is

Picture 3.png

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
No, changing the region didn't help.
I made screenshots for both working video and not working video console messages

Attachments

• working video.zip
    218.6 KB · Views: 305
  • NOT working wideo.zip
    247.4 KB · Views: 323

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Console is generating an insane amount of log data using SMTube - is that normal? Using PPC Media Center or my custom player generates just one single line of data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.