Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Is there a way to watch also 1080p content?

Whatever i set in the settings it only outputs 720p.
I tried with Coreplayer and VLC.

I tried also with Coreplayer on my G5 but I have no clue how to know wether it's playing 720p or 1080p ?
How do you know that it outputs 720p ?

From Googling this , I found this suggestion to add this parameter to mplayer (only) ,
--ytdl-format=bestvideo+bestaudio

http://blog.smplayer.info/how-to-play-a-1080p-video-from-youtube-with-smplayer/

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
It's possible that Youtube doesn't present 1080P files that are available for download ie they're are there but as sepatate video and audio streams.
I'll check later but I'm sure Viewtube add-on for Firefox can't reach them either.

EDIT: When using Viewtube, you can download a 1080P file but it's an unfriendly webm and has no sound.
You can probably tinker with the youtube-dl settings in my downloader "app" to download the video+audio together, not sure whether mplayer would somehow play them synchronously or mux them (which would be slow).

Last edited:

BigBIg5

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
I followed all the steps but don't get an option to play with player when I right click the video.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
It goes to the video page.
[doublepost=1511819352][/doublepost]
I have fixed it.
[doublepost=1511820029][/doublepost]Is there a way to change smtube home page?

Is this part of the 1st post what you need ? I do think that it defaults when started to tonvid.com

SMTube is also a browser-like interface, if you click on View, Toolbar you can fill in a website address like
for example m.youtube.com

smtube-toolbar-png.693577

There you can login and also search videos like on Tonvid, to playback a video you must right-click it however and select your player , direct-click playback seems only to work on Tonvid .

smtube-myoutube-select-player-png.693578

Reactions: Dronecatcher

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
Is there a compiled SMtube version for intel processors? So that it would work on Lion :)

The only prerequisite to compile the source-code of SMTube is qt4-mac which on PPC can only be installed via Macports/Homebrew.

On Intel machines Qt can be downloaded from their site here :

https://www1.qt.io/download-open-source/?hsCtaTracking=f977210e-de67-475f-a32b-65cec207fd03|d62710cd-e1db-46aa-8d4d-2f1c1ffdacea

I'm guessing once it is installed that you will still need to install gcc in orde to compile the source-code so you will have to get that from the Apple Developer site ( you can register an account without paying ) or try this link

Command Line Tools (OS X Lion) for Xcode - April 2013.dmg

Download the Updated 17.5.0 source here
smtube-17.5.0.tar.bz2
Go into the extracted folder smtube-17.5.0

For Macports I had to edit the Makefile to point to the location of the Macports Qt qmake and lrelease

QMAKE=/opt/local/libexec/qt4/bin/qmake
MAKE=make
LRELEASE=/opt/local/libexec/qt4/bin/lrelease

But this might not be necessary when Qt in installed via it's own package

Open Terminal ( Applications/Utilities ), go to the folder smtube-17.5.0 type make, about 5 minutes later compilation completed and in the src directory I found smtube.app which I copied to /Applications.

Last edited:

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
More changes at Youtube....SMTube released new source today, just compiled it but not working - have you tried/had any luck?

Youtube working with updated youtube-dl though.

I was able to compile SMTube 1.8.0 but it now feeds https to Coreplayer which doesn't understand these, Mplayer does still work.

BUT SMTube 1.7.5 no longer works at first look, Will check further this evening.

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
I'm not specially attracted by this app or by Qt, but I stumbled upon this ( https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/740 ) and it reminded me of this post.
It should resolve the question wether Qt 4.8.7 can build on tiger or not. Since this repo https://github.com/kencu/TigerPorts/ has it merged, it should be no more complicated than cloning it as a local portfile tree overlay and 'port install qt4-mac' as long as gcc-4.2 has been bootstrapped correctly.

Not sure it would allow building SMtube but there are good chances because it relies on the qt framework almost exclusively afaik.

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole
I'm not specially attracted by this app or by Qt, but I stumbled upon this ( https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/740 ) and it reminded me of this post.
It should resolve the question wether Qt 4.8.7 can build on tiger or not. Since this repo https://github.com/kencu/TigerPorts/ has it merged, it should be no more complicated than cloning it as a local portfile tree overlay and 'port install qt4-mac' as long as gcc-4.2 has been bootstrapped correctly.

Not sure it would allow building SMtube but there are good chances because it relies on the qt framework almost exclusively afaik.

Thanks for these links, will look into those.

First will have to reinstall Tiger since I only run Leopard on all my systems.

Reactions: AphoticD

philgxxd

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2017
Malaga, Spain
Just installed it on one of my 15" PB (again?) and have to say that blows away the depression i was getting browsing web (with newest TFF) and trying to watch some youtube videos within TFF. After using the last 3 months exclusively my early 2008 Intel MBP to do this i forced myself to come back to my PB to give it some love (and cycling the battery).
I'm surely biased with this impression as i came back after such a long time to the PB and just getting used to the MBP performance but it never felt THAT bad.
It's getting really bad to simply browse the modern web on a G4 PB. I have to admit that i didn't try out any optimization for TFF beside installing umatrix and bluhell firewall.

So thanks again for making this possible!

philgxxd

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2017
Malaga, Spain
I noticed that while my PB is capable of playing back 720p smoothly with mplayer it is out of sync with the audio. Stepping back to 360p fixes that and it's ok.

Reactions: G4fanboy

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I noticed that while my PB is capable of playing back 720p smoothly with mplayer it is out of sync with the audio. Stepping back to 360p fixes that and it's ok.

You might want to add this into the SMTube Player prefs Parameters field:

%u -really-quiet -fs -framedrop -lavdopts skiploopfilter=all:skipframe=nonref

This keeps audio in sync for me but it's main purpose is very aggressive frame dropping to get 720P playback on struggling hardware - it brings it to around 50% CPU on my 1.5Ghz Powerbook 12"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.