1 day before my return window closes, this happens

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Yggbert, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Yggbert, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

Yggbert macrumors regular

I just noticed this little mark on my screen, it wasn't there before so I have no idea what it is. It has been taken care of well and today it was in a Maroo case so I don't think I have scratched it. It's really noticeable on web pages and anything else with a bright background. My iPad also had a scratch on the silver border/bezel which was minor and I opted to ignore, any problems with the screen are a nono though...

http://i.imgur.com/eqvqu.jpg
    Right under the search bar
    http://i.imgur.com/H49gs.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/5Xsgc.jpg

I don't like to think I'm too picky but this has definitely gotta go back, kinda annoying because everything else is perfect. (aside from the bezel scratch)

2. Torresangel88 macrumors regular

3. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Buy AppleCare + and use one of your accidental damage allotments

4. Yggbert thread starter macrumors regular

I'm still in my return window so I started the return procedure on the Apple website. I didn't cause this, it wasn't there around an hour or two ago, and since then it has been on a bookshelf in a case. :confused:

5. sekazi macrumors 6502

6. Yggbert thread starter macrumors regular

Right under the search bar, it looks like a spec of hair or dust

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Ah awesome, another "im returning my ipad because of a minute imperfection".

I can see Apple going out of business if this continues.

8. Yggbert thread starter macrumors regular

If it's on the screen and bothers me then yeah I'm irritated by it, as I said I opted to not return it for the bezel scratch it already came with. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

Edit: Wow people voting me down because I don't like the fact my new $500+ device just developed an issue with the screen, a rather important feature of the iPad. Ridiculous.

9. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Then just take it to the apple store and have a genius swap it out?

But im sure your going to find something wrong with the next one....smh

10. Yggbert thread starter macrumors regular

Too far from a store, and no not really. I don't look for these things, I noticed it though because it wasn't there before, and as I said, I did not return it for the scratch it came with out of the box. I'm hardly being unreasonable or nitpicky here...

11. tjb1 macrumors 68000

My $15,000 car had a scratch on the tire...should I return it? $500 isnt that much.

12. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

I have never had an apple product come with a scratch out of the box.. And if yours did then you had to be looking for it the very second it came out of its box. If you discovered it a few days later then it's very possible you or your case caused it, not Apple.

Edit: and for your speck of dust on the screen, I recommend a microfiber cloth!

13. Yggbert thread starter macrumors regular

Horrible analogy. You're making it out as if I'm nitpicking for the sake of it, when I'm not, see my post here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14599367#post14599367

Tiny scratch on the bezel? Fine. If it affects my screen and I see it all the time (it's more apparent in real life) then why should I not be annoyed? The screen is the device.

----------

The scratch on my bezel was only noticeable when I was in my brightly lit kitchen and the lights hit it at an angle, I wasn't looking for it I was simply plugging in USB cable to my laptop, the scratch is directly above that area so I saw it.

Obviously I cleaned the screen, it won't go away. It's underneath the glass.

14. tjb1 macrumors 68000

My car smells funny, should I return it? I mean im in it every day and it has this weird smell since it was new and it makes it difficult to drive...clearly a defect :confused:

15. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Well since its a manufacture defect take to apple, you have 1 year to do this! Problem solved thread closed.

16. TOYOTATruck07 macrumors member

I had the same thing show up, when the genius looked at it through his special magnifying glass, he said there wasn't even a pixel there, and that's what was showing up looking like dirt or dust. The pixel was simply not put in, or fell off of, the panel. He replaced it on the spot.

Word of warning, the replacement has serious bleeding in the corners. Apple asked me to wait a few weeks to have it replaced after I tried to get my original device back (they wuldnt give it back) as a small/light speck is much less of a distraction than bleeding when watching movies or using in low light,

17. FourOhFour macrumors member

You don't look at the tire. The iPad is (mostly) useless if you don't look at the screen.

That said, a scratch that wasn't there day 1, I'd assume was my own fault. But if there is some sort of defect in or under the glass? Yeah, I'd be taking it back.

18. Yggbert thread starter macrumors regular

What bad luck. :(

I'd rather have the bleed to be honest, with so many of my most used apps having bright and often white backgrounds the speck of dust is quite hard to not notice now. I'll just have to test my luck and hope I get one without any dead pixels or serious bleed. My current one has a tiny bit of bleed in the bottom right corner but I don't mind that so much.

19. tjb1 macrumors 68000

How do you know I dont look at the tire?

20. Yggbert thread starter macrumors regular

I know anybody would say this but it really can't be something I did, it doesn't look like a scratch, when the screen is off it just looks like a tiny dot or something. I've only had the screen in my case and haven't used the iPad much today, it was definitely not there this morning when I was reading on Instapaper!

21. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

I am curious as to what you are going to do to fix your situation as you haven't stated this in any of your posts yet. Are you just wanting to vent here or are you returning it?

22. Yggbert thread starter macrumors regular

Oh yeah I'm definitely returning it, I was just curious if this thing was happening to anybody else's. I don't mind a bit of backlight bleed or a scratch on the casing/bezel but this is just catching my eye now. I know it's not my fault because it has just been in a case today, nobody else has used it and I didn't put anything on top of the screen at any point.

23. tigress666 macrumors 68040

OP, I think the reason you are getting flak is cause you can't really see it. I kept looking and couldn't find it til I read further and saw here you said it was. Even then I had to expand the image to full size to see it.

Now to be fair maybe it's just that your photo doesn't do justice in how noticeable it is.

But if your photo is accurate, yeah, I'd say you are being pretty picky. That being said I know it can be annoying to have a new device and already have a nick on it and that alone can make it stand out to you even when it's not that seeable. Try to not think about it and be happy with your ipad and see if you really notice it. Otherwise you're going to find it will be hard to find a good iPad cause you'll be so focused on finding one without any tiny imperfection.

(and I can say this cause I can be this way myself).

24. Yggbert thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe people are just thinking it's a piece of dust or hair, and not the defect I'm speaking of? I could understand that.

When I turn off the screen and looked at the spot with a torch it just looks like a white dot, then when you turn it on it looks like a tiny spec of hair or a scratch. It's not that my shiny new toy has a nick, it already has one on the casing that I just ignore, but this is catching my eye constantly on bright backgrounds now.

25. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

$500 isn't much but you can only afford a $15k car? :confused: