10% of Consumers 'Very Likely' to Buy a Smartwatch in 2015, Suggesting 24M Apple Watches

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 1, 2014.

1. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

It does not look like crap; more like a black rectangle with no personality. It's not stylish like the Moto 360 or Zen watch but it's not offensive. Some people buy watches for fashion but I bought it for the functionality aspect and it runs the same software as the models costing 3 times as much.

2. Andromeda221 macrumors newbie

See there's your problem, talking about things you have zero knowledge of. Sorry to break this to you, but non-invasive glucose monitoring is being studied. Apple hired a major researcher in non-invasive glucose monitoring. Is it happening soon? No. Ever? Likely.

Before responding, consider if you have any idea what you're saying,or if you have absolutely any knowledge as to the subject you are responding to. Thanks

3. pdqgp, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

As an owner of a Gear S I will say I thought the above would be a concern but in the end it's not really. I'm so used to charging my phone and other devices at night, plugging in my watch is nothing new. In fact the wife and I have integrated "charging stuff" with the end of our day before we head to bed. Let the dogs out, lock doors, check windows, plug in 1,234 devices, set alarm, go to bed.

IMO Apple stands a good chance at being successful with wearables. Better if they would make it a Solo Product. The fact that it needs to be within BT Range is a bit of an advantage overall vs nothing but not enough for me to warrant owning a wearable.

I personally love my Gs but mainly for the fact that I don't have to worry about being within BT Range. If I leave home without my phone or decide to ride bikes, etc. nothing about its functionality changes. I still get and receive text messages, emails, calls, and have access to my contacts and calender too.

I jump in my car and it tethers BT to my Sync system, streams music and funnels calls right to me. Seamless. One silly thing I like about it is that I can keep my phone in silent mode so that it's vibrating and noises don't disturb anyone. In fact during the day it's been nice not hearing a peep from it. Instead I can simply wear my watch and be the only one who knows that I am looking at my messages/communications.

4. Daalseth macrumors 6502a

I have to say I agree with NY Guitarist on this one.
    I stopped wearing a watch about a decade ago when I realized that I was literally always within eye-shot of a clock. TV, Stove, Coffee Maker, wall clocks, office clocks, clocks on computers, in my car, on my devices, and yes on my phone. My wrist might be more convenient that pulling out the cell but it's less convenient that checking the wall, or looking at my computer screen etc. Just as the iPhone had to do a heck of a lot more than make calls to entice me, a smart watch will have to do a heck of a lot more than tell time to get me to wear one.

And no, acting as a dumb terminal for my phone does not count.

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Very likely to buy one before it is specked out? That's a bit crazy to me. I'll need to see the battery life and price tags before even considering to purchase one.

6. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

I've had my Pebble for a few weeks now (which, btw, could be found for 80 bucks over the last few days). It's really nice once you get the right watch faces/apps and learn how to deal with the few iOS shortcomings. I can only imagine that the Apple watch will work more seamlessly and have more functionality, despite it's relatively poor battery life and lack of water resistance. After spending time with the Pebble, I'm definitely sold on smart watches. So nice to keep my phone in my pocket or on the charger and still be able to keep up with incoming notifications.

7. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Ohh you better believe in this electronic age that those kids are going to hit up pops, moms, granny, and grandpa for every red cent they can get their hands on. Now hopefully, (what I would do) moms and pops will tell the kid, okay you put $175 and I'll take care of the rest. A good graduation or birthday gift as well.

I love watches but I just can't see this thing being of any value pass the time frame an iphone will be in it's original birth. As iOS develops, that particular chip gets left behind more and more. Perhaps this is the reason for NOT making the watch a stand-alone timepiece and to just keep it tethered to the latest phone/iOS. And for that reason, I can see longevity in it.

8. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

so.. more Chinese *percentage wise* than US are going to buy smartwatch?

so. 250 million smart watches from China confirmed?

Let's face it, in some region of the world, people commonly lie to make themselves feel better about their ability to afford something

9. BigInDallas macrumors regular

BigInDallas

So the best you have is to say I have no knowledge? Wrong

I have been in the laboratory field for 16 years. Is blood glucose happening now... NOPE... Inthe next five years... NOPE People have been working and an AIDS cure for 20 years.. hows that working?

So maybe you should quiet down

10. AtomicGrog macrumors regular

Am likely to be one of the 10% but it somewhat depends on how viable it is to develop apps on the phone.

If it's a close environment (iPod nano...) I'll not be interested, if it's open I'll be keen to see if I can integrate it into my home automation. Maybe even for things like the XBMC setup.

11. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

You carry around a single-purpose "fob" just to lock and unlock your car? That's so 2005!

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I want my Viper Remote Start App for my watch. That would be awesome.

13. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Many problems with this survey. First of all, the pricing hasn't been fully announced yet. Second, the sample size of 4,000 is very low.

And also, there's only data from 4 countries? I don't understand why this is even on the front page.

14. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

You had me until this response, well the tone of it. This is a discussion, not a fight.

I'm wearing a Dexcom G4 now, and it looks like they are working with Apple on using the tracking for the Health App, which I'm excited about. As for the noninvasive CGM, that technology is exciting, but even the subcutaneous ones are for indicative use only, and not for adjusting the insulin.

Dexcom, Minimed, and Animas, among others, are working on the closed loop system, but for diabetics, and the consequence of an insulin overdose can be deadly (car crash, BS drop below 40 mg/dl, and the consequences of that loss of bodily control), where an insulin underdose has long-term consequences (complications of eyes, heart, kidneys, etc.). There are a great many things to consider before it can be a closed loop system.

Anyways, which companies are working with Apple on the non-invasive BG measurements?

As for the cancer screening, that is exciting stuff. I think, at the rate we are discovering things, the first trials may be 5-7 years away, rather than 20-30, but that is exciting for my children!

15. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Seems to me that he was right..... No need to be a douche bag about it.

16. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I think that comes from jumping in with both feet and buying the first Betamax off the truck, only to learn that lesson by buying the first HD-DVD.

17. aperry macrumors 6502a

I have no interest in this watch and I'm skeptical of these projections. I think there are a lot of reasons why this launch (and category) are different from previous Apple successes. But who knows, obviously Apple is not to be underestimated. Personally I think the watch is kind of ugly, and it doesn't seem to provide much functionality (if any) on top of the current smartwatch offerings unless you love the design and the UI, both of which seem unimpressive to me. This is all highly subjective, obviously.

I would buy a watch that gave me this:

Physical design of the moto360 (without flat tire)
    Built in GPS (AFAIK only Sony has this)
    Offline music playback (via BT headphones)
    Battery life that lasts at least two full days
    Display tech that's readable in the sunlight, and somewhere close to 300ppi
    Waterproof (submergible)

So basically a Sony Smartwatch3 in a Moto360 body, without the flat tire. I don't think we're too far from that. Maybe the next version of the Moto360 will be the winner.

18. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

OMG you are so wrong lol. It's not a teeny iPhone because is has "THE KNOB." It's like a magic knob or something.

----------

Let's say you DO need to get the phone out of your pocket after you glance at your wrist. Do you think having a lump sticking way up over your wrist might make it harder to get into said pocket?

19. Andromeda221 macrumors newbie

Congratulations that means absolutely nothing, and you know nothing about it.

20. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

Speaking as an Amiga owner and Betamax owner, I agree.

----------

I have an iPhone 6+. So, no, I don't think an Apple Watch on my wrist is going to keep me from getting my fingers into my pocket.

21. inhalexhale1 macrumors 65816

I'm not sure what you mean. What I'm saying is that I don't view the Apple Watch as a fine watch. Every variation looks like a sport watch to me. Further, charging my daily watch every day (or more) isn't something I would be willing to do. If I were to get one, it would be the sport model to wear for workouts and active stuff.

How you get "I want to buy cheap watches" from that is beyond me. :confused:

22. ParanoidDroid macrumors 6502

ParanoidDroid

Dear Apple,

you really really need to convince me to buy this :apple:watch. I am a smart customer, and I need smart arguments for my perhaps dumb purchase decision getting a smart bluetooth extension–running on a dumb battery–for my already very very smart iPhone. :cool:

Best regards,
    :apple:fanboy

23. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I'll be getting the stainless steel model. Not sure about the strap yet.

I've had a Pebble for a year or so. I use it when I'm out, not much at home. I can see using the Apple Watch when cycling or in meetings or when giving lectures. I like getting discreet alerts that I can glance at rather than having to pull out my iPhone to see what the message was.

As others have pointed out, we don't yet know everything the Watch will do, so surveys of this sort are interesting but premature.

24. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I keep mine in my shirt pocket, so no lump interference, but if I kept it in my pants pocket, well... which lump are we interfering with? :D

25. ksuyen macrumors 6502a

ksuyen

It's interesting to see that in China, it's more than 50% people (very and somewhat) likely to get one, whereas they're about 10% of people from the Western countries feel the same.

I predict the percentage will meet in the middle somewhat when the actual products arrive, where people in China and people from Western countries who actually buy one are equally in the range of 30 to 40%.