10-Year-Old Unlocks Face ID on His Mother's iPhone X as Questionable Mask Spoofing Surfaces

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2017.

1. shplock macrumors regular

Jealous much? LOL

Seriously, though if you think you can do better than show us otherwise what do you want? A ticker tape parade ? The red carpet ?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I hate to say it, but it is true. I really see banks pulling this feature soon unless Apple can address this via software.

3. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

This is about good design and bad design. That's how this affects me. If you're going to put a notch into the display area, well you better make sure it actually works 100% of the time.

4. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

There's always the struggle of convenience vs security. Touch ID and Face ID are more convenient but less secure on their own while a strong password is more secure but less convenient. A better compromise is to combine both Touch ID with Face ID as a multi-factor authentication (MFA) since you already have to look and touch the phone with Face ID. Only roadblock is the slightly higher cost to Apple and their profit margin.

5. brendu macrumors 68020

I said IF FaceID can’t. I never said one way or the other whether it can or can’t. I don’t have an iPhone X.

6. shplock macrumors regular

Yes because people never ever lie do they? I mean the Mother and Son are always right and always innocent aren't they?

7. fairuz macrumors 6502a

fairuz

Or TouchID. Wait for this stuff to be stable. TouchID was also crappy at first.

8. Chloros macrumors member

Chloros

Hmmm thats not what was said at the Apple Event. Wasnt it like a million to one? These people should be buying lotto tickets. Anyway.....they are unlocking it wrong.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

but you would actually have to know the password. If you can pick up your parents iphone and unlock it without any security code needed that is a problem.

10. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

I think the comment was intended for people who were concerned that their look-alike ten year old child would be kidnapped and used to unlock their phone.

11. brendu macrumors 68020

Sure critize the parenting skills of a complete stranger with absolutely no idea of the circumstances involving their kids or the potential for them to pick up a phone. You clearly don’t have kids and if you do you should know better than to make such a dumbass statement.

12. techwhiz macrumors 6502a

Did they unlock the phone at anytime with their PIN after he tried to unlock the phone?
    Don't do that!

13. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Shouldn't it work first time though? Isn't this a fundamental flaw in the technology that it needs to learn over time?
    I want my device secure the minute I've completed setting it up. Not one week or a month later.

14. shplock macrumors regular

Source: The kid still could access the phone with touch id, just grab her phone and enter the passcode just as did with the iPhone X

15. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

Apple abandoned TouchID at 2nd Generation. Likewise, Face ID could also be abandoned in favor of some prickly device which tests your blood for specific DNA and then unlocks your iPhone.

16. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

:rolleyes: Really? Discipline a curious kid?

17. shplock macrumors regular

Try reading my reply..They LIED (maybe)! People do lie you know...even MUMS and SONS!

18. Zxxv macrumors 68040

In my day the slap around the head code would have deployed so quick I'd have thought I was time travelling.

19. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Soooo basically FaceID is an utterly pointless security measure and Apple suggest you go back 5 years and use a ‘passcode’.

Yeah that’s value for money, a grand for ditching something that works for something that doesn’t...

20. shplock macrumors regular

Well then I have no problems with my Face ID on my iPhone X

21. MarkB786 macrumors 6502

Yep. And what about twins? Face ID is overrated and not a reason to spend $1,200.

22. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

That would still be a failure of the security system. Imagine a password system that asks for a password input twice for setup confirmation and accepting a different password on the second try then using a hybrid of the two passwords. If Fake ID allows setting up with two different faces then it's still a fail.

23. MacBebe macrumors regular

I don't really care about all these people saying FaceID can be fooled. Still waiting for mine. :(

24. JamieLannister macrumors regular

JamieLannister

why would I pay $1k+ for an iPhone? Regardless of whatever apple is selling, it's all late to the game features. Wireless charging at 5w, when you get 15W with fast charging (Samsung). Of course I can do better and have been. When you parade around with a top model toy that's $1249+ you best make sure your highly touted security feature works flawlessly. Otherwise what is the incentive for owning an iPhone X? It's definitely not the notch, not the lack of headphone jack, lack of wireless fast charging (even fast charging out of the box), lack of NFC read/write, lack of Samsung pay (MST), the list goes on. Worse feature missing is the ability to pause video recording. No thank you!

But you already know that!

25. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I think they did provide some context though..... From the article it happened right after they were done setting up the new phone