Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IAmTheCrack

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2009
My company requires that I enter a password if I have my exchange account on my iPhone. I used to be able to set it so that I only enter a password every 15 minutes. Now it's locked on immediately. The second my screen goes dark, I'm prompted to enter a password again.

zookster

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2009
They fixed the iPod app so now you can swipe to the right on an album cover while the playback indicator is up and return to the previous menu.

Yes, but now on the Album Flow, covers from the same albums keep appearing over and over and over again, vs. once in 2.2.1. My iPod nano (gen 4) does the same thing, so maybe it is just how the iPod app works now.

infectbda

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2004
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but smart playlists are being updated on the device now. This seems to only kind of work at the moment. Some of my smart playlists are a complete and utter mess. I'm thinking maybe they'll add the ability to create smart playlists on the device in a future update.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Hey all... I found a new and welcome feature in mobile safari today. Now, you are able to close the only page that is open. Before, I had to make a new page, go back to my tabs and close the previous page.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
New Update

Hey all...sorry for any delays but here are some more New Features and reviews for: iPod, App Store, iTunes, Stocks, YouTube and Keyboard. I have now listed over 20 new features, there are some obvious I have not talked about but will list those as soon as I finish the last 4 Native Apps.

There were no direct questions so will not respond to anyone directly. I do thank all of you that have added to this thread and thank you for the compliments.

Additional help is always welcome so please feel free to post your finds. Try to format your reviews in the same manner as I have and then I will just copy and paste them to the front page for those that do not want to read this whole thread.

Enjoy today's update.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Hey all...sorry for any delays but here are some more New Features and reviews for: iPod, App Store, iTunes, Stocks, YouTube and Keyboard. I have now listed over 20 new features, there are some obvious I have not talked about but will list those as soon as I finish the last 4 Native Apps.

There were no direct questions so will not respond to anyone directly. I do thank all of you that have added to this thread and thank you for the compliments.

Additional help is always welcome so please feel free to post your finds. Try to format your reviews in the same manner as I have and then I will just copy and paste them to the front page for those that do not want to read this whole thread.

Enjoy today's update.

Can you add these?:

MobileSafari: Now, you are able to close the only page that is open. Before, I had to make a new page, go back to my tabs and close the previous page. For those that don't know... closing all pages in Safari makes Safari quit when you press the home button... it doesn't just hide it... it actually stops Safari from running completely until you open it again. (Yes, Safari runs in the background by default if there are any webpages open).

MobileSafari: In landscape mode, the bottom bar is semi-transparent. However, in portrait mode, it's opaque.

iPod: Now you can swipe to the right on an album cover while the playback indicator is up and return to the previous menu. In previous versions, if the play indicator was up, swiping to the right would not work... it would only work if you have the playback indicator was hidden.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Can you add these?:

MobileSafari: Now, you are able to close the only page that is open. Before, I had to make a new page, go back to my tabs and close the previous page. For those that don't know... closing all pages in Safari makes Safari quit when you press the home button... it doesn't just hide it... it actually stops Safari from running completely until you open it again. (Yes, Safari runs in the background by default if there are any webpages open).

MobileSafari: In landscape mode, the bottom bar is semi-transparent. However, in portrait mode, it's opaque.

iPod: Now you can swipe to the right on an album cover while the playback indicator is up and return to the previous menu. In previous versions, if the play indicator was up, swiping to the right would not work... it would only work if you have the playback indicator was hidden.

Thank You...have added the iPod entry to the front and will include the Safari updates when I post the Safari review by this weekend.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Yes, but now on the Album Flow, covers from the same albums keep appearing over and over and over again, vs. once in 2.2.1. My iPod nano (gen 4) does the same thing, so maybe it is just how the iPod app works now.
It's always worked that way, at least with coverflow. You're probably seeing an album with multiple artists when viewing in artist mode.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but smart playlists are being updated on the device now. This seems to only kind of work at the moment. Some of my smart playlists are a complete and utter mess. I'm thinking maybe they'll add the ability to create smart playlists on the device in a future update.
That works on 2.2.1 for me. I have a podcast smart playlist (for my car which doesn't see the default podcast playlist in the iPod app) and when I download a podcast from the iTS on the iPhone it automatically shows up in the podcast smart playlist that I created.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Sms

Hey I'm not sure if SMS has been addressed or not..

1. You can now copy individual and multiple SMS messages and paste them elsewhere.

2. You can now delete individual messages instead of a whole convo. You can also forward individual messages to other people as well.

3. While a SMS is being sent you can go to other messages or create new ones, instead of being locked on that screen.

4. If a SMS message fails to send, a red exclamation point is placed next to it. Clicking it, it will prompt you to resend the message or not.

5. You can now type in landscape form. Either way. (The home button can be either left or right)

6. MMS is now a feature when carrier enabled. There is a camera next to the input box in SMS. Clicking allows you to choose a preexisting pic or prompts you to take a new one. This takes you to camera mode, and after taking it you can choose to send. You can also type a message with a picture that you want to MMS.

cjandnw

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
South Jersey

1. You can now copy individual and multiple SMS messages and paste them elsewhere.

2. You can now delete individual messages instead of a whole convo. You can also forward individual messages to other people as well.

3. While an SMS is being sent you can go to other messages or create new ones, instead of being locked on that screen.

4. If a SMS messages fails to send, a red exclamation point is placed next to it. Clicking it, it will prompt you to resend the message or not.

5. You can now type in landscape form. Either way. (The home button can be either left or right)

6. MMS is now a feature when carrier enabled. There is a camera next to the input box in SMS. Clicking allows you to choose a preexisting pic or prompts you to take a new one. This takes you to camera mode, and after taking it you can choose to send. You can also type a message with a picture that you want to MMS.

thats great

---
c) PHONE: For some reason, now allows the user to change the phone number. No other changes.
---

This has something todo with MMS, As i started my Messenging Application it told me to fill out my Phone number in the Settings as without I will not be able to use MMS Properly.

On another note, i found this in another thread:

If you turn off the keyboard sounds and lock sounds the keyboard overall will be way snappier, I tried it and it really seems to be working way better/faster.

best

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
New Update & Consolidation

Hello again everyone, hope your weekend is going well!

Do to character restrictions I had to edit and consolidate the first post. It is now brief and to the point. For those of you that have contributed, I have moved your contribution to the front but had to rewrite to conserve space. If I made a mistake, please PM me...do not post here and I will fix. I am still giving credit where credit is do.

Today's update includes SMS, Safari, Battery/Memory Tests and a lot of the new features that can not be tested but some information was provided by apple. We are now over 30.

I have also completed a memory test that may be VERY interesting to some and provide an explanation to 2.2.1 users as well. It is posted at the bottom of entry one but may need to be moved in the future.

I figured out what my battery problems were and am now testing and posting the results. All 3rd Party Native Apps have been removed and will be added as they are tested. This will be updated along with future posts.

3. While a SMS is being sent you can go to other messages or create new ones, instead of being locked on that screen.

4. If a SMS message fails to send, a red exclamation point is placed next to it. Clicking it, it will prompt you to resend the message or not.

Thank You...Copied to the REVIEW PAGE

---
c) PHONE: For some reason, now allows the user to change the phone number. No other changes.
---

This has something todo with MMS, As i started my Messenging Application it told me to fill out my Phone number in the Settings as without I will not be able to use MMS Properly.

On another note, i found this in another thread:

If you turn off the keyboard sounds and lock sounds the keyboard overall will be way snappier, I tried it and it really seems to be working way better/faster.

best

Added your contribution to the front page as well...Thank you for the explanation. I did not post the "other note".

Thanks again to all who contribute and will post again in a few more days.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
By the way... I've been closing all pages in Safari for a long time now. Closing all the pages shuts Safari down completely. To do this in 2.2.1, just tap the tabs button, create a new page, tap the tab button again, scroll over to the first page and close it. I'm so thankful they changed this in 3.0... now it's a lot easier to do... just tap tabs and close the page you're on... done.

banerjia

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
About "LOAD REMOTE IMAGES" and Bluetooth Headphones

First the good news - much like most of you guys, I was able to pair my bluetooth headset to the phone. I am using Samsung SBH500. The sound quality is exceptional. However there is indeed a bug that causes "choppy music" when other tasks are performed on the phone with the iPod app running. But if the phone is locked, there are no skips in the music no matter how much you move it. Just to confirm - there is no support as of yet for AVRCP - so headset controls for music don't work. The controls for handling calls work though.

About the LOAD REMOTE IMAGES feature in Mail - as CKD pointed out, it is indeed there to prevent spammers from getting your email address. However it's current implementation is a little buggy. When it's turned off, you will be unable to type in the body area of an email. That has been my experience every time I have turned it off.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
First the good news - much like most of you guys, I was able to pair my bluetooth headset to the phone. I am using Samsung SBH500. The sound quality is exceptional. However there is indeed a bug that causes "choppy music" when other tasks are performed on the phone with the iPod app running. But if the phone is locked, there is interruptions in the music no matter how much you move it. Just to confirm - there is no support as of yet for AVRCP - so headset controls for music don't work. The controls for handling calls work though.

About the LOAD REMOTE IMAGES feature in Mail - as CKD pointed out, it is indeed there to prevent spammers from getting your email address. However it's current implementation is a little buggy. When it's turned off, you will be unable to type in the body area of an email. That has been my experience every time I have turned it off.

I had the same experience with bluetooth and the two headsets I tested. Still unable to pair the Apple one.

Tested the LRI and you are correct. I also was unable to type in the body with it off. I guess you need mobile me to understand its purpose...to me its just another worthless button that I have to make sure its on otherwise I can not type my emails.

Anyway...thanks for the confirmations!

banerjia

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
I had the same experience with bluetooth and the two headsets I tested. Still unable to pair the Apple one.

Tested the LRI and you are correct. I also was unable to type in the body with it off. I guess you need mobile me to understand its purpose...to me its just another worthless button that I have to make sure its on otherwise I can not type my emails.

Anyway...thanks for the confirmations!

I am hoping that they give the LRI option when you open up the email. Most email software do that already. Even OS X Mail gives you that option on a mail-by-mail basis.

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
safari...

Haven't seen this listed, sorry if it has been, but is kind of my favorite feature...

Pressing and holding on a web page link in Safari now allows you to:
*Open
******Open in New Page
*Copy Link

The open in new page is way overdue, I'm soo happy its finally there :D

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Update

Hello All,

New week, new finds and hopefully/maybe an update to the beta software.

I am now looking for help to find all the good stuff. I have and will continue to look for more but contributions would sure help.

Mainly I am focused on my battery test and have posted a total of four tests now. I am finding that it is the 3rd party apps and not being compatible with the 3.0 software that are the culprits. This is NOT meant to say there are bad apps, it is saying they do not work PROPERLY with 3.0. My big battery killer so far was Google Mobile App. as you can see by my tests. There may be more and I will continue to test as I add one app per test session and post the results.

I would appreciate anyone willing to provide the same test with the Google Mobile App on 3.0 and 2.2.1 over a 12 hour period and no other 3rd party apps to confirm my results.

I will continue to move finds to the front page and if bugs are fixed will remove and/or report changes.

Haven't seen this listed, sorry if it has been, but is kind of my favorite feature...

Pressing and holding on a web page link in Safari now allows you to:
*Open
******Open in New Page
*Copy Link

The open in new page is way overdue, I'm soo happy its finally there :D

GREAT FIND and I have to totally agree with you. Your find has been added to the front page.

The clock has a new feature! Check the Stopwatch feature and compare it to 2.1

I will look and update the front page when the wife gets home from work with her 2.2.1 so that I can see what you are referring to. Once confirmed (and I know what to say) I will post on the front page.

Thanks again all for your help and contribution!

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Hey guys,
I believe I have found one additional thing. If not I apologize because I have never noticed it. But when adding a contact you have the option to add IM screen names and when choosing what kind of number you are saving(mobile, home, work, etc..) you have have the option to choose iPhone. I thought that was pretty neat.

Also, I just did a fresh install of my 3.0 beta via i-Tunes(also restored from backup) this time instead of xcode. It seems to have helped. I have also turned off lock sounds and keyboard sounds which speeds things up. I have not noticed any ipod crashes as of yet(Ive only used it twice today). Lastly, is their a way to shut down the ipod without restarting the phone? I have a feeling once these memory leaks are nipped in the bud this beta should get really good.

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread!

So far every bug I've encountered i've been able to compare to this thread and settle it/deal with it appropriately...save one.

I've encountered an intermittent issue in Safari: Will not rotate to landscape. In any view, on any site.

Sometimes a restart of the phone fixes it. Sometimes, it does not. Sometimes landscape works, then when I return to Safari later, it will not work.

Any similar experiences?

Update: Just found a way to activate landscape when it seems to be not working.
1. starting with blank page
2. hold iPhone in landscape
3. select bookmark
4. as it loads the site it will rotate. After that, the accelerometer should respond to back and forth.

To clarify, my issue was with Safari not responding to rotation on a page already loaded.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
The clock has a new feature! Check the Stopwatch feature and compare it to 2.1

Did a comparison check and all features remain the same between 3.0 & 2.2.1
If you have found something could you be more specific?

Hey guys,
I believe I have found one additional thing. If not I apologize because I have never noticed it. But when adding a contact you have the option to add IM screen names and when choosing what kind of number you are saving(mobile, home, work, etc..) you have have the option to choose iPhone. I thought that was pretty neat.

Also, I just did a fresh install of my 3.0 beta via i-Tunes(also restored from backup) this time instead of xcode. It seems to have helped. I have also turned off lock sounds and keyboard sounds which speeds things up. I have not noticed any ipod crashes as of yet(Ive only used it twice today). Lastly, is their a way to shut down the ipod without restarting the phone? I have a feeling once these memory leaks are nipped in the bud this beta should get really good.

The menu selections do look like there are more choices but I believe they just made them more visible. In version 2.2.1 you had a selection of additional options at the bottom and if you selected this it showed most of that stuff. I will look further when my wife brings home 2.2.1.

The only way to take iPod out of FreeMemory right now is to shut off the iPhone. The "Hold for 3 sec Home Button" close option does not work right now. It only uses 5mb of memory per my testing on the front page.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread!

So far every bug I've encountered i've been able to compare to this thread and settle it/deal with it appropriately...save one.

I've encountered an intermittent issue in Safari: Will not rotate to landscape. In any view, on any site.

Sometimes a restart of the phone fixes it. Sometimes, it does not. Sometimes landscape works, then when I return to Safari later, it will not work.

Any similar experiences?

My Safari does not rotate to landscape mode at all. Everything else does, but not safari. My recommendation is to close all Safari Web pages until u get a blank one then open your site and see if it works. Cannot test for you since mine does not rotate. Let us know.

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
My Safari does not rotate to landscape mode at all. Everything else does, but not safari. My recommendation is to close all Safari Web pages until u get a blank one then open your site and see if it works. Cannot test for you since mine does not rotate. Let us know.

Thats basically what I did and it worked. Again, I cleared all pages, quit Safari, relaunch, yada yada..

- Hold it in landscape while looking at bookmarks (mine does not rotate at this point)

-Touch bookmark. As the page starts to load, mine rotates to landscape.

Before I figured this out, I tried toggling "Block popups" off, then back on. Might have had something to do with it, might not.

Hope you can get this to work.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Thats basically what I did and it worked. Again, I cleared all pages, quit Safari, relaunch, yada yada..

- Hold it in landscape while looking at bookmarks (mine does not rotate at this point)

-Touch bookmark. As the page starts to load, mine rotates to landscape.

Before I figured this out, I tried toggling "Block popups" off, then back on. Might have had something to do with it, might not.

Hope you can get this to work.

Safari is extremely buggy for me in 3.0 beta 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.