Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple suppliers will begin competing to win manufacturing orders for new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with Mini-LED displays in the first quarter of 2021, according to Taiwanese research firm TrendForce.

macbook-pro-13-inch.jpg

Rumors of a 14-inch MacBook Pro have surfaced since Apple replaced the 15-inch MacBook Pro with a new 16-inch model last year. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has previously said that Apple plans to release at least six Mini-LED products by the end of 2021, including 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models, so reports are beginning to align.

Mini-LED displays offer many of the same benefits as OLED displays on the latest iPhones, including high brightness and high contrast ratio. The panels could also allow for thinner and lighter product designs.

As part of WWDC last month, Apple announced that it will be switching to its own custom-designed processors for Macs starting later this year, and it expects the transition to be completed in around two years. Given this timeframe, it is certainly possible that these 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models will be powered by Apple Silicon.

TrendForce also expects Apple to release a 12.9-inch iPad Pro with a Mini-LED display in the first quarter of 2021, in line with recent rumors. The research firm expects the device to have a 5nm-based A14X chip. As with iPhone 12 models, the next iPad Pro models are also expected to feature 5G connectivity.

Article Link: 14-Inch MacBook Pro With Mini-LED Display Expected to Enter Production in 2021

kshitijshah

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2012
Starting to believe Apple can pull off a 10 hour plus battery life on a MacBook Pro 16 with LTE

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
Damnit... should’ve waited. Happy with my 16”, but agree: this 14” sounds just about perfect.

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
2021 is shaping up to be an outstanding year for Apple hardware

Major new iPad and Mac launches, AirPod 3, AirTags, iPhone 12 (Fall), Watch 6. Apple Card payment plan

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
First quarter as in March 2021 ? Yeah, I will definitely upgrade to the 16" MBP Apple Silicon when its released.

Note that this is production - usually takes a quarter to ramp up, so these will most likely arrive in the summer.

I'm about to get a maxxed 16" thru work which is cool... but my personal machine is an aging '16 13" nTB. I'm really eager to replace it and would love to hold out for the 14", but have a feeling that I may just opt for a refurbed 13" '20 when those come out to tide me over for a year until the refurbed 14" are available.

mzeb

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
My current rig is a 2019 13” with a Vega 64 eGPU. Love it. This would be my next jump but I very much have concerns about thunderbolt on ARM Macs. If I can’t use my eGPU I will be hesitant to jump.

Reactions: Val-kyrie

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
That 14" looks like to be the next computer i will buy. It as to have arm. I do not care that much about cpu power as i am sure it will have enough for me but i hope the graphics will be a step up from Intel's integrated.
The A12Z GPU benchmarks about 1.5 times as powerful as intel’s latest G7 iGPU.

Wish I could find the article. It was on anandtech but not having any luck with my internet searches.

Reactions: Spungoflex

ph001bi

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
London
And will end up having an ARM processor ?
Apple will want to hit the ground running, I can only assume that this processor will be a beast. Apple will want to introduce something memorable like "bottom of the range ArmMac 14 inch faster than top of the line 16 inch intelMacl". I have some concerns about some Apps as I've started to see messages about "this application won't work in future versions of MacOS". There could be limitations which we haven't heard about yet popping up.

Reactions: Val-kyrie

vionc

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
Sounds great! So looking forward to that release!
So is it Q1 2021 production or release?

I second the Face ID, round edges.
A magsafe USB-C adapter would be bliss as well but seems like thats not even on their minds anymore....

Either way, definitely gonna be a great machine :D

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I was surprised Apple did not update the 16" MacBook Pro to Comet Lake-H when they added the 5600M since they had to make a new systemboard for the GPU so why not also update the CPU (which needed a new socket, as well)?

But if the recent 13" and 16" refreshes were the last for Intel-powered models, then it makes sense. The 2021 MiniLED models can launch with Apple Silicon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.