Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

14-Inch MacBook Pro With Mini-LED Display Expected to Enter Production in 2021

Useless Touchbar

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2020
I hope they don't make the lid any thinner even if the new screen tech would allow it, they are already too flimsy in my opinion.

Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
Mini LED. Micr-LCD, OLED, I am getting confused...wasn't OLED was going to be the super technology of the future?

Yeah I guess you can make that argument. Personally, Im drooling at the thought of me getting up from my desk, my mac auto locks and auto unlocks when I come back. Opening the lid and you're instantly logged in, not a single touch required etc...

Also, you don't really have the issues of "not being in range" for Face ID as happens with the iPhone sometimes.
A Macbook almost always sits in a similar spot in relation to your face. Orientation problems don't really happen... I think it could really be a great experience

I am a huge supported of the touchID over FaceID, but the thought that I do not have to type in my password each time I unlock my laptop is very appealing unfortunately its not too practical since I want to cover it for privacy reasons, I just don't trust software in the background you never know what "bug" will be discovered at the price of my privacy.

Comment

Jony Ive and Co.

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2020
They need to make a thicker display then..
Apple should NEVER increase thickness of any device as it is like going backwards in time. Even now, iPhones shouldnt be increasing in thickness every year since iPhone 6 (i.e. iPhone 6S was 0.01 inch thicker than 6, and 7, 8, X, XS Max, and XR all increased in thickness even more every year).
For the MBP to have a thicker display (and hence overall unibody) is unacceptable. Jony Ive would never have allowed this to happen.
[automerge]1594297248[/automerge]
Something tells me with Apple Silicon, MacBooks will be able to have close to 14-18 hours of battery life. Maybe even 20?
Apple better increase battery life with the next gen MBP. Battery life has basically been stagnant (at ~10 hrs) for the better part of the past decade (battery life improved by ~2 hours in MBA in the early 2010s (2012-13)).
Its time to move on past the ~10hrs battery life.

Comment

canhaz

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
Face ID is the last thing I want on a laptop.

Yeah, my partner refuses to use an iPhone with FaceID. I'm curious to why this is? I've failed to get anywhere by explaining the data is on device with a secure enclave and not sent to Apple or anyone else. It seems like a privacy win.

Perhaps I'm mistaken and we should be worried about it? Happy to learn.
[automerge]1594306646[/automerge]
They aren't going to be called MacBooks IMO. They are going to be called :apple:Books, or potentially something different. Keep in mind:
  • PowerBook when we were on PowerPC
  • MacBook when we were on Intel.
  • :apple:Book for Apple Silicon?
It would also unify some of their branding. :apple:TV, :apple:Watch, :apple:Book.

Hmm, you make a valid argument, but man I dunno. To me it seems rather unlikely. The word "Mac" has come to be so entrenched in the Zeitgeist and I think very few members of the public would associate the word "Mac" with the word "Intel" in any meaningful way.

Visit any cross-platform software download page on the internet. It says Windows, Linux, Mac.

Last edited:
Reactions: vionc
Comment

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Let's hope they have improved or completely changed the coating on these displays. Mine has worn off 3 times and the 3rd time they didn't replace my display because it was past their 4 year policy for this coating issue. Luckily even though it's bad, it's not noticeable when the display is on and backlit.

Comment

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Honestly if Apple has the same SIZED BEZEL's as from 2016 then it would be so sad...They really need to look into the Apple design team...Look at Dell's 13" & 15" 17" XPS line up...Those Laptops have barely any bezels...Apple step up the game for once...Don't give us a HALF ASS THICK BEZEL screen with 720p again....

The major disadvantage to that "Infinity Edge" on Dells is the webcam has to be at the bottom of the screen so you get "CrotchCam" and "KeyboardCam". :p :eek:

Mini LED. Micr-LCD, OLED, I am getting confused...wasn't OLED was going to be the super technology of the future?

Micro-LCD and OLED both have the advantage of being emissive technologies, where the individual pixels generate their own light and color. So no need for backlights so no backlight bleeding and therefore "true blacks".

Micro-LCD should scale better than OLED in terms of production, so over time it should be cheaper than OLED. It also evidently is immune to burn-in and can generate more peak nit brightness than OLED.

Comment

vionc

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
Apple should NEVER increase thickness of any device as it is like going backwards in time. Even now, iPhones shouldnt be increasing in thickness every year since iPhone 6 (i.e. iPhone 6S was 0.01 inch thicker than 6, and 7, 8, X, XS Max, and XR all increased in thickness even more every year).
For the MBP to have a thicker display (and hence overall unibody) is unacceptable. Jony Ive would never have allowed this to happen.
[automerge]1594297248[/automerge]

Apple better increase battery life with the next gen MBP. Battery life has basically been stagnant (at ~10 hrs) for the better part of the past decade (battery life improved by ~2 hours in MBA in the early 2010s (2012-13)).
Its time to move on past the ~10hrs battery life.

Thats a very weird obsession with thinness and Jony Ive.
Have iPhone sales experienced a significant drop because of the increase in thickness? Not that I am aware of.

I doubt most people actually care as long as it isn't too noticeable. A few mm added thickness for a new feature / better battery life / increased product longevity is a trade many people will be happy to (unconsciously) make.
Most people who put their phones/ laptops in cases etc obviously don't care about it too much.

And added structural integrity for a laptop display is always a plus.

Reactions: canhaz
Comment

canhaz

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
The major disadvantage to that "Infinity Edge" on Dells is the webcam has to be at the bottom of the screen so you get "CrotchCam" and "KeyboardCam". :p :eek:

Yup, this used to be true. However, new 2020 XPS with the famous Infinity Edge, sports the camera up top now.

Reactions: drzen and jerryk
Comment

vionc

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020

I am a huge supported of the touchID over FaceID, but the thought that I do not have to type in my password each time I unlock my laptop is very appealing unfortunately its not too practical since I want to cover it for privacy reasons, I just don't trust software in the background you never know what "bug" will be discovered at the price of my privacy.

I totally get your privacy concerns.

Personally though I trust Apple that Face-ID data is not uploaded to their servers. They have shown quite a few times that they are actually serious about data privacy.

Another facet of the picture is that eg. the government already has my biometric info, and honestly I trust apple a little more than government contractors to keep these kinds of data secure. They definitely have the better technical expertise.

Finally, no system is ever 100% secure. You can never truly eliminate the possibility that your data might get leaked, whether it be touch or Face-ID, on iPhone or iPad or Mac.

So not to use FaceID is a legitimate choice in my opinion, though for me the added convenience and benefits outweigh the risks.

Maybe there will be stickers for the new MacBook that only block FaceID but not the camera, similar to the stickers / sliders available today....

Comment

Mauro Marcenaro

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020

Apple suppliers will begin competing to win manufacturing orders for new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with Mini-LED displays in the first quarter of 2021, according to Taiwanese research firm TrendForce.

Rumors of a 14-inch MacBook Pro have surfaced since Apple replaced the 15-inch MacBook Pro with a new 16-inch model last year. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has previously said that Apple plans to release at least six Mini-LED products by the end of 2021, including 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models, so reports are beginning to align.

Mini-LED displays offer many of the same benefits as OLED displays on the latest iPhones, including high brightness and high contrast ratio. The panels could also allow for thinner and lighter product designs.

As part of WWDC last month, Apple announced that it will be switching to its own custom-designed processors for Macs starting later this year, and it expects the transition to be completed in around two years. Given this timeframe, it is certainly possible that these 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models will be powered by Apple Silicon.

TrendForce also expects Apple to release a 12.9-inch iPad Pro with a Mini-LED display in the first quarter of 2021, in line with recent rumors. The research firm expects the device to have a 5nm-based A14X chip. As with iPhone 12 models, the next iPad Pro models are also expected to feature 5G connectivity.

Article Link: 14-Inch MacBook Pro With Mini-LED Display Expected to Enter Production in 2021

Macbook pro will be out in october 2020

w/o mini led panel , ok.

But Apple will not lose Christmas , $$$$<
so we will see a 11 th intel cpu on MBP 16''
and in march come out the first mini led panel and ips panel like we saw in 2011

can be in 2021 we will see 12 th gen intel cpu ON on MBP 16''.

That' s all folk

:)

Comment

Jony Ive and Co.

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2020
They aren't going to be called MacBooks IMO. They are going to be called :apple:Books, or potentially something different. Keep in mind:
  • PowerBook when we were on PowerPC
  • MacBook when we were on Intel.
  • :apple:Book for Apple Silicon?
It would also unify some of their branding. :apple:TV, :apple:Watch, :apple:Book.
This is the last thing I want. Tim Cook messing up product lineup names AGAIN. First, the Apple Watch (should be called "iWatch" to continue with the "i" nomenclature introduced by Steve Jobs). Then the iPad lineup from 2017 onwards ("normal iPad (non-Pro, non-Air)" and dropping the number (i.e. "iPad Air (3rd Gen)" instead of "iPad Air 3")). And also always using "Apple" instead of "i" to brand services (i.e. Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple News etc. Should be iMusic, iTV+, iNews respectively).
Tim Cook needs to stop being arrogant and stop imposing his name branding philosophy over Steve Jobs' one.

• Disagree
Reactions: PickUrPoison
Comment

Tech_Mac_Man

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2018
Toronto, ON

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The NEW Dell XPS 13", 15" and 17" all sport the webcam at the top...In that very thin bezel-less screen...Amazing!

1594355870374.png

Also comes with a 4k Display - FULL size SD Card reader & 3 USB-C ports and a headphone jack oh and better specs than Apple is offering...

Last edited:
Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
I totally get your privacy concerns.

Personally though I trust Apple that Face-ID data is not uploaded to their servers. They have shown quite a few times that they are actually serious about data privacy.

Another facet of the picture is that eg. the government already has my biometric info, and honestly I trust apple a little more than government contractors to keep these kinds of data secure. They definitely have the better technical expertise.

Finally, no system is ever 100% secure. You can never truly eliminate the possibility that your data might get leaked, whether it be touch or Face-ID, on iPhone or iPad or Mac.

So not to use FaceID is a legitimate choice in my opinion, though for me the added convenience and benefits outweigh the risks.

Maybe there will be stickers for the new MacBook that only block FaceID but not the camera, similar to the stickers / sliders available today....

its not Apple that I am worried about, its the 3rd party apps. You never know what Chrome is doing, or what Microsoft is recording. Haven't you seen the outrage that happened when iOS 14 starting informing people which apps are reading their clipboards?

Comment

vionc

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
its not Apple that I am worried about, its the 3rd party apps. You never know what Chrome is doing, or what Microsoft is recording. Haven't you seen the outrage that happened when iOS 14 starting informing people which apps are reading their clipboards?

yeah. But no app has ever had access to FaceID data as it is kept in the secure enclave in the T2 chip. The risk you are describing is the same for any Mac or PC as long as it has a camera.
And this shows again that Apple genuinely cares about your privacy. In iOS 14, the paste notifications and the “mic/camera is on” notifications are just another indication for it. Apple tries to put as many sensible restrictions for privacy in place as possible without hurting convenience too much

Comment

incoherent_1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2016
Yeah, my partner refuses to use an iPhone with FaceID. I'm curious to why this is? I've failed to get anywhere by explaining the data is on device with a secure enclave and not sent to Apple or anyone else. It seems like a privacy win.

Perhaps I'm mistaken and we should be worried about it? Happy to learn.

For me it’s not a security issue with the tech. I don’t think Face ID is any less secure than Touch ID. My issues are:
1) I keep my laptop camera covered for privacy concerns in case the normal camera is accessed without my permission; this would make Face ID useless (potentially at the expense of removing Touch ID, although I hope not)
2) I have Face ID on my XS and I am not a fan. It was unreliable before COVID, now while wearing a face mask forget about it — I’m not entering my passcode on my phone at least 40-80 times a day. I’ve even shortened my passcode to make it faster (thereby reducing the overall security of the device)

Some people love Face ID and have no issues at all — very happy for them, but I know far more people unhappy With Face ID than Touch ID.

Reactions: canhaz
Comment

dgdosen

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I read and hear rumors of 'touchscreen' support - and given the spacing of icons and menus on Big Sur - agree that it's coming.

With Apple wanting to ship some Arm Mac before the end of the year (on the same day they release Big Sur?) I can see them just replacing guts on a Macbook/Macbook Air/13" Macbook Pro - and then next year, when they do more hardware redesign, support touchscreens/pen support/face_id/mini led/etc - as well as define some of those features as "Pro"

Last edited:
Comment

canhaz

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
For me it’s not a security issue with the tech. I don’t think Face ID is any less secure than Touch ID. My issues are:
1) I keep my laptop camera covered for privacy concerns in case the normal camera is accessed without my permission; this would make Face ID useless (potentially at the expense of removing Touch ID, although I hope not)
2) I have Face ID on my XS and I am not a fan. It was unreliable before COVID, now while wearing a face mask forget about it — I’m not entering my passcode on my phone at least 40-80 times a day. I’ve even shortened my passcode to make it faster (thereby reducing the overall security of the device)

Thanks, your second point makes sense to me. I have the 11 Pro and it works really well. I believe it's improved since the XS though I personally haven't compared. Maybe the 12 it will be close to flawless on execution.

As for the first point, this confuses me because. Do you know of confirmed incidents where the green light doesn't turn on? Apple made it really obvious that a rogue app is recording. Ok so maybe it's possible to bypass though this seems less likely as the system like Big Sur gets more and more locked down. So what is the real concern here?

Even so.. isn't microphone recording usually more invasive and damaging to privacy? Yet virtually no-one seems to care about Microphone covers ;)

Some people love Face ID and have no issues at all — very happy for them, but I know far more people unhappy With Face ID than Touch ID.

Again I agree, though would wager the majority of the population uses Face ID just fine without issue. So even if the number of people that have issues is far more than Touch ID, it's likely to be a minority. Subjectively speaking, itseems to me, Face ID falls shy of the the level of touch bar hate or the old butterfly keyboard issue.

IMO, one solution could be to give people Face ID and Touch ID, with both features able to to be fully disabled. This additive process would seemingly maximize the happiness of the most users, short of a few diehard that want no-one to have nice things (eg Face ID).

Comment

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
1) I keep my laptop camera covered for privacy concerns in case the normal camera is accessed without my permission;

That type of malware does not work with the T2-controlled webcams because it cannot penetrate the secure enclave.

Security researchers at Johns Hopkins did develop an attack vector called "ISeeYou" in 2013 that could disable the iSight activation light, but Apple patched that when JH informed them of it and probably helped motivate Apple to move webcam and light control to the Secure Enclave when they developed it.

Reactions: vionc and canhaz
Comment

incoherent_1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2016
IMO, one solution could be to give people Face ID and Touch ID, with both features able to to be fully disabled. This additive process would seemingly maximize the happiness of the most users, short of a few diehard that want no-one to have nice things (eg Face ID).

Totally agree! I think this is the ideal solution. Hopefully Apple agrees.

Comment

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
<snip>
That doesn’t even makes sense.

Jony Ive “allowed” the iPhone to get thicker for 6 years, why wouldn’t he “allow” the MBP to have a thicker display?

There’s always an engineering trade off between features/tech/size when it comes to electronic devices. For instance, the lid getting thicker might be the only way we get a better camera 🤷‍♂️

If you’re going to use the man’s name, maybe do a little reading about him?

Comment

eduke

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2020
I'm in the market to upgrade my old MBP 13" to a newer model. My credit card company is running an Apple promo which has some great incentives for Macs purchased by Nov. 15.

Is the new 13" entry level M1 worth grabbing now (discounted) or should I wait for the newer 14" or 16" in 20201?

Cheers!

Comment

incoherent_1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2016
I'm in the market to upgrade my old MBP 13" to a newer model. My credit card company is running an Apple promo which has some great incentives for Macs purchased by Nov. 15.

Is the new 13" entry level M1 worth grabbing now (discounted) or should I wait for the newer 14" or 16" in 20201?

Cheers!
I have a 2016 13” MBP, so I’m in at least a similar situation. It’s slow and isn’t as fast as I’d like but it gets the job done for the work I need to do.

My 2 cents: decide now if you want familiarity/dependability or cutting edge tech. You can’t have both. These new machines are absolutely rock solid, but nothing new beyond the chips (which isn’t a small upgrade). Wait and you’ll likely get a new form factor with new bells and whistles, but as my 2016 Pro can attest: that’s not always a good thing. Apple doesn’t have a great track record with Gen 1 products (just look at the recently announced AirPod Pro replacement program), and I wouldn’t buy a Gen 1 product without at least expecting some hiccups, but that’s also where all the sexy new designs will come in. There’s no right or wrong answer.

Reactions: jerryk and eduke
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.